Who is hitting Falls Reservoir this weekend???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by DAKATKILLA, Aug 4, 2007.

1. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    iam goin who wants to tag along ????lol well iam goin to fish the dam while i give my jugs time for the fish to hook

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I don't know if you noticed Catkiller but most who post reports on this board don't believe in jugging. There's not sport in it what so ever. Any person can throw a jug out and catch a fish. I guess thats why the invented it in the first place. If your out there with rod&reel only, all the power to you. Hopefully the State will do something about jugging, otherwise the lakes around here will end up like the Capefear river. Barren and dead.

3. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    IAM NEW TO THIS CATFISH BUISNESS ....I USED TO LIVE IN FLORIDA WERE I FISHED SALTWATER ...... WEN SHOW ME WERE TO GO AND HOW TO CATCH THEM ON ROD AND REEL SO IL STOP JUGGIN .........LET ME KNO WEN YOU GOIN AGAIN I CAN GO WITH MY BOAT AND YOU JUST SHOW ME!!!! I PROMISE IF YOU DO IL STOP JUGGIN

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey man i will help you all i can if you will stop jugging and feel most others will too. first of all falls dam or res. is small enough that you really dont need help finding fish. good electronics is the way to go. put faith in your methods of fishing and equipment and keep in mine every fish you mark will not bite on a given day but you keep putting that bait in there face and sooner or later you will figure out what works for you. i dont know if you have been to falls dam before but it is a small lake. i havent been to falls dam all year long but i bet you i can find fish in 30 minute in that small lake. take bait with you. jugging has just put a bad taste in most of the seriuos catters around here and im one of them. i saw a picture of 6 fish from 30-55lbs this week that came from jugs in one night. they all was fillets and put into a freezer. it takes years to grow these fish and to see them all removed in one night just dont set right with some of us. falls dam is a piece of heaven to alot of us in the fact that there is no houses and no pleasure boaters and to see it getting jugged heavy just dont set right. its one of the only true fishermans lakes still around if you know what i mean.

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

The main thing is RELEASE THE BIG ONES, anything over ten pounds would be a good idea, with the high mercury levels , I wouldn't keep many under ten pounds. I do keep a few smaller ones once or twice a year to eat but the big ones go back. I think if you start catching them on the rod and reel you will throw away the jugs....:wink: It takes a fish several years to grow to 30 pounds or more. Take along a camera, take pictures and put him back....:wink: Any fish can be over fished, catfish are no different. Well , I take that back, I don't know if you could ever over fish the white perch...:smile2: they do make good bait though.

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Elvis,
    if your new to catfishing and want to learn then your at the right place, most of us serious catters release our big cats back so our future catters can experenice the thrill of hooking one. Jugging to me is not the way to learn how to catfish, read the forum and ask questions and you will get answers. I release all cats over 20 lbs so my childern and grandchildern have a chance to catch one in the future and if many more catters dont do the same, our childern and grandchildern will only see big cats in books or tapes and not in our lakes and rivers. Just my two sense, take it for what its worth.

7. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    I also believe in releasing fish. I dont keep any fish that i catch. If i did catch some to eat I would only keep fish under the 10 lb mark. I also dont understand the jugging. If you just like to eat catfish then it would be smart to go to the grocery store and get the farm raised ones. You cant beat the price on them, especially when there fillet and ready to cook. Trust me you cant take a boat to the water and catch fish and say your saving money. Especially as much as gas is now days.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i started to make a post early this week when i saw the picture i was referring to. i let it slide but since we are talking about jugging i want to add some thought i was doing. you take any lake on the yadkin chain and put 5000 fish over 30lbs and 300 of those fish over 50lbs and take out 20 fish a week it would only take 250 weeks to catch all of them which is a five year period. take out 2 fish over 50lbs a week and you looking at 3 years. now all those fish are egg layers also which over a five year period would lay alot of eggs but it will take those eggs more than 5 years to reach the 30lb mark. now some fish have to come out of the lake to make room for the new comers but with the jug laws set the way they are in this state(wide open) it doesnt leave room for the future generation to catch these fish. now from what i have seen the state has no clue as to how many fish over 30 lbs are in these lakes but they have a wide open ruling on jugs and say they need to study before they make changes. i havent seen no studies being done on any lakes in nc since birth of coarse i dont stay on the lake everyday either. there is suppose to be some studies getting done that will help make a decision for the fisherman to help preserve the trophy cat waters but where is the study information that they used to set up the laws we have now? just because we had 3 new state records in the last decade dont mean much to me because i can see the increased fishing preasure these fish are getting. jugging has alot of history behind it but so does the big block cars of years gone by. another report i heard this week was of two fellows filling up a big white cooler in two hours with big fish. another report i heard was a 40-50lb fish being found in a cove on a lost jug. it was released! also tomahawk told me he seen some juggers at one of the lakes this week too and thought it might of been the guys i was talking about but it wasnt the same guys. who knows what they caught and took home. i also know of another jugger thats complaining hes not getting any big fish this year. hes well known to leave jugs in the water and keep all he catches. im happy for him.:wink:i have no problem with a fellow eating fish or keeping some to eat. i have kept 9 fish this year myself. all out of snatee and nothing over 8lbs. we had supper three nights on them 9 fish and had plenty for 3-4 people to eat. so if you catch a egg layer put it back because them eggs belong to everyone.:wink:

