Who would support a size limit on catfish in the Santee River in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mrc, May 31, 2006.

1. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Who would support some kind of a size limit on cats in Santee? For instance, how about being allowed to keep all you want under 24" and maybe 1 cat over that size? I think that might help keep the trophies in the water. Before you start blasting me about being a catch and release nut, let me just say that I have never caught a cat over 10 lbs. In fact, this might help me do that!!!:big_smile: Seriously, what do you think?

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Although I have fished Lake Marion only once (and caught just 1 gar), I believe that a size limit could be tried for a while to see how/if the fishery would improve. I was told by some of the locals there that there are so many fish there, with so much too feed on, that limits aren't necessary. But I see no sense in keeping fish over 20 pounds, as the larger ones are the brood fish and the smaller ones are much better eating anyway.

3. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Although I may be wrong (ok so I probably am) but I don't see how the population can support losing so many big fish each year. I think that if something like this were to happen, the world record could be broken multiple times in the coming years.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont think anybody really knows what kind of limits should be there.The big brood fish which some of em arent brood just old fish are the ones that will have the most eggs which can over populate a body of water quicker.You have to think about it from every aspect.I think nature is doing a good job because Santee aint hurtin for catfish in fact the flathead population is growing in the lower lake.The DNR says theyres to many small fish in the system, theyre not gonna grow fast because of competition from the big ones and each other.So who knows like I've said before until catfish becomes a game fish knowbodys gonna study them closely.Some of the other bodies of water in SC needs more attention than Santee in my opinion.Santee might not be as good as it used to be but I hadnt noticed any decline but that may just be more experience as time goes by.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ok before youjudge me look at the statistics in N ew Jersey we get more 50

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    sorry ill talk about this tomorow when i got a clear head

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am all for some kind of harvets restrictions on catfish in SC, but I honestly don't know what the answer is.

Some options:

1) A slot limit; only keeping fish between a certain range. This protects the smaller and larger fish.

2) A maximum size limit. This protects the bigger fish.

3) A total creel limit. This prevents over harvesting.

I think it will take some serious study and input from biologists to determine what works best. Unlike managing deer herds where you can see a turnaround in big bucks in less than five years, catfish take a little longer to grow to trophy proportions.

I am not biologist, but I do not know how a fishery like Santee can sustain the harvest of large fish and expect to maintain producing large fish. I know the biologist are more concerned with maintaining a healthy fishery, and this includes all fish, not just just catfish. This may mean that the harvest of the larger fish provides a better lake for the overall fish population, and we all know that largemouth get the greatest amount of focus when it comes to protection.

The bad news is that the SCDNR is typically a decade behind the rest of the country when it comes to wildlife management, I have seen this firsthand with the whitetail population. They are a "good ol' boy government", and that means that if things are ok now, then they want to leave them alone. Basically they are like to react instead of being proactive.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am! I am!

I am for some sort of slot limit (like they almost passed for the lake last year) that would only allow the take of one large fish per day while continuing to allow for people to take a good number of small to medium fish. It takes too many years to grow a big catfish - they are simply not being replaced as fast as they are being taken out of the population these days. This is a much bigger problem for the lakes which get a rediculous amount of fishing presure, but I would support it statewide.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I am also for some kind of limit but I thiink it should be for the whole state. So it would improve everywhere. If you get some congress information maybe we can all contact whichever one that we need to about this.
    Stephen

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm glad I'm not by myself on the statewide regulation thing.One body of water thats in dyer need of help is Clark Hill.Its not alot of fishing pressure from rod and reel fisherman, its the commercial fishing and the noodling that messes this lake up.

11. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Chris does clark hill have any big blues. I've only fished it a couple of times i caught flat and channels. I did see several trot lines i imagine this does hurt the poulation. I'm going back up there in july cant wait

12. fishfindersc

fishfindersc New Member

State:
    South Carolina

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I tend to agree with WylieCat and Fishfindersc on this, too. I personally would like to see some restrictions to limit the number of big fish (and small fish to some degree) leaving the lakes, but after working with the DNR this spring and having the opportunity to ask a lot of questions regarding catfish, I realize that there isn't a lot of interest in regulating the catfishing. The dnr seems to think there are plenty of fish, including large ones. I'm not in a position to know. I do know we saw lots of big cats (40+ lbs) while shocking stripers for the hatchery, usually in areas just below dams, which are sanctuaries. At least I know there are some big ones out there still, just don't know how many.:confused2:

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah brandon it does have blues just a little hard to find.Did you get that PM I sent you.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hope they do something soon before its to late.

16. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i don't know about a size/creel limit, but Iam all for something that will help preserve big fish waters especially on the Santee/Cooper lakes. I also would like to think that it wouldn't have to be put into law before we as fishermen take the initiative to go ahead and use our own good judgement in being responsible outdoorsmen and conservationists. Hold On. Hold On. Don't jump to conclusions and label me as a tree hugging PETA freak. Nothing could be more to the contrary. But all too often I hear my elder fishermen with the same quote "We used to catch 'em here all the time, now we don't." Besides if you're like me and have children or even grandchildren, well I'd like to think that part of my legacy would be that i taught them to be responsible outdoorsmen, and maybe I left enough fish in the water for them and their children as well.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The bad news is that the SCDNR is typically a decade behind the rest of the country when it comes to wildlife management, I have seen this firsthand with the whitetail population. They are a "good ol' boy government", and that means that if things are ok now, then they want to leave them alone.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina

19. catcherman

catcherman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree that something should be done. The commercial fishers in that area are pulling out alot of fish. But with that said, I've fished alot of waters in central SC and Santee is by far the richest water I've ever fished. I havn't been back there in a few years but people I know that still fish it say that it is as good as it ever was and some say it is better. I've cought some big ones on trotlines and a few nice ones on rod and reel and hope that my kids and grand kids and so on will have that same chance. I hope that what ever, if anything, they do is well thought out.

20. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I would agree to a size limit. I'm not sure if this idea has been brought up yet, but make a law that prohibits the keeping of big cats without a tag....kinda like turkey hunting. If someone wants to keep a cat that is over a specified weight, then he/she must purchase a tag for this cat. Well, I'm not a big turkey hunter, so I don't know if you pre-purchase these tags or post-purchase after the catch. That way, this money used for the tag system will go back into restocking lakes with more cats. On top of that, put a limit on the number of tags that you can purchase during one year. I do, however, know that the one big problem with this would be honesty and actually knowing who caught a "big" cat. In a perfect world, I think this would help!