Who is the greatest quarterback of all time?

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by dreamcatcher, Dec 29, 2006.

Who is the greatest quarterback of all time?

1. Joe Namath

2. Dan Marino

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Terry Bradshaw

5. John Elway

6. Joe Montana

7. Bart Starr

8. Roger Staubach

9. Dan Fouts

10. None of the above...Are you crazy?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

You can't have a football forum without this discussion coming up eventually...Who is the greatest quarterback of all time? Is it the guy who won the most Super Bowls, or the field general that did more with less? Is it the one that lived up to the hype, or is it the one whose hype is grossly overated? None of us will really know for sure because there are too many intangibles, but if you had to choose one person under center who would it be?

I think a quarterback would need to at least win the championship game at least once(which leaves out my favorite), whether it was the Super Bowl or NFL championship, but there are some great ones that never did. Also, statistics never tell the entire story. I am sort of partial to the ones that fought against the odds and came out on top.

That being said, I would have to start my team with Joe Namath, bad knees and all. He was in his prime a little before my football watching days, but that guy was a warrior. If he had a team around him like some of the guys that came after him he would have been untouchable. To me, he was everything you could ever want in a QB, because he possessed the intangibles, not to mention all the obvious skills...

Yep, Broadway Joe was the man...

Let the debate begin...:big_smile_2:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I had to say terry bradshaw by a long shot. His uncanny way of being able to read a defensive line and being able to call his own plays to counter act them, is what makes him the greatest of all time.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bradshaw was a great QB but threw too many ints for My taste.

I'll take "Cool" Joe montana, He had quite the flair for the dramatic!!!

BTW John Elway was awfully good as well!

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

It's hard to argue with all those Lombardi trophies staring you in the face, but Terry and Joe played with some of the most complete teams in the history of the game. Now I'm not saying they weren't great, because they obviously were, but man what a supporting cast they had. I can still name half the Steelers that played back then, and I'm not even a Steelers fan! ROTFLOL!

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Oh, let me apologize for not adding any of the active quarterbacks on my poll. I really can't call any of them great at this juncture in comparison to their predecessors. The rules are in place to give them all sorts of advantages offensively, not to mention that you can't hit them anymore like back in the day. Everything now is geared towards entertainment value, which means keeping the quarterback's uniform as clean as possible. LOL.

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Johnny U. I dont know about his stats, I dont even care about them, he was old school all the way. and he just plain got er done!

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you left out tarkenton....4 super bowl appearances...the sorriest offensive line ever and he still set record after record

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Still have a un-opened box of wheaties with my favorite on it:
    Dan Marino

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    can we imagine it's 10 years down the road and say Tom Brady?? sorry , huge Michigan fan here........

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Come on Steeler fans. My vote is for Terry B.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'll cast my vote for Terry Bradshaw. Four Super Bowl rings makes for a impressive resume!

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I had to go with Montana. His supporting cast as well as the coaching staff made him what he was. JMO.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Bart Star what a QB! (Old school)
    Bill

14. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I had to vote non of thee above. I probably would have pick Fran he probably had the least natural talent and the biggest heart, on top of that he had to work for the meanest coach in the game (that's the opinion of my dad) and in the worst field conditions.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Broadway Joe bad leggs and all man he was good:cool2:

16. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    My vote goes to Montana. Clutch in the Super Bowls.

17. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    wilt chamberlain without a doubt:big_smile:

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Micheal Jordon opps that basketball
    Tiger Woods sorry that golf
    Payton Manning that what I am talking about but he not on our list
    so off your list John elway

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    On that list I'd say Montana w/Bradshaw as a close 2nd. I also think S. Young and J. Kelly deserve more credit than what they get.

20. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will be up there with the "Greatest ever" before or after they retire. Tom's got three rings and Peyton is breaking just about every record that Marino set in his career.