Who Makes the Longest Lasting Deep Cycle Battery?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Tulcat, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Who Makes the Longest Lasting Deep Cycle Battery?

By longest lasting, I mean both in keeping a large charge capacity and durability/life span.

Other than Spoonbilling, 80% of the time my boat sees the water it is dark or close to it, so we need 2 large deep cycle batteries for all our lights and electronics. We currently have 2 of the large AC Delco deep cycles (plus our cranking battery), which we have been very happy with. But the 2 are entering their 5th year of service and are needing replaced. Is 5 years about normal for the life of a deep cycle?

I have been very pleased with the performance of the AC Delco, but was wondering what everyone else thought or what they were using. Since we spend out so much time at night, we don't mind getting the top of the line as the life of the batteries can make or break a trip.

What do you all think?

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've run a lot of different batteries on my bass boat (1984 Model), fish lakes and the Ark. River. I usually fish once or twice a week, pretty much year round and when I go, most of the time its all day or night (in the summer). So I work the batteries pretty hard. That said I usually get 2 good years out of a set of batteries (24 volt trolling motor) and some times get a third year of OK performance out of some. The set I have on now though I bought in March of 2001, and they were still good up until the last month or so, I think I can get by a little while longer, but they are starting to not top off or last as good now, but no grips, this is the longest use I've ever got out of a set. I bought them at Auto-Zone and I think they are called Duralast Marine, they were about the same price as the same size battery at Wal-Mart, so not a high priced deal. Soon as I get around to it another set just like'em is going in the old Champion. This is the only set of them I've had and I hope it wasn't a fluke, but I'm going to try'em again.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    There is only a few battery makers. All the batteries are made by them and company labels put on them. I buy my from a place called Batteries Plus and got them from Bass Pro, auto parts stores and Cabela's and they all last about the same roughly 3-5 years.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They've got some new kind of deep cycle batteries out that are supposed to be much better than the old type, but they're also considerably more expensive.

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've ran lots of different brands over the years in my boats and RVs/campers. I couldn't really say what the best brand would be because it depends so much on the number of times you charge them it's really hard to compare.I think getting the right type is more important than the brand.Alot of batteries say marine or deep cycle but they aren't always a true deepcycle.The heavier the battery the better for deep cycle is what I figure because you want the thickest plates available for a true deep cycle.I figure you already know that but in case anyone here isn't real sure about the different types and uses here is a pretty good link that explains it. Boat battery basics

In the RV about the best you can buy for deep cycle is the AGM sealed type but they are pretty expensive.I wouldn't want to spend that much for my boat because they would be too easy for someone to steal but in my motorhome that is the best way to go.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a late 80's 105 amp AC Delco Voyager deep cycle that will still take a charge. It is still good enough to throw in a jon boat and hit a pond for a few hours.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Medical companies. Hands down.

8. seabee

seabee New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are some new batteries on the market called gel batteries. They are completely sealed and not subject to vibration. Around $100.00

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    optima makes a very good battery,but a little high,about $150

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Gels are killer boat batteries. Vibration doesn't effect them anywhere close to that of a wet cell.
    You can mount them on their side or upside down without leaks.
    That may sound a little strange but if you've owned enough boats you know battery space can be at a premium.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I had a dead battery in a old pickup when I was 16 and the neighbor down the road tinkered a lot with old cars and such. He went in his house and got me some St Joseph Aspirin and said drop 1 in each cell and wait 30 minutes. I did and the old truck started right up. I drop an aspirin in each cell at the end of winter and the batteries in the Tracker I had were 8 years old and still going strong when I sold it last year. What ever those aspirin do keeps the life in the batteries.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure how to find it but I posted about the medical use battries for my electric wheel chair. I was impressed with them and bought some for my boat. They are gel cell and not cheap to buy but they last so long that you will spend less over time. The most long lasting, powerfull I have ever used or even heard of.

Maybe a mod. could post a link on this thread to my old thread. It has name , numbers and where I got them.

Danny

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Never used Optima but heard several reports that they are great. A little pricey, but you generally get what you pay for. As soon as my old ones die out, I will be switching over to Optima

14. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

OK, I've read about how good Optima and other gel cells are supossed to be, but does anyone here have first hand knowledge or use of them?

And if a gel cell is the way to go, is Optima the best for the money?

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Here is the post you were asking about.

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I've got a gel cell in my truck, works great. I have also hooked a trolling motor up to it, no problem strong all day long.

chris

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jim, good find.

18. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I run two huge gels in my boat. The only downside is they're probably 70#'s each. But they are awesome. I have a small dual bank onboard charger set to the gel setting that stays plugged in when I'm home. After a long night of fishing, that charger won't even be on but a couple of hours and it's finished. Very maintenence free setup for sure!

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I was out garage saleing friday and ran accross a sale from a guy that used to work for optima and picked up a New Blue top deep cycle for $60 not to bad for an $188 battery!!!! can't wait to get it set up in the boat to see how it works!!!!!

20. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    One thing I learned about deep cycle batteries is when charging, especially when use'n an automatic charger like an onboard bank style, they will kick off before the battery is fully charged, usually at about a 70 to 75% charge, If you leave it on long enough that it turns itself off, turn the charger off, check the voltage, then turn it back on and the next time it kicks off check the voltage again. I've checked a bunch of different ones on several different boats and they all have done this, I'm told some of the newer units are getting better on this but mine is a fairly high dollar, name brand charger found on lots of high end bass boats (it's 4-5years old) and it never full charges a battery. I does a good job if you charge, then turn it off and back on for a couple of hours to top off.