Who sharpens hooks? What type hook sharpener do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by HOKIEFISHER, Apr 2, 2009.

1. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    I was wondering who sharpens catfish hooks, if so when, how often, and with what type of sharpener.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    First, welcome to the BOC. I sharpen my hooks. I use a diamond stone and I check them everytime I rebait. It takes just a second to touch up a hook and I can't afford to buy hooks all the time.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use hooks right out of the box, just like they are. After I've fished with them, I always check them to see if I feel a burr or something and if so, I will sharpen them with a hook sharpening stone that I have. Does an awesome job.:wink:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome Will yes i sharpen mine with a diomond stone works good

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'll touch up a hook that has become ,,, not sharp, but, not very often when I'm fishing,,Mostly, I'll be going through my tackle, and find stuff, including swivels, weight sets, etc, need some kind of attention, and I'll pile it up and and deal it on my bench when I have some time..

6. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I buy my hooks from Pete at wildwolf , his hooks are as sharp at the end of the season as when I first used em, no sharpening needed. The color is usually wore off, but the sharp is not. (red 7/0 octopus sickle hook)

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sharpening hooks is a good way to pass time while waiting on a strike when the fishing is slow. I also sharpen my used hooks and re-snell them with new leader line during the winter months.

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I do sharpen hooks at times, carry a stone with me, but.... I have never sharpened while fishing, never. It's easier to just put on a new leader and fish, P-R-O-C-R-A-Stinate.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC. I use hooks right out of the box . If they become a problem I change hooks and chuck the old ones into a coffee can . Once the can gets full I give them to a buddy of mine , he resharpens them and uses them on jugs and trot lines . He in return saves up lead battery terminals and gives me a bucket full about the same time I give him hooks and other stuff I quit using .

10. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I usually have rigs prepared so if need be I just tie on a new rig. I'll sharpen hooks at home when I'm servicing the rest of my tackle.

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I ALWAYS sharpen hooks. I keep boxes of hooks by my recliner and sharpen them as I am watching TV. I use a small fine file and I keep one with me when I am on the water. It does not take much about 3 or 4 strokes.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Most of the hooks I use never need a sharpening but the eagle claw kahles i use you have to sharpen once in a while. I use a small stone made for hooks.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. I make up leaders during the winter months and check the hooks as I go. When I'm on the water I just Chane the hooks out and sharpener touch up with a Berkley Hook Sharpener. Any terminal tackle or other equip that needs attention is separated and worked on at home.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    By habit,I check every hook I tie on,if I feel it needs it ,I hit it a lick or two with a cheapo hook file. Not every hook is the same straight out of the pkg.

15. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the B.O.C :cool2::smile2::smile2:

I do all my sharpening at home. I pre-tie all my leaders so if I'm out fishing and a hook becomes dull I just replace with another. That way I have more time to fish.

16. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yep. Thats what I do.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i do like most, make shure they are sharp when i pretie then tie a new one on when fishing as needed then go through them later and touch them up

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I"ll check mine, and I have a diamond sharpening hook file that I use. I don't spend a lot of time on it.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Wheather it be for Cats or Carp, I will sharpen the hook that I am using. This being said, I tie up leaders and place them on a board to be ready when I get to the shore. This is also done when fishing Saltwater!! This prevents me having to make them up while fishing. The occasional Break-Off is also a quicker fix. A Diamond file with a grooved indentation will work best of all to my thinking. A quick Touch-Up before the casting begins is also reccomended. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always keep an eye on my hook points, and when one seems the least bit dull, I toss it into a box to be sharpened later. Bent hooks go in the same box to be re-shaped or thrown away, whichever seems best. To sharpen my hooks, I've always used a 3-sided file about 8"-9" long.

But, while we're talking about sharpening hooks, I've seen the battery powered hook sharpeners that sharpen the hook point into a round point, like a pencil. I've used saltwater hooks with round points, and they were extremely sharp. Has anyone ever tried a battery powered sharpener that sharpens like that? If so, how did it work?