Who is our radio expert??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DANZIG, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    As some of you know, I have a cuddy project underway and have got 'round to thinking about some am/fm.

Nothing I like better than to hear some "new to me" music when I am out fishing and that means radio, and radio means a need for a good antenna. This is something I know very little about.
    This boat came with a large VHF antenna, can I use that, or is there a "best" am/fm antenna I should be looking at??

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Go for a Sirius setup if you dont mind paying the subscription.The big plus is you can get the portable unit and use it at home or in the car.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not a big fan of satellite radio. You do get many channels and good reception but wherever you go, it is still the same. And besides, the idea of paying for radio is one I have never gotten used to.

I have satellite TV here at home(I live down in a tight hollow, only one good broadcast station reception) but no matter how many channels I have, by habit I end up watching the same few.

Same deal with CDs and such, I have a ton from 78s on up to Mp3s but I have heard all of that.

AM/FM is what I am in to, especially Am late at night on the water. I get a kick out of dragging in stations from Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, anywhere not close to here that may be playing stuff I have not heard or not heard for years.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Danzig, I can't help you really. I can say that I installed a AM/FM/CD player in a buddy's boat, and it works well. The antenna cost maybe $7 or $8, and seems to work fine. Just a cheap marine antenna from BPS.

What bugs me about satelite radio is that I have XM radio at home. I should be able to just rent or buy a reciever, but shouldn't have to pay for a subscription IMO.

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Everyone keeps saying you have to pay for satellite radio... Karen's boss gave us one, and he never bought a subscription... There are HUNDREDS of stations that come in all day long. Never have to pay a cent. Don't know how, but it does. :smile2:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would do a thorough vision inspection of the antenna and cable, if it appears to be in good condition, I see no need to purchase a new one.