Who Uses Vintage fishing Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Apr 6, 2006.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I have a couple old Shakespeare's FE, so back what 1954 reels. One 1946 & 1 1944. Really only difference is 1946 has a wider spool. Both cleaned oiled and ready to go again this year. I Guess my question is: Should I retire them or just keep on fishing with them now and again. :0a36:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if they are solid and work good why retire them. My dad used old reels till the day he died he just couldnt see wasting money on a new reel when the ones he used worked fine. Now I have them and will keep on using them.

3. BigTimeWaterFowler

BigTimeWaterFowler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My grandpa had a few old Abu Garcia reels that he gave me. i dont use them because they are cool old reels I just have put them on the shelf

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I do almost all my fishing with vintage Garcia Mitchell Reels from the 50's, 60's and 70's. I have several reasons for this: 1) I like old stuff - the history behind it, the way gear evolved, etc. 2) The quality of materials used in the old Mitchell Reels is superior to the modern reels which are all made in Malaysia, Tiawan, Japan, etc. ( with the exception of Penn) plenty of plastic. The Mitchells used materials such as stainless steel and machine cut marine brass gears. Yes the new reals are smoother but when I latch onto the state record Flathead I'm gonna like my chances of bringing it to the net a lot better with brass and steel than with plastic!

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I agree MUTT
    These old dogs have more Guts than allot of the newer reels out there. I've cleaned these many times and never had to replace a part to this day. They may not cast like the newer ones But when it comes down to it. If they made a winch for my truck. I'd buy it! Drag is smooth and with a med heavy rod, There pretty sweet. I just bought a box of older reels and am having a great time going through them and seeing what does and doesn't work. 90% seem to be good to go.
    I understand that there is a great debate about wither to clean or not to clean those older reels. I understand the reels made by jewelers. But the rest? Inside the reel I'll clean and oil. But the older ones I will just clean, Not Polish. Keeping the gunk off the out side and the innards clean and oiled is just good since.
    I guess I should find a good reel Book, Any suggestions?

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thats how I feel about it Penn. When I put a pole in a kids hands, You know its the old Zebco 33. Back when they weren't Plastic.

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Can't forget the Old Johnson 100-a. and I even have one of those 100-AP. Send it out with my niece now and then. I just like the old reels.

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I don't use the old reels because my grandpa gave them to me before he died just to me many memroies

9. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    :p I have a Johnson Century that I got as a kid thru Wheaties cereal. A few boxtops or some such thing and a small amount of money. Still use it today and that was 50 years ago. I also have an old Zebco, 30 years old and a Daiwia 5000A I also bought 30 years ago. I use the thing every year as one of my main reels for ocean and fresh water fishing. In fact I like the 5000A so well this year I bought 4 more of them on eBay. The old one's. One guy wanted almost what I paid 30 years ago for mine. $55.00:) And that was when $55 was a lot of money for me. I always believed it was better to wait and buy the best you could then to buy a cheap reel you would wear out 4-1 over a good one. I also have a Garcia closed faced reel, (model forgotten at this time) that cost about $40 dollars 30 years ago. Another example of a good reel. I also bought 3 more of those old one's on eBay this year. A fella has to do something in the winter besides icefishing and reading. I have a 60 years old Mitchell new in the box it came in from my dad. Never used. Of coarse I don't fish with that one. All told I have about 60 reels that I fish with at different times. You get what you pay for, that's for sure. :p :p :p ;) Let's go fishing. You bring the dynamite!!!

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I like reels, new and old, but it is just fun to use the old reels sometimes. I think that fishing is about enjoying the day and the anticipation. So, adding an old reel to a rod and going catt'n is fun. Clean it up and store for the next time. Hannibal Mike

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hello, my name is Jerry, and I'm a fishing tackle addict.
    While I use my newer reels most of the time, I also have some Penn reels that date from the 40s (at least), because I remember fishing with them in the early 50s; and they definitely weren't even close to being new then. I've got a Penn Jigmaster 500 that I bought new in late January or early February of 1966 on Vandenberg AFB. A year or so ago, I had to have the clicker repaired; that's the only repair it's ever needed, and it's still an excellent catfishing reel. I've also got a couple of Garcia Mitchell revolving spool reels that are probably 5 or 10 years older. My dad bought them, and I'm not exactly sure about the date. One is a wide spool surf reel, and still casts great; the other is a narrower spool, apparantly designed for boat fishing.
    Not used: my uncle's Pfluger Supreme knucklebuster casting reel and its identical twin that I learned to baitcast with.

12. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I have about 3 Mitchell 300s with enough parts to build one or two more, they are tuff as nails, and i also have a nice johnson spincaster collection.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i no longer own any (thanks to pennsylvaniacatchaser), but the drags on those old Mitchells still cant be beat.

14. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    Not totally vintage, as they're only around 20 to 30 yrs old. I still have my both my old reels from when I was a kid, and also have my first baitcaster I bought with my first job, it was $40 for that Abu amBASSadeur LITE PLUS, which was a lot for me then. Nothing wrong with them and they still work til I dunked one of the spinners in salt. I still use the Abu sometimes, it casts so far.

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have my Grandmothers old Abu and last year got to thinking about it and thought, Nanny would want me to use that thing instead of sitting it up in a box on the shelf. I cleaned it up and use it as a boat rod for cats. Still going! If I had to guess it is from the 50's.

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Belive it or not I have about 14 old reels dating back to about 1930 and still use quit a few of them for fishing. But I also have a few sitting on the wall of honor for old fishing stuff. If any of you ever want to part with any let me know I am always looking and trying to get as much as I can so as to cover at leas 2 walls in the fishing room.

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have several mitchell's and a abu 5000 d that are still in use.

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have fished with the old 60's models mitchell 300's since I could walk. As far as I am concerned there has yet to be a better medium action spinning reel built. I don't care much for the new mitchells, but I wouldn't trade one of the old ones in working order for ten of any reel. I bought a medium action spinning reel from bass pro the other day amd I hate it. About every tenth cast the line will get around the knob at the top of the spool and twist and make loops, more than once I've come close to giving it a pitch. Like dinkbuster said, you cant beat the drag on a mitchell. I think that is because it "clicks". These new reels could be slipping and you would never know. what's up with a silent drag? Are manufacturers afraid they might scare off the fish? lol Vern

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm with you buddy! I caught 3 Smallmouths and 2 Walleyes this evening using the old Mitchell reels and Shakespeare Wonderods!

20. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a Bronson63 ActionRod. It is built together and the trigger is in the rod. All I did is replace the tip guide, oil it up and put it together. works great.