Who was / is your hero and why??????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Jul 10, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can remember when I was a young lad knee high to a tadpole in 1968 my hero was the man of steel thats right Im talking about SUPER MAN!!!! Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I can also remember waking up every Saturday morning to the smell freshly cooked bacon and eggs and pan cakes wafting in the air and who was standing at the stove so earling in the morning every Saturday morning doing this wonderous thing that even superman was unable to accomplish especially since this man was able to do this after getting off work at 4am from his second job just so that he could spend time with his son every Saturday morning eating bacon, eggs and pan cakes and watching the old cartoon superman. Thats right as you have already probably guessed it was my dear old Dad. Of course I didnt realize it at the time that super heros were fashioned after someone that we already knew and loved but at that time we did'nt know why.
    It wasn't till years later after I had realized who had taught me things like how master the art of archery or how to recognize how to recognize the difference between true North and magnectic north with nothing more than an old lensactic compass purchased from an army navy surplus store or even more important how to do the same thing with the face of your wrist watch(all depending if you were in the northern or southern hemisphere) or to do the same thing with a stick and two stones.
    This same person taught me how to respect the out of doors and how to survive in it not just respect it but appreciate and to love it it. Not to mention how to effectively stalk a deer ,not to kill it it for sport but to supplement the familys food source of course if it just happened to be a pope and young trophy was a plus.
    My Dad also taught me how to tbe patient in the quest to catch a monster CATFISH!!!!!! I didn't realize it at the time but he was teaching me so much more,,,,,, he was also teaching me what it took to suceed in life!!!!
    God how I miss those early Saturday mornings eating breakfast and watching superman cartoons with a true super hero.
    Just this past saturday morning my son of 16 years asked me why I would wake up so early every Saturday morning and fill the house with the aroma of bacon, eggs and pancakes I would simply reply with" Its time to go fishing"!!!!!!
    So tell me who was your hero and why??????????

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    My dad without a doubt...I wish I could be one quarter the person he was...only person in this WORLD I can truly say that I know who lived his life entirely for other people, with little or no regard for himself...

Strong silent type, Calm, cool and collected.

Reminded me of the EF HUTTON comercial...when he talked...by gosh we listened.

Never got a whippin for the same thing twice with him, and he wasn't handy with us, very fair and always a gentlemen...

GOSH I miss him, still after 21 years I miss him terribly and still will catch myself wanting to pick up the phone to call the man...

Loved me more than anyone in my whole life ever has. My son was born on his birthday we were so proud, and for a long time after he passed, we couldn't even observe that day, Jeremy didn't want to except to honor him.

He was my hero. Always will be.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Cher, thanks for sharing, very touching post, got me thinking.... :wink:

4. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hope I didnt upset you, thank you for you response your dad sounds a lot like mine

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Nope, my dear smitty, you didnt upset me in the least! my memories of him are good ones, ingrained in my heart, and they are what I have....I love to talk about him, at one time I couldn't.

Gives me a chance to honor him one more time in one more way and I appreciate the opportunity. :big_smile:

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My hero was my mother.My dad passed when I was 7 and my mother took over both roles mom and dad.She made sure a joined boy scouts,went to every football game I played in.She had this damn cowbell I could hear on the field.She went to all of my school activies, I remember one time she drove me icefishing and sat in the car when I went out and fished in 5 degree weather. She took me hunting when I was 14 and sat with me in the woods,when I shot my 1st deer she showed me how to gut it.
    I didnt know it at the time but we didnt have much money, but I always had enough money to do the thing I wanted to do.She told me about my father and what a kind man he was.I remember one time I got cought shoplifting,and she made me work it off at the store I shoplifted from.I never worked harder for a candy bar in my life.She passed when she was 94 and I have missed her everyday. Yup my hero was my mom. Thankx fot this post.
    smokey

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Mine is my Dad also. When I was little he worked two jobs and I think the man never sleeps. Always at my ball games and always had time to take me fishing. I never had alot growing up but he made sure I had what I needed. His dad passed away seven days before he was born. And in my small town I'm Danny's boy. Never heard nothing but good things said about my dad. and he is a real hero to me.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll have to go with my old man. He was a drunk and never did much of anything with me and my sister. Taught me that nothin comes easy and ya gotta work for it and earn it. The old boy worked every day. Ate cigars,chewed Red Man and Beechnut. Drank 3 or 4 quarts of beer a nite,passed out and went to work the next day. Got my strong work ethic from him.

