Who Make The Best Beads??

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KingCatBrad, Oct 24, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok I'm Trying To Find Out Who Makes The Best Beads To Go Between My Sinker And My Swivel..... The Ones That I Get At Wally World Keep Breaking On Me Every Cast. I Have To Put Three Of Them On There At One Time So That When I Reel In There Will Still Be At Least One. I Use 2-8oz Sinkers And This Even Happens With The 2oz Sinkers....

Thanks For Any Info....

Also What About Glass Beads???? Would They Be Stronger?????

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hmm never thought of who make the bestbeads. I bought a pack a while ago for Kmart i think they where Eagle claw never had a problem. You can even go to a craft store and pick them up for cheaper to.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use the plastic ones from the crafts section at wally world. Their pretty cheap and they last forever. You can get different sizes and colors. Lots better and cheaper than the ones from the fishing section.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ditto,
    be sure u r getting plastic beads. I get them from wally's or Hobby Lobby.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I get mine from the craft section also. Cant say as I've ever had a problem with one breaking even with heavy weights.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I get mine at a hobby shop called Micheals. I switched to the wooden beads and have had better luck with them. The plastic ones kept breaking way to easy and also seemed to be just as rough or rougher on the knot than the sinker.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Now I got Big George to change from beads to what I use. In the craft section at Wal-mart they have a bag of short pieces of tubing. Now this Tubing will not cut a knot like a bead and will not break. Its a cushion when the sinker hits not a hard piece of glass or plastic.
    Works great and never have to wonder if that bead will cut my knot or break.
    Works great just ask The ones that I have told about them.
    Pete
    P.S I guess you could cut your own if you would like to. Get the smallest tubing you can find and the line will still go through and cut in in 1/4" sections. The big bag I got at Wal_mart. Even had the glow tubes in it.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats strange ive never had any trouble out of any beads ive used.maybe you just got a bad batch.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use metal beads. They wont break.

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    ... different beads; different plastics, different density... there is no secrete product, no special bead.

Someone recommended "Michaels", and that's exactly where I get my beads. Any general craft store should have a large selections of craft, hobby, and jewelry making beads.

Some will work better than others so pay attention to what brand/name/style of bead you buy and if it work's stay with it, if not... well you get the idea.

I look for beads with a hole large enough to go over the knot in my line... this way the bead rests on what ever is on the other end of the line and the shock from the sinker will be transmitted to the rest of the tackle and not to the knot directly. But this means you will have some beads break... but that's what happens when the bead take the impact that your knot would if you didn't have the bead on the rig. So the bead breaking means it's working... no just find one that won't break so easily :wink:

I've also tore apart a lot of rusted or bent spinners with beads that I've found walking shore line and recessed water lines...and used the brass beads on them... they work pretty great. Make sure you have NO burr's or any sharp edges or they will undermine your intentions. You can also buy the brass beads at places that sell lure making supplies... they are more expensive, but if all else fails.. it's an option.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bought mine at Wally World. I went to the Craft/Hobby section and bought a big bag of various sizes.

I use 8 oz.slip sinkers most of the time and up to 16 oz slip sinkers at times. I haven't broke more than one bead so far all summer.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    8mm rubber bead user here.

:004:

13. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho

I Have Thought About Those.... I Used To Make Key Chains Out Of Them When I Was In Grade School And Remember Putting A Couple In My Mouth To Chew On. I Could Chew On Them Forever And They Would Just Not Brake...

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Hard plastic (or any other hard material) beads are a waste of time, they are more abusive to the knot and line than the soft lead of the sinker. If your bead breaks on the cast then it is too hard and brittle.
    If you want to use a bead it must be softer than the lead!
    Short lengths of soft plastic tube as described by Pete are way superior to any bead. I have used them for a long time. You can get the tube at craft stores, pet stores (aquarium dpt.) wally-world, or the auto supply store...W

15. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    go to the dresser and look in wifes jewlery box get a peral neckless it will work good. just dont get caught. thanks sam davis

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Damm Sam !!!!! You Trying to Get Us ALL Killed? LOL J.D.:wink:

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I hope you speaking of the fake pearls not the real ones. That is some dam expensive tackle.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:oooh:

18. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    8 to 16 ounce sinkers ??? Man, you must be fishing in some really fast moving water. Bank fishing or from an anchored boat in a lake a 1 ounce lead will take live bait up to 10/12 inches long down to the bottom and let them move around for better action. I know below a dam the current can get strong enough to need heavy weights but I try to keep it as light as possible. My ex-father in law used to use 4 ounce sinkers and 12 inch 40 pound wire leader with snap swivels for everything. Then complained cause he didn't get many bites... who'd a guessed it ???

19. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    If you guys shop at Hobby Lobby for beads, watch their website. Every now and then they'll have a coupon up for 40% off of one item in the store. Get your coupon, then get the biggest bag of beads you can find, and *voila*! Suuuuuper cheap beads!

--also, they'll run their 40% coupon in the circular that they have in the store sometimes as well, or here in KY they will stick it in with the Sunday paper some weeks.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I get my beads at Michaels. Never had a problem with them yet.