Who says fishing can't hurt

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Phillybass, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Well got out yesterday for a few hours. I got a carp right of the bat on nightcrawler. Not to long after i was trying to get some bait and got a decent gill that I threw out on my dad's big rod. I let it set for around and hour and it started to take off. I setup and tightened the drag up and started to crank in what felt like a nice fish when something snapped inside the reel I went over backwards and smacked my leg pretty good. I can hardly walk today from the fall. The reel went into complete free spool when I think the gear went. I wish I knew what was on the other end of the line but it was gone before I could recover. I will never buy a shakespere reel again for myself or my father after this event.:angry::angry::angry:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry to hear about your fall.. you know the old saying though... you get what you pay for! thats why i don't buy junk.. yes, good equip. can fail at times, but i can say i have seen the performance and durability seperation between the two.. goodluck, rollo

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Sorry about your fall. But you do have a good fishing story and it will get better and better every time you tell it.

4. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Yeah I know what you mean I'm still waiting for my gear to be shipped from FL. I'll be using a penn 209, shimano bait runner 7500, and a shimano tld 15 when they get here.:big_smile:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't mind me boys, just making a run to get to 2300! :wink:

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Phil I was bank fishing and broke a rod,I was setting there with nothing left but the rod handle in my hand while I watched my 209 Penn hit the river,believe it or not I jumped in to try and catch the reel and landed on it,lost the fish but got the reel back.That was in 1973 and I still fish with it.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ouch, sounds like some bad luck but hopefuly it will change for you

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hope you like your new reels