After dad I'd have to say "DARTH VADAR" LOL!

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    has to be my mother.when i was to young to drive a car my mom would pick me up from school and haul me to the river drop me off and come back and get me at dark.on weekends she would haul me 28 miles to the ocean let me fish all weekend and come pick me up.she has carried me a million miles and didnt start fishing herself till i was in my 30s.im lucky i can still drive cross town and visit with her shes 84 years old and kinda frail dont fish any more but i took her to the lake with me on her bday and she got to see me catch a 61 lb.blue cat.made my milinium.

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    He must have had many demons that he found it impossible to cope with on his own. Some people just can't face life without a crutch, I've had experience with that too, and it is what it is. Not trying to upset you....

Just goes to show you can also learn from the negative...I learned alot that way too...like my kids in school... they teach me what NOT to do...

Lookin to learn life lessons every chance I get from every avenue I travel...Life is too short to do otherwise.

I bet you turned out just fine.

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    oops double post!

13. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Speed of lightnig, Roar of Thunder, Fighting all who rob and plunder.....

I think thats right.

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i never was much for heroes...

i have had a few inspirations, but never really any heroes. i watched and read "super friends". aqua-man was kool. the incredible hulk had a nice peronality. im not so much for my ol man, or mamma. i have an uncle or 2 that i think pretty highly of. and i cant think of the word hero without thinking of "chesty puller".

but, all in all- i think it is a lil better to be realistic with yourself. on the days when i feel like i could use a good super hero around the house, i do something super heroic... like cut the grass, or change a diaper. sometimes i even get crazy brave and show up at work a lil early, or stay a lil late. and if you really wanna feel like the man of steel, turn down a good fishing trip to take your wife out shopping.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Would have to be my mom. She raised 5 kids by herself in these crazy times & never said a word about sharing anything w/us, or going without anything to make sure we had what we wanted, but above all needed!!!!!

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hero by definition is a man or woman distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength. Also it can be a sandwich with a lot of meat and cheese in a hard bun.

As many of you have aptly expressed so many times our heroes in our mind have been our parents, or maybe teachers or maybe employers, or whatever. Some people may call Madonna a hero.

I express my thoughts of those people as someone who had "influenced" me, perhaps nobly or not so nobly. They affected me by their actions, and made me who I am. Somebody in my road either passing or pushing me along.

I have known personally only one "hero" in my life. Surprisingly someone who I think of more often than my parents, who can in your expressions definitely be called "heroes"

This was a man I knew a long time ago. Dead a long time ago. Unknown, unheard of yet he to me portrayed true heroism. Someone with a job to do, one he choose and one he dedicated himself to and didn't flinch or back off of. He was very good at what he did.

He was a sniper in Vietnam. That war that was not a war. That war 52,000 real brothers died in. That war compared to Iraq, where another 4500 brothers have died, that will never have any kind of meaning other than to those who died and the hippies who desecrated those who fought and died there.

I will, when in the mood, tell you about a real "hero" sometime. One who "had exceptional courage and nobility and strength".

John.

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you wouldnt be talking about "ol white feather-carlos hathcock" would ya john?

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Birds of feather flock together. JD the man who was my "friend", not "acquaintance", knew "Mr White Feather" You know my feelings about friends JD. I have quit calling people friends a long time ago. It is easier to see the guy next to you shot out of his saddle if he is an acquaintance instead of a friend. Acquaintances never seem to die, they just disappear.

This man I knew on a day to day basis. I knew his family. His brother and I at one time were the best of "acquaintances". When you break bread with someone you just aren't eating their bread.

I will tell you about him someday, maybe.

John.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jesse Helms has got to be one of my most thought of heroes.

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Johnny Bench. I was a catcher and the Reds were my favorite team.