who uses okumas fishing reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cliff n york, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what do think of okumas, a a reel for large cats

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got okuma classic cl300l off ebay for around $25 and id say its as good as my 220gto that i payed twice as mutch for:cool2: definitly well worth the money. would get more but im in love with the contenders so any new reels i get will probally be a pflueger. for $50 you can have a classic and a 9' king kat, a starter priced combo that will still see use after you get a more $$$$ combo.

3. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've used Okuma Magdas for the last several years. Biggest fish was a 4' sturgeon caught on a size 30 Magda, in the Columbia River. Worked fine and still fishes. I like the size 20 for fishing in general. The line counter is useful if you are trying to hit a specific spot casting. Very good reels for the money.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have and like the Okuma Coronado CD 90's.Also the X-tra spools were reasonably priced for carrying along spools of different weight line.With a rod with a wide range this really gave me a very wide range of combinations with the same rod and reel.I am crippled up in my hands and can hold and operate a large reel better.I can fish for Blue Gill with a outfit that would handle large Cats,Sturgeon or King Mackerel just by changing the spool.I wish that I was still able to handle large fish.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Titus that I have used for two years,and have no complaints with it.

6. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have an eb65 with the bait runner, its very smooth and has held up well the drag is very smooth no problems with it so far

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i won a cd-90 a couple of years ago and i sent an eb-80 back for servicing and they upgraded me to a new reel so now i have a cd-90 and an eb-80 and between the 2 of them 5 spools. they're great reels for the money and did you know they used to make parts for shimano reels?

8. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I have 2 Okuma's and love them both. The Epixor eb50 and eb8o bait feeders. They are smooth and have had no problems with the drag. I like them better than my Shimano bait runner 4500.

I will be getting a Penn 560l Live liner as soon as they come in...will post a review after using it for a while.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have a couple of Averger ABF 65's. Great reels. Biggest fish so far was a 42# flathead this past August.

10. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    I have 2 okuma spinning reels that I use for bass. I love them. Can't beat the price. I would consider an okuma conventional for my next cat reel, they look pretty sweet.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I've got three okuma epixor spin reels. An EF-65 and two EB-50's they have worked flawlessly. You can save yourself a little money by getting the salt striker brand reel from Cabelas. It's the same reel as the Epixors.

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    One of my fishing partners has a brand new one with 10 ball bearings..every time he rares back to set the hook it comes un engaged and backlashes..??

13. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    tbartek,
    Does the saltstriker have a baitrunner? I've been thinking of getting an Avenger baitrunner for light saltwater/cats.

14. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have two of the Okuma Fina FI-60 on 7 ft. Ugly Sticks and I have no complaints on either outfits, I have used them in freshwater and saltwater with no trouble. They are exceptionally smooth reels with no vibration.

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have owned and used Okuma reels for the past 5yr. and know them to be Great Reels for the price and the Quality. I have owned EB-80s, Avengers, Magda Pro, 1 CV-45L, 2 SD-45Ls, 2 CL-300Ls, 1 CL-302C, 1 T-50L, 2 CL-450Ls, and 3 BTL-907s. All of these reels have performed Fantasticly with one exception. This was the BTL-907 that actually stripped while fishing in Norway. Having 3 Cod/Dorsch on at the same time was more than it could handle. I took it back to the vendor and it was replaced without question! I LOVE their warranty and the dealers in Germany Back it Without any Questions asked! They are worth your money and will Give you Great Service. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Gentlemen.To the best of my knowledge and belief,Hoppy has more experience and hands own use than the rest of us put together when It comes to Okuma reels.He is also been very helpful to all on line in every post and in every forum that I have ever seen him post in.I thank you again Hoppy.You are a sportsman and are a example of sportsmanship where ever I have run into one of your post.

I also envy him as he has fished in many of the exotic places that I and many more dream of.

I love you Brother.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Nic, yes they do. I think it's $59 as opposed to $79 for the okuma.

18. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Thanks PeeWee for the Flowers!!!! Now on to a thought concerning the OKUMA Reels. They have come out with a New Salina Baitfeeder reel for this market year. For those of you who like the smoothness of the Avenger and Epixor, you now have a Salina that will perform the Baitfeeder function. I have been badgering the Okuma folks about this for a while and although the price of $139 is more than Handsome, I will be testing one for myself soon. The Salina is a reel that many of the anglers along the Gulf Coast have put to the test. I just want to have the option to use it for Big Fish where ever I go Salt or Fresh!

HOPPY4

19. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I have a couple of magda's and have no complaints.I had the line guide break when I was hung up and Okuma sent me a new one at no charge not even shipping,thats standind behind there equipment.:big_smile: