Who makes the best catfishing boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by neocats, Dec 25, 2007.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would like to know who you thinks makes the best boat for catfishing. One that I can go buy and be ready to fish without having to make a lot of modifications.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats hard to answer.
    Depends on the water you fish.
    You may buy the perfect boat for one particular body of water and it might not be so perfect 20 miles down the road.
    Boats are a compromise.

I'd concentrate on a good all around boat if I fished alot of different water.

Gas prices are becoming a limiting factor for many people.

3. ga_sportsman

ga_sportsman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have an older model 15 ft. Bonito tri hull walk through windshield but the windshiels are missing which is not a big deal.The boat it self was give to me a couple of years ago.The hull is solid as a rock.I did do some work to the floor.I was also given a 75 hp. Chryler outboard by a family member.I guess I was blessed not to have much money in it.I think it will be an all around boat for catfishing mainly and if I want to crappie fish under the bridges it should work well then too.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know about up in Ohio but, down here on the Mississippi,Missouri the Sea Ark seems to be pretty poplar Lots of good boats out there. Just have in mind what your wanting ,then go from there. Best of luck.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have to agree with MRR the Sea Ark . All aluminium with huge live wells they show a man taking a bath in one of the live wells. They seem to cater to the catfisherman more than most others. But Im sure there are others.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I purchased the '04 SeaArk RiverCat model and all I did was add rod holders! I fish the Mississippi and the Missouri ALOT! I have heard word that SeaArk has an even better model coming out this spring, I can't wait to see what it is!!

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There is no "real catfish boat" out there yet. If you look at all the models they all have a huge back deck and a big front deck. Leaving very little floor space. There just bass boats being called catfish boats. catfishermen fish within the boat. That being said a style more closer to what the walleye guy's use are the better boats. Although like Rat said rummer has it that seaark is about to change all that!! If I was you I would wait and see.:big_smile:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The Sea Arks with a 3 degree hull like mine have a TON of floorspace but you pay a price on rough waters. The 15 degree hull will cut through the chop much better but you lose a bunch of floorspace.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, i think i have the perfect catfishing boat. 14' x 4' flat bottom jon boat w/ 25hp yamaha tiller motor. Its paid for (thats the big one in my eyes), simple, stable and the only modifications i've made are putting in a floor, and working on putting in navigation lights. I also like it because i can hunt, or go after other species if i want. That's the perfect catfish boat in my eyes, but i'm with Mark. It depends on the types of water you fish, and what you wanna do with the boat. Do you go out on big rivers? Do you mind the rough ride of a jon boat? I guess it also depends on what kind of catfishing you're doing (jugs, trotline, or rod/reel). Around here i'm usually catfishing small creeks, and my favorite spot has a short wooden bridge i hafta go under. When you gotta get into the bottom of the boat on high tide to go under a bridge, a boat with a big console and windshield wouldn't be ideal. If you're in big rivers, a large fiberglass v-hull boat might work for you. One last question, what do you consider a lot of modifications? I've seen some of Mark's work, and a small job for him would probably be a HUGE undertaking for me. :eek:oooh: Just some things to think aboutl.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If money were no object i would buy a lund hands down. Only problem the one I would want is $45,000 +:eek:oooh:. My second choice would be a Wareagle with a Sea-Ark close behind. Big Sam just bought a new 2072 and so far i like it really well also.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would have to say that this comes about as close to the perfect catfish boat as anything I have ever seen. And you couldn't ask for a better boat for someone confined to a wheelchair.

Attached Files:

12. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    if i had to do it over again i think i would go with sea ark ,i love the size of my 2072 just the live well issue .

13. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    sea ark & steve brown from catfish safari has teamed up to build a catfish boat. it will be showed for the frist time at the the end of this month at boat show. they have worked on this boat for three yrs. now. this boat will be awsome, cant wait to see it.

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i own a 22 foot sea ark and love the floor space and can get in really shallow water 8 inches deep or so . but i will allways miss my bass pro tracker 2 man boat and my 50 lb thrust trolling motor had fun in the strip pits and small lakes.

15. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thats a tuff call. Really depends on the water you fish. I think that no matter what brand you buy, they all take some customizing to make it the BEST boat, for you. Lots of good brands. Aluminum seems to be the material of choice for most. I say, make a list of the Gotta have, wanta have, and , thats cool, for a boat and then narrow it down to a manufacturer that can give you the best deal on a package. Keep in mind the water that you normally fish, ie. shallow flats or heavy current big rivers, large lakes and decide on a basic hull from there. With that said, I just bought a new Seaark as a empty hull and had it extensively customized to my needs. Expensive? Yes. But its the way I wanted it done. So its the BEST boat for me. Good Luck..

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You ask.....In my drive now....a 15ft lowe with a 15hp seahorse.....all bought and paid fer.She aint new or pretty but she is bought and paid for and thats all I have so she is perfect.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Any kind will work...Gosh I want a boat.

18. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If your fishing in deep rough waters I'd say take a look at the Deep V boats out there. Tracker makes a Pro V model as well as their Targa...both are solid boats.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Like Scott and Rusty said. Sea Ark! There the only ones that are building a real catfishing boat. The others just build "bay" or "bass" style boats and call them catfishing boats.

20. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If your looking for a V-hull I would go with Starcraft or Lund. they offer the most floor space. When you get those big cats aboard, you need all the room you can get. I have a 16'6" Starcraft, no complaints so far has a 75Hp mec-4stroke . Good on gas.