Who likes bobbers for catfish and why?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by snakeman76, Jun 5, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    The reason I asked this is because I have never fished for catfish with a bobber always bottom fished.How do you guys rig them and do you only use the in certain situations?

2. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use a cigar style slip float a swivel with short leader and slit shots. If we mark fish that are suspended i will set the bobber stop at that depth. I put this rig out and my other rods on bottom. never know what may be cruising around

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I bank fish 100% of the time and I use 6-9" weighted slip floats on 99% of my rods, If you watch and learn how the strike is indicated by the float, I gaurantee a 25-50% increase in hook-ups.on channels.:eek:oooh: OOH Yeah!! trust me I know.:wink:

My set-ups are as; Going up the Line,

The rigs they start with a #3-#9 Gamakatsu Octopus tied to a 14-18" leader tied to a 90# barrel swivel,

then I have a bead or 1/4" cuts of a spark plug wire(with the center pulled) to keep the knots safe from the weights,

then a 1/4-3/4Oz tungsten steel weight(adjust accordingly with size of float) and another bead,

then my weighted float on the main line with a slip knot tied above the float too adjust depth.

You can use this setup to fish from the top to the bottom very effectively.It is essential for Fishing for suspended channels, By adjusting the weight you can bring the float deeper into the water leaving about 1-1 1/2" exposed allowing it to stay in the strike zone longer and you will be able to see the tinyest hit by the channel (when the float rocks at a angle)(SET THE HOOK) the fish has already moved 2-6' with you bait in its mouth. TIP- The deeper you are fishing when the fish hits, the further the fish has traveled, and so on as up to the top it would be lesser distance... Seeing this allow's you to adjust how fast/quick you set the hook, and more hooksets/ups = more fish in the livewell or cage.:big_smile::big_smile:

Use less weight fishing live gills and such for bigger fish, Which brings the float higher up to 2-2 1/2" out of the water. When the float starts moving and rocking around you can almost bet, there is something bigger moving around your bait, giving you a chance to get ready to grab the rod and set the hook on take off..:cool2::cool2:

Hope this helps some.

OH WELCOME TO THE BEST CATFISH SITE ON BOARD:cool2:

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Thanks Kenny for the imput I think I will give it a shot this weekend at a cat pond me and my boys are thinking about trying.:cool2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg check out the Wild Wolf Products web site under sponsors. You will learn about the Kat Bobbers and there is a video on how to rig and use.

6. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Bobber is my favorite way and has been the most productive for me so far. I have been using anywhere from 5 to 9 ft leader, I want to try something shorter soon. It is a blast watching your bobber go under. But just remember to keep your eye on it! If your at all like me youll miss the bobber go down and then wonder where the hell it went. :big_smile_2:

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    sometimes i like to suspend my bait over some trees on the bottom or stumps.

8. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Depends on the situation, if i'm fishing a creek or slew I will use a bobber & splitshot bout a foot & a half from the hook. Deeper water or faster current I fish the bottom.

9. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love fishing with a slip bobber (float). I do prefer unweighted bobbers and add weigh to the line myself (I want the weight closer to the bait). When using live bait I also use an 18" 'straw' between the bobber stop and the bobber. That keeps the first 18" of line above the bobber from sinking. When the line above the bobber sinks, sometimes the live bait (green sunfish usually) swim around it and cause a big tangle of line. I've also noticed that largemouth bass and walleye are fond of the bluegill/green sunfish. Even a 15" bass seems to have no trouble sucking up a 6" bluegill with a 9/0 Kahle. Yes I'm hoping for a big cat, but I don't mind the other species.

Ralph