Who takes their dogs fishing?

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by blackhorse83, May 20, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a lab and a wennier, and usually only take one or the other, but if it's just me going I'll take them both, what a boat full! the lab is trained to duck hunt so he minds, but that wennier is a hand full if your catching fish.

2. I had a feist that would follow along the bank when I went. Another time I had an English Bluetick that would follow and if given the chance would swim out to the boat. If I fished the opposite bank she would swim across and wait for me. Our current Toy Fox Terrier just gets in the boat like she belongs there (of course she does she goes everywhere with us LOL).

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    We cant take the wifes dog he is way to much of a handful at times only way to quiet him down is to put his life vest on him then he sits and pouts all day.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have a standard Dashy/Weiner dog. He loves to fish. In the boat he must be on the bow while we are under way. He loves the wind/spray. He then finds a comfy spot and sleeps till we catch a fish. All fish must be inspected by him. He really doesnt understand catch and release. He looks at me like I just beat him each time I return a fish to the water. Oddly when I run him he will bring our quarry to bay, but will nip once or twice and then want to find something else to tree. My mini kills whatever it catches much to the dismay of my standard. I dont travel far with mini as he for some reason hates car rides.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have a rat terrier that loves to go but wants to eat the bait. (I only give him the ones that fall off the hook) of course I get my share b4 it gets on the hook :wink:

OK I USE HOTDOGS FOR BAIT mostly:embarassed:

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was with a friend in a canoe one day, he brought his two dogs, a Shepard and a pup. Every thing was going fine till the Shepard decided to jump out and get a groundhog. We just happened to be over a sharp drop off, guess which side I was on! Well my buddy with his 30/30 and the Shepard were standing in 1' of water while me and the pup were in 10'. I was busy trying to grab gear, the canoe and the pup, in that order, when I saw the pup go down for the third time. I had to let go of the canoe and the gear, all except a very nice Ruger pistol, that I had to dive for, to go after the pup, then grab the canoe again. I am a good swimmer, but let me tell ya, after fighting a heavy current with a gun in one hand and canoe in the other, with a scared half drowned pup digging in to my shoulder, I was whipped. I saw the bottom of the river many times.
    Now all of this happened pretty fast, and my buddy was unaware of my trials, because he thought the water was only a foot deep. So he ran after the dog and whistle pig. Once I got back to the ledge every thing was ok. Then it was one of those, what happened to you? deals. I explained after a half an hour of trying to catch my breath.

Big dogs and small boats do not mix!

I can laugh about it now! lol:lol:

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack, that truely was a close one. I'm not sure which I would have recovered the dog, boat, or gun. I guess you don't know for sure until you are in a situation like that. I'm glad all turned out Ok.

I have a peke that goes with me some, he would like to be some kind of dare devil walking the sides of the boat so I can't leave him by himself because he leans over the edge looking down at the water. I'm afraid he would be bait if I didn't watch him.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My dogs love to go fishing (I think, maybe they're just tricking me into taking them swimming)! From the moment they see gear being loaded into the truck or boat they are prancing, dancing, whining and begging. Of course, three of them are Golden Retrievers. They're very well-behaved while on the water, unless you lose a fish at the last minute. Then my older male insists on jumping in and trying to find it! Luckily I can say I haven't had a close call like you Jack. (Probably kind of hard to turn a PONTOON over!)

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I bank fish I like to take my dogs. If its a place away from busy roads. They watch the poles waiting for a carp or sucker.lol not all of the time though. I'll tell you I feel very comfortable fishing alone with them there. My female Malamute is very protective of me. My German Shepard is still young yet, but his looks are intimidating. lol Both are 100# ders. The Shepard likes to swim, but the Malamute will only wade belly deep, must be something with the breed? They sure do have fun on the river bank. I love the way they stand alert when they hear a noise, The older dog stays quiet, but the young one gives a warning bark! I think it's nerves lol

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jack, it seems to me that snow dogs really don't like to swim, at least the ones I have come in contact with. Some friends of mine have a Husky. They LIVED on the lake and she still wouldn't swim. My fourth dog is a mixed breed, mostly Chow evidently. He used to only go in belly deep, but now he swims with the rest of them. (He thinks he's a Golden.) However, he whines the entire time, in the water or on the bank! He is also very protective of me, and when I go swimming he has a fit until I get out of the water!

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have alwaya taken my dogs with me when I fish and most of the other time My old dog B.U.D. would start whining as soon as I started putting poles in the truck it drove my wife wild. I also have an 8 mth old black sheapherd wolf mix that I take every where . He waded out and stole a trout off my stringer and run of with it. As I usualy fish by myself they are great company even though I usualy only take the pup now as B.U.D. can't negotiate these WV hils very well any more

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I used to take mine but got tired of having to bait their hooks, cast, and reel in for them. I can't blame them, I mean it is impossible to do these things if you don't have thumbs.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My chow, Coale, thinks his tongue is his thumb. Uses it all the time.:smile2:

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last summer my Dashound, jumped at a baited hook and when I looked down it looked like it was stuck right in his eye,he took off running to the other end of the boat and I reeled up and chased him down, as it turned out it was stuck in his lower eye lid and didn't even go to the barb, how he pulled that heavy rod and reel to the other end of the boat and not get it in any deeped than that is beyond me but I felt really lucky,as I was on my way to the vet!

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a pitbull who is happy to ride in the boat when we fish. He doesn't much care for swimming, but he doen't mind at all going for a ride in the boat.

16. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have only had my boat a couple of months, so no, I have not had the dog out yet. We have a mixed Lab. I am away on business now, return next Friday, then a week vacation.:big_smile: I am quite sure I will find out then how she behaves on a boat. She loves to ride in my truck.

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i got big dumb dogs and after the time one started thinking like a fish and tried to snatch a spinnerbait i aint too comfortable takin either one fishin with me:lol:

18. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    I used to have a poodle who hated a bath. So one week-end a bunch of us want camping down on the river. I didn't know what to exspect, I thought he would end up staying in out tent, but boy was I wrong. We had so much fun out of him it was a blast,We couldn't keep him out if the water to often. We all had to watch him. He was either trying to still bait off the hooks or when we cought a catfish and was letting it go, he was right there in the water bringing it back in and playing with it. He was small but it is something I will never forget.

19. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i take my dog fishin whenever i can. She loves water!

Have not had her out in the boat yet, but prolly will sometime this summer for some late nite catfishin

Attached Files:

20. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I plan on takin my beagle Pheonix out with me now that most of the pup has grown out of him. He is a great dog, but only listens to me or my ol' man, doesn't mind well for my wife yet. I imagine he will like it, he always likes to have his nose into something!

Aaron

TA2D