Who still thinks there is time?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rcbbracing, Oct 15, 2009.

Is there still time to stick a flathead?

1. Its never too late

2. Some time left

3. time to put the gear up for the year

4. I am as clueless as you

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its cold the flats have to be feeding less and less....whats everyones opinion? Is it just about time to give up? Our group is going out saturday to try one last time for flatheads and i think we are done till the spring...how about everyone else?

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    It's not too late. Was out jigging for saugeyes this morning an my friend caught a 4 lber. May be slow but they are still biting.

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I chose "it's never too late". It may get a lot more difficult, but they have to eat, even in winter. :big_smile:

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    flatties are slowing way down around here as the water temp has gotten down lower and lower,last attempt coming up this weekend for targeting flats then I'll be targeting channels and blues as they don't mind the colder water as much.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I put my flattie rods away for the year this week.I still think you could hit a couple more,but the results for mr aint worth the effort.This cold weather got me feeling every broken bone in my body.10 years ago I would have said stick it out til the end of October.I,ll leave the cold,rainy fishing to the younger guys!:wink:.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah them dinks are the last ones to winter.
    I say there's time left for sure, but not much. Riverscum will be coming out with this holloween flathead video again this year I'm almost sure.

For me though. I'm going to try for another week maaaaaybe two, in the rivers, and give that up, but!!!! I have discovered a warm water reservoir that'll have feeding flatties in it year 'round, so hopefully I'll be posting an Indiana Thanksgiving and Christmas flattie this year?

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Just learning about this catfish thing, but I have caught carp when the water temperature was 38 degrees. Honest!

Ray

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here in ohio we are gonna have 4 straight days with the low temp in the 30;s .....I think it is over unless we get a warm indian summer...Even with that you are gonna have to fish close to a wintering hole if you can find one..

I found one a couple years ago, if the temps ever get back up above normal I will hit it.

2 years ago I lost a big flathead at this spot in January, but it was 70 degrees, and we had a very warm december.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    its never too late ,i fish a river that has 2 plants that has a warm water discharge.and in the winter the bigger ones sometimes bite better than in the summer.

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    if the flatties and channels anit biteing ill allways hit the ohio river and get me some blues lol never to late dave

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here in PA, the Fat Lady has SANG!

Stick a fork in flathead fishing for the rest of 2009!:sad2:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You still have plenty of time. Find ya a wintering hole and downsize your baits. You can catch some mighty nice stringers on the rivers David. I know the weather has been crap and the water temps. have plummetted, but them cats need to eat up for a long winter! :wink: Goodluck... rollo

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Good luck on the walleyes and in the saltwater Tan. Keep the faith brother. The Tog are waiting. :big_smile:

Ray

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least around here we are supposed to get some warmer days next week there may still be a bit of time left.

15. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats the bit of warm news i was hoping to hear soon....Hope you are right!

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    our river temp is 54 degs. and after this weekend of highs in the upper 30's and more rain its gonna really drop the water temps :sad2:

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Seen alot of big flatheads caught in a shallow river all winter long.
    Like anything else, they got to feed, especially in currrent.
    They don't hibernate like alot of folks seem to think.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Water temp on the ohio is still about 65 so there is plenty of time left in my opinion

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You poor northern folks:smile2:, we can get the flatheads year round down here. Like DrPepper said too, there's a warm water lake where they really feed during the winter. Got two 30's out of it this past January.

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    But you have to remember, I'm down in SC. Our water temp on the river this weekend was 66 to 68. Still a ways from shutting down the flatheads!