Who is the best?

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Fletchhunter, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Who is the best of all time? QB, RB, WR, and how do you base your choice? For QB is most yards, most wins, touchdowns, most championships? How about RBs, is it most yards, yards per carry, touchdowns? Same with WRs, catches, yards per catch, touchdowns.
    I am interested in your choices and reason why, then I will weigh in on my choices and why. This could make for some good debating

2. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Best QB Peyton Manning, best RB Barry Sanders, Best WR Jerry Rice

3. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Based on what?

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    QB's John Elway, Troy Aikman, Payton Manning who is gonna brake all the records. And Tom Brady who is going to rebrake those records in a few.

RB. Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, and Adrain Peterson who if he stays healthy will be doing some record breaking of his own.

WR Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, and for a good current one Larry Fitzgerald who always seems to come away with the ball

These are just a personal favorates I dont know all the stats I just know that some of these current guys are going to be burning the record books in the near future Manning already started:smile2:

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Dificult question to answer because like you mentioned there could be a few different ways to avaluate the players. And also we all have our personal favs.

For a WR it has to be Jerry Rice, no other WR is even close to his numbers in TD and yards, I am not sure how many superbowl rings he has, 3 or 4 I believe.

RB, gets even more dificult because Jim Brown was a stud in his time and could run over everyone, got the record for yards and retired. Walter Payton held the record for a few years and Barry Sanders came close to breaking it and would have done it if he didn't retired. Now Berry and Walter did it pretty much by themselves since their teams suck. Does that count as a plus? IDK. Emmith Smith had a great team around him and put up lots of points and yards and holds the record now. AP, it is way to early to say he is one of the best all time, lets hope he stays healty and does not have a Bo Jackson ending.

For QB, this gets even more dificult because few QBs have impacted and revolutionize the game.
    You want a natural lider who can win the big game for you, IMO regardless of how many yards he puts up (e.g. Dan Marino). So maybe based on how many SB rings he has, Montana, Young, Farve come to mind but I am sure they are not the only ones. I would not put either Payton Manning or Warner there yet, I do know that they have stellar carrers but just based on accomplishments. Let them win another SB, then we talk.

6. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Peyton Manning has or shares 5 nfl records to date, most yards by a rookie, which does'nt mean much, 2nd is Chris Weinke, 3rd, Rick Mirer. Most touchdown passes by a rookie, 26. Most 4 touchdown games for a season, tied with Marino at 6 games. Most consecutive games with 4 touchdowns at 5. Highest passer rating for a single season at 121.1 in 2004. He will break some more records, but I doubt he plays long enough to break some of the records that Favre has. Right now he would be among my top 5 QBs of all time

7. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Very good reply! There will be a lot of differant answers to this, and it's hard to prove anyone right or wrong. I would put Montana at or near the top of the QB list, yet he holds no major records other than superbowl wins, which he shares with Bradshaw, who also has no major records. One of the things I look at most is how they perform in the big games, nobody done it better than Montana. There is one major stat when it comes to RBs, and that is average yards per carry, Jim Brown holds that at 5.22, that may never be broken. On that alone is why he is my #1 RB. It's hard to argue against Rice being the #1 WR, but he played a lot of years, and had Montana throwing him the ball for most of his career. Don Hutson of the Packers led the league in receiving for 8 years and 5 consecutive years. Homer Jones is the all time leader in yards per catch for career at over 22 yards per catch, he played for the Giants in the 60s. Should get some interesting picks here

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Top 5 QBs of all time:
    1. Brett Farve
    2. John Elway
    3. Peyton Manning

Top 5 RB of all time:
    1. Barry Sanders
    2. Walter Payton
    3. Emmit Smith

Top 5 WR of all time:
    1. Jerry Rice
    2. Tim Brown
    3. Cris Carter

9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    wow, I didn't know this. my bad, maybe he is at the top then.:eek:oooh:

10. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    One thing is also the most exciting players to watch as a fan. I always enjoyed watching Berry Sanders and Walter Payton running. For QBs Elway and Farve always were making some crazy and gutsy plays.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Gotta vote Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Roger Craig:wink:

12. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HOMER!!!!:smile2: Hard to argue about Montana and Rice but, Craig? Had Bo Jackson played longer he may have goten my vote for best RB, he was the most amazing RB that I had the pleasure of watching, to bad an injury ended his career way to early

13. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Best qb is manning he's not ever had a defense behind him like alot of the others best rb barry sanders best wr jerry rice

plus mannings team never got caught watchin pregame video and stealin defensive signals like bradys did

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Or have a call named after him! Tuck Rule?:eek:oooh:

15. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The main reason that I would not put Manning at the top is his failures in the post season. Why is it that a team that has maybe the best offense over the last 8 to 9 years, along with the most regular season wins in the same time period, including the most consecutive season with at least 12 wins, has only 1 superbowl appearance? This is why Manning does not get my vote, he should have 3 or 4 superbowls, not even talking about wins, just failure to get there, not to mention his only win was against a so so Bears team. I don't blame the coach, if you look back you'll see that Manning has not performed very well in the playoffs, after being the best QB in the regular season. He also had the same problem at Tennesee

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    He still has the same number of rings as your Lord and savior Brett Farve. Being such a football expert, you should know them man never had a defense to play around.

I'm sure that Chicago Bears would have easily beat Pete Carroll/Drew Bledsoe patriots combo that the Brett Farve has such trouble with.:cool2:

17. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You are starting to prove how little you know about the game. Favre has been in 2 superbowls, also, he had no problem beating the Patriots in the superbowl. As far as Manning not having a defense, it did'nt stop him from being the best regular season QB, now did it? One more thing, I am a Viking fan, anybody that knows football would know that a Viking fan could not be a big fan of a QB that beat up on his team for 16 years. It's called RESPECT. My favorite QB of all time does not even make my top 5 list of all time greats, this thread has nothing to do with favorites, it's about the best

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

When does going/losing a SuperBowl give you a ring. If you wash your glasses, you would read that I said the gave the same number of ring, not appearances.:cool2:

19. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't wear glasses, but it's plain to see that yours are rose colored:wink:. The packers beat the "Bill Parcells" coach Patriots by 2 touchdowns in the superbowl. Know the facts before you speak:wink:

20. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    QB's Montana,Favre ,Manning.

Rb's:Barry Sanders,Earl Campbell,OJ Simpson

WR's: Rice,Largent,Terrel Owens.