Who made it

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Defiant, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  2. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I can't say for sure , but wards sold a boat that looked like that in the 60s. I
    had one in 12 ft back then

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You most likely have a Montgomery Ward boat.It could have been made by anyone for them to their specifications.Could even be a Sears.It looks to have been taken care of.I would think that it would be a excellent boat for what you said unless you overload it or dance on the seats.Check out the stability completely in shallow water and you will then know what you can do in it.

If it is what I think it is,it don't do bad for one man paddling if you sit in the bow facing backward with just enough weight up front to just raise the bottom clear of the water at the stern.Wind will blow it bad.A small outboard (2-4 HP.) or electric trolling motor will do fine.High or planing speeds will overturn you if you happen to run up on something.

I remember from the early 50's-60's when you could order boats to live Donkeys out of catalogs and have them delivered to your house.I have been around boats most of my life and have seen and used these.

Freezing weather outdoor storage.Turn it upside down if you can.Put two coats of "Super hard shell Turtle wax" on the rivet lines.The liquid will get into where you want it better.This keeps water from getting into tiny places,freezing and forcing your riveted seams apart.You do the inside,you can't get it into everything as good and you need to remove the slick wax or you will bust your butt when you use it.

Best of luck with your boat.I hope I have been of some help.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the replie's I Plan on putting a 5hp motor on it .They had a 7.5 and said it did very well on the river the plate is missing and am trying to find the weight and HP rating but i am sure it will take a 5hp

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    could be a monkey ward or crestliner either way a good looking boat.just from looking at pic.i would say you could go up to a 10 horse with no prob.

7. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was thinking of a 9.9 but have the 5 already and taking the kicker off and on the other boat would be a pain Although if I can find a good 9.9 might have to put it on there Also Once I get it That green carpet has got to go and some more comfy seats also

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    To me it looks like a SeaKing, A buudy just pick up a 14' a few weeks ago.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It has registration numbers. I would think the make, model, and year would be tagged onto the registration.

10. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mark the lady that has it says on the title it's a 1960 WARD was wondering who made it for them.

11. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    lowe its a lowe

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If they had a older 7 1/2 as most 7 1/2's are,a newer 5 will have close,but not quite the same horse power.The old outboards were rated at the power head and the newer ones at the foot.Please let us know how it does.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its riveted the same as my starcraft, but couldnt say who made it. sry

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's a picture of my Wards 14 ft boat I bought new in the 60's. It was painted light green outside and white inside. You can see the Wards nameplate on the back of the boat. I had a 15 HP Evinrude. It was rated for 15 HP or 20 HP.. don't remember which.

Looks like on your's the nameplate may have been removed.

15. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks olefin did they use pretty good metal back then or was it thin stuff ?How did your boat hold up?

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    could be a smokercraft. Pop's got a 1972 model that's 12'. Looks a lot like the one you got there

17. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    It's in great shape for a 1960. I have an identical looking boat, 12 ft, and the plate says it's rated for up to 7.5 hp. Mine is a Delhi,from around 1974.
    Chip

18. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    From the shape of the Bottom I sure wouldn't be trying to stand up much. It looks like it might rock pretty easy..

Boat sure looks good for one that old though..

19. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dayton, that's a nice photo!

Bill