who's a turkey hunter on here ?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by CANTREJC, Jan 31, 2008.

1. CANTREJC

CANTREJC New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Just wount to see who hunts and what states you hunt in and what size birds you kill.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was introduced to turkey hunting in 1999 by a good freind and a very good turkey hunter. He put me on my first 2 birds. We hunt in western Kentucky in some very hilly terrain. We usually find the bigguns on the top of the biggest ridges and we try to get up there before daylight and sat down and wait for the gobble and then try to lightly call. We have had some really good luck this way. My PB is a 25lber with a double beard 11" and 9". My sons PB was a 23 lber with a triple beard 10" and 7" and 5" it was absolutely the most impressive one yet..it had 1 3/8" spurs. My best spurs are 1 1/4 needle points. I have seen the one that my mentor got last year and saw my very first set of 2" spurs. What a bird!!!:crazy:

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    howdy there cantrejc , i'm a avid turkey hunter twice a yr for me . i still remember the first time i went out with my cousin ( more like a uncle too me ) that's all it took for me and was hooked . turkey hunt'n was'nt really that big of thing around here about 20 so yr's ago . this is my favorite thing to do hunt'n wise i really enjoy it now eve more sence my boys hunt with me . i took a friend last yr for his first turkey hunt , i called in 2 that day we got the 2'nd 1 , about dusk i was a nice merriam biggest tom i've took'n out of there it wieghed about 24 'lbs if i remember right had a 8 inch beard maybe 1/4 inch spurrs . the merriams aint known for beards or there spurrs though . but they sure do get plump and make beautiful mounts. are season here this yr opens april 12 too may 25 1 tom only unless you have a limited lisence ,spring season shotgun or bow. fall season 1 of either gender , highpower rifle , shotgun, bow , rimfire, smokepole , as long as the grain of the bullett exceds i think 32 grains . ( here's a pic of that tom from last yr )

Attached Files:

4. CANTREJC

CANTREJC New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Thats some good birds,I've been huntin in upstate south carolina for about 25 years,my best wieght was 26 lbs,best beard 11 best spurs were 1 and a quarter still looking for 1 and a half.Not long to go now can't get here fast enough for me.

5. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    I love huntin' them ole birds. Best bird to date had 11 1/4 beard and 1 5/8 spurs. I watched some good toms throughout deer season and I'm really lookin' forward to some spring huntin'

Brent

6. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I enjoy hunting gobblers too. My best to date is 26.5 lbs w/11" beard and 7/8" spurs. This spring I'm going to try hunting them with "stick and string". That should be interesting.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, I didn't come on here huntin' for turkeys, but I've sure come across a few 'round these parts :big_smile:. (Sorry Jimmy, please forgive me.....I couldn't resist :wink:.)

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I've been hunting turkeys for the last ten years. I must admit, if you get hooked, your're hooked forever. I have gotten a turkey every year I have hunted. I do know one thing, when you think you know a litttle about the sport, some old Tom comes along and shows you different.
    My biggest bird was 23lbs - 11 1/2" beard - 1 1/8" spurrs.
    This spring, a friend and I are headed to Mississippi to give it a go in another state. I can't wait! They have a three bird limit and we will do our best to fill the tags.
    Keep your eyes and ears open and a shell in the chamber!
    Sparky

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm thinkin about givin it a go for the first time this year

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i hunt, i hunt in NE and ill kill anything from big jakes- big toms. i use a shotgun mostly but i wanna kill a bird with my bow too

11. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    TDawgNOK, do it !!!!!!!!! it is someth'n else my friend . once you do it you will be hooked .......

12. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ive done some turkey huntin. ive hunted in parts of california and killed 25lb birds and about the same in nevada. i havnt hunted um yet but the turkeys in Georgia are absolutly rediculously HUGE

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, I hunt them dang birds. I hunt west central Indiana, south of Terre Haute, usually on the Fairbanks Landing public ground, or Green & Sullivan state forest. Best bird- 20#, 9-1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs. Majority of the birds around here are about 2 yr olds.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    thanks for the post. i luv hunting those turkeys. my best to date is a 22lb. tom with an 8in. beard 7/8" spurs. i only bowhunt turkeys. it's a challenge!!:big_smile:

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hey Wil! Mark here. what type of bow do u shoot?

16. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have hunted them all my life, seen the pop in NC at 2,000 for the entire state and rise to over 200,000 birds in the state at the present and see only a few counties open to hunting to now see all 100 counties with open season. All I can say is awesome, that a natural resource has improved before my eyes.

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've been hutning turkeys in NY for about ten years. My biggest is a 23lber with an 8 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Seen a few that dwarfed this bird, but, never close enough to shoot.

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like to think of myself as a turkey hunter but Im still learning. And I still havent harvest a tom yet since I started in 01. Ive come close a few times. Could have shot lots of hen but you cant in the spring season. The turkey round here are hard pressed and by day 3 are all hanging out on private land.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I started when Ark. first reopened season in the mid-70's. I been huntin Missouri and kansas the past 10 years or so and the birds seem bigger than what i killed in southern arkansas. Learing to hunt these hills took some time to figure out. Can't wait to hear the first gobble of spring while i drink my cawfee on the back deck. We seem have had a good hatch last year. I've seen several birds this fall.Good luck everyone and hopefully spring hits us all at the right time.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hunt turkeys in North Eastern New Mexico. I used to hunt with a rifle when we could during our deer season,now its shotgun only. So this past spring I geared up an called in my first spring Toms. They aint my biggest ,but by far the most memorable. The one I'm holding weighed 19 lbs ,8.5" beard ,the one my daughter is holding weighed 17lbs and had a 7 3/4" beard. My biggest is a rio that weighed 25 lbs and had a 10" beard

Attached Files: