who is or plans on doing some ice fishing?..

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by impak209, Dec 18, 2007.

1. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Just curious about how many of you brave the elements and put the efort out. It has always seemed like an odd practice, to me(being that I am originally from California), but I plan on giving it a try, soon.
    so far I have'nt seen to many mentions on here.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am usually braving the elements all year, just not ice fishing. Since its usually on the river...I cant say I would enjoy ice fishing too much, really not my thing..:wink:

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I do a lot of ice fishing on Lake George, which is 12 miles from my house. I fish mostly for yellow perch, salmon, and lake trout. Hard water fishing can be quite comfortable if you have the right equipment. I strongly recommend that you check the ice conditions before venturing out on the ice. Its always a good idea to be familiar with the area your going to fish, and stay away from running water such as creek inlets and outlets. Before going out you should be able to get some info from your local conservation office on ice conditions. Until you know the area your going to fish, its a good idea to go with a buddy. If you have any questions about equipment ect. let me know ill be glad to help.

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Checked the ice at work yesterday and we had 2 inches. Maybe another week and it will be ready. Gonna check a bigger lake Saturday and see how that is.

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Went ice fishing for the first time last year at Miami white water forest.Its the only lake around me that I know of that allows it.It was kinda fun but there just isnt any big lakes that I know of that allow it near me.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here.. i iced fished around 8 times last winter mainly targeting AEP strip pits, and some local farm ponds.. if there isn't any ice, and the river drops a few hundred feet, you will find me there all winter...lol...rollo

7. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I used to ice fish a lot. We always caught a lot of trout through the ice. I can't do it anymore since moving down here as we don't have ice.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    A bunch of us Ohio guys are getting together for an catfishing/multi-species ice tournament in January at Tappan Lake. Want to talk about getting crazy, this has to be the tops for me. If it all goes well we might make it an annual event. The tournament is open to anyone if you want to join us.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    been ice fishing for 2 weeks over this way bro. be carfull if you are a nubie to the ice, take a friend. it wouldnt hurt to look into some ice safty vids too!

a great ice fishing site you can check out is http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php i told member "howiecatchum" about it and he loved it. loads of great info and reports on there. if you become a member drop me a PM and tell me what ya think.

10. camden_blumenschein

camden_blumenschein New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i thought the tourney was held at atwood

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It is at Atwood Lake. I was just seeing who was paying attention. LOL