Who makes Penn reels now?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by pap2al, Apr 20, 2008.

1. pap2al

pap2al New Member

State:
    *Required*
    As I look at Penn reels on Ebay some say made in USA others don't.Have they been farmed out to another country like everything else,if so does anyone know what year was the last mod. 9,109 ,or 209 made here.I'm thinking of getting some reels to repair,but only want good items USA made.Thanks Bob

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Pap from my understanding most of the reels are made in China now. Shakespeare bought Penn out i think last year or so. I happen to live ten minutes away from the original Penn factory. The last time i drove by it is still there. They only make their higher end stuff here from what I have heard. Some of their newer reels are rebadged Pflueger/Shakespeare reels. They still repair them here though in Philadelphia at least i think....:wink:

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    MY UNDERSTANDING IS THE PENN INTRENATIAL'S ARE MEDE IN THE U S A NOW. LOOK AT THE SHAKESPEARE ARSENAL IT LOOK JUST LIKE THE PENN 320GTI AND ALMOST THE SAME SPECS.:smile2: ABU IS STILL THE REEL

4. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Pflueger Contenders and some of the Shakespeare reels you can tell they are all copies of some Penn models.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Or vica versa...Look at the Penn Sargus and the Pflueger Infusion.... Same reels different colors...I think what they are doing..and this is just a thought..Pflueger is getting their high end stuff Shakespeare their cheap stuff and Penn middle of the road.... Try to think Ford,Mercury and Lincoln...(Lincoln been higher end products)

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    According to the Penn website, the company was sold to K-2 Inc in 2007, which is Jarden, Inc. They own everything not owned by Microsoft and GE...

I know all of their production but the "high end" reels moved to China in 2006. Chances are all of it is there now...

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yep they do own just about everything...Penn was a family owned business with family type of values...just bring in your reel and they will fix it exchange it no problem.. now its just another huge company...however some of the people have been their since I was just a pup...

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Does any one know if there are any Penns still made in the US... I can't find any indication there are...

9. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I sent a 310GTI to PA to be reconditioned last year and it came back like brand new. Penn reels have always been good to me. I've caught walleye, catfish (78.8# blue), salmon and steelhead on them. I have upgraded some of my reels though to Shimano Tekotas.