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I like to eat fish just as much as the next man, but I don't keep anything over about 8 lb. and I'd rather kep channel cats, b/c that's what there are tons of in Badin. Blues are getting scarcer every year, especially during the summer months. If you want to quit jugging and be a die hard cat man, then I'll take you out and show you the ropes, but keeping the big fish doesn't sit well with me either. I really don't even care if you jug and only keep several little ones. Besides, a hawg pulling on your rod is a lot more fun than chasing a jug around all night! let me know, and I'll take you out sometime!

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris all those reports i posted came from badin!:sad2:

11. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    dont stop jugging just because a some people dont like it ...........just do it responsibly..........watch em and them pick them all up........also i know some will not agrre with this but i believe we do need to keep some 50 lbers..................my personal best is not that big compared to some, a 46 lb blue ..i did releaese it ....but a 50 lb flat head eats anything it wants to.............i have personally seen a 50 lb flathead eating a 12-15lbblue.......the flthead was on top of the water shaking the blue like a dog shaking a rat....had the blue around the head......then you could only see the tail...we eased up on them and 1 of my freaind tries to net the big one.....he spit out the blue and dove instantly and the blues head looked like you had skinned it.................how many small cahnnells and blues does a 50-70 lb flat head eat......?????????????????????????

my theory...i may be wrong ....but for some reason the fishing now is the best its been in a long time.........ok heres my theory.....there is the right mixture(in most waters not all) of people keeping fish and people releasing fish.............if all you have is big ones then there will be not future for small ones................

also i dont care if yall beat me to death on this but if a guy does something thats legal dont assume he will not do it responsibly.........i jug and use setlines sometimes....and yes some peolple are slobs about it but dont be a fish snob ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

just like tha guy in the past who got beat to death over keeping a 50lber out of the cape.........it was legal........same old story..........bowhunterts dont like gun hunters...gun hunters dont like bowhunters.......bass fisherman dont like catfisherman.............if its legal then do it.....mack

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mack you are right he dont have to stop jugging to make me happy at all. he said he would stop if someone would help him. iam willing to do that but maybe you know a better area for him to fish at falls dam than i do since you said the next state record would come from kerr lake last year based on your jugging reports. so help the man out and tell him where to throw out his jugs.

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Mack I will agree with the idea that flatheads are a top predtor in freshwater. They are pure trophy fish and should be treated as such. I guess thats why idiolt juggers can't catch them, it takes skill. I really don't see them eating alot of other cats. In the lakes around here there's tones of bait, all different kinds. It's like a all you can eat buffet. Heres a good question for you. Up north they have big populations of muskies, why haven't those populations whipped out the local lakes of all the other fish. Muskies are about the second top preditor fish in freshwater. You people down east have such a hate for flatheads it's unfounded.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well Mack, I know that a flathead will eat a lot of smaller fish, but that's why there are smaller fish and that's why smaller fish are more abundant. It's the way nature works. The Mississippi River had huge amounts of gigantic fish that perfectly coexisted with the smaller fish in the system before we came along and started fishing them out. Big fish eat little fish and that's just the way things work, but that's no reason to keep big fish. With guys keeping hundreds of pounds of catfish every single week it doesn't take long to deplete the population and it's hard to get them back to where they were. I've said it before, that I don't mind people who jug or bush hook, I just don't approve of guys who keep everything they catch and leave line/jugs in the water. Yes some fish do need to be kept and some fish of all sizes do need to be kept, but I think that some guys have gotten very good at catching and keeping large cats in large numbers. I think that there definitely needs to be some changes made to the laws in this state and a subsequent increase in policing the new laws. There is no reason someone should be able to set more than 10 bush hooks or 10 jugs and there should definitely be a limit on the amount of catfish a person should be able to keep. If you can jug or set line responsibly then so be it, but I have yet to meet a guy personally who does either that doesn't keep everything they catch, it kinda seems to go hand in hand. I dunno, I guess there's nothing to do but biatch about it and hope that things improve and some people wise up and start practicing selective harvest. Here's another thing to consider a 50lb fish could feed 50+ people, how many of those does a person actually need during the course of a year, much less a week.

15. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    id bet a 50 lb muskie would not even touch a 15 lb blue cat..........go talk to the commercial catters at santee.......they pull in there trot lines andthe flatheads are trying to devour the cahnnels and blues on the lines..
    but that wasnt my point.
    .......and also you call them idiot juggers........how do you know they are all idiots?......sure some of thenm are. ...but sure some of them are smarter than you and me..i use setlimbs sometimes but i dont put setliners down..i actuall cut dowm some setlines someone had left up(for a long time) friday evening.......if i see someone breaking the law(like putting a live bream on it) i would call the wildlife officer ....i wouldnt put down the next guy who said somthing about setlining...................my point which no one got is you started your reply with
    "I don't know if you noticed Catkiller but most who post reports on this board don't believe in jugging. There's not sport in it what so ever."

i dont see anything on this site banning jugging questions...

whats sport for some people maynot be for others and vice versa.....even though i havent jugged in 2 years ...it is sport to me...and fun............

and if someone wants to know where to put out jugs at jordan i will glady tell tell them....i dont fish badin or falls.....closest thing i fish to there is the uwharrie river.....for smallies.......
    one day someones not going to like your style of fishing.......you think the jugger who cant jug anymore is going to stand with you ????????

like i said the crotch rocket guys dont like the goldwing guys.........everyone just always wants to put the other one down........if someone does something illegal......get on them, call the law
    but dont put down the guy doing something legal.........

any to the other poster, ihave aid that severla lakes in nc problay have the reocrd in it...norman badin kerr.......kerr just has the potential for the biggest...........the neuse surely has a record or 2 swimming it right now.....i cannot use line bigger than 30 lb....why?? i fish out of canoes.....hang a snag with anything over 30 and it is very hard to pull and break the line....it wants to drag my 15lb anchor....it took me problay 2-3 minutes to land the 46lber on 30lb test......3 times on the neuse with the same or comparable outfit i have hung fish that i could not do anything with,,,,,i will say that i have seen tarpon and other saltwater fish where that is even though it is 30 miles abouve any salt......
    ............you brought that up because you must be the guy who caught the record.....congrats....
    good fishing
    mack

16. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    tomahawk
    you said you people down east
    forgot about that line.....are including me as "you people"
    cary is west of the fall line so that surely doesnt include me...and i was born on the haw river..house overlooks the river
    also you people is seen by some people as a "put down".............
    have you all ever heard you get more with honey than vinegar??????

i actually love flatheads....i just dont get all mad when someone takes em home......there not supposed to be here...and yes i know rainbows and browns and others are not supposed to be here also..

any oh yes i have personally seen the numbers of redbreast reduced...

i also got into with a bioligist(which i posted) because he was doing a survey on contentnea creek and asked me what i caught that day....told him an 8lb blue and a 25 lb flattie....he, i dont thing beleived me since i was in a canoe....i show hiom the pics and he got mad at me for releasing gthe fish!!!!!told him i caught it and i can do what i want to with it.......the same thing i will tell someone when i leave a river one day with a big one and they say, you should have let it go.....i will say its none of your beeswax what i do with it..... ..
    like i have said once before on this regs crap stuff.....you all get badin and your other waters closed off to jugging , sethooks or whatever......then that will be that fisst lake where fishing is banned 1 day for good....dont beleive me.....it may not happen in oour lifetime but it will come up one day....

.just leave the neuse and my other waters and regs alone...........

my neighbor is blowing his driveway off.....think i will call the town of cary and try to get blowers banned......crap!! i have a blower....good fishing mack

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac i didnt get the record but i know a jugger that landed 7 fish before march all in this year that all weighed more than 70 lbs and the biggest was 93lbs. man said he lost one over a 100lbs. the day i ran into him he had caught a 50lber plus several others that was decent size. so i dont think you understand the problem jugs are posing to our yadkin chain. i dont like to post about it because some will see this and go jug crazy and fill the lakes once again with more jugs. you said you havent fished badin or falls so how can you say its okay for these guys to keep taking. just ran into another guy today at bass pro said he kept 5-6 fish last friday in the 30lb range off jugs. there isnt a good weather weekend in the summer months that goes without 100-150 jugs out in these lakes. maybe your waters dont see this kind of preasure i dont anything about your waters but i would like to see your face when you paddled up stream to meet a 150 jugs coming at you every weekend. you wouldnt like it after a while i guarnatee you that one. now i havent bashed elvis's way of fishing at all. all i said was why we didnt like it and that i would help him anyway i could. i will not help somene wanting to jug and i believe there is a few great catters on this board that will agree with me. also i believe alot of these juggers are new to catfishing and thats the reason they go with the jugs. as for the flathead eating the blue.... i say it was a fight for spawning terr. have you ever seen a big flat with scares on his head?

18. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I'm no biologist and don't claim to no all the answers but it's easy to see the greatly increased pressure on catfish in our lakes, just over the past three years. I just hope the NCWRC can see it and come up with a plan...:wink: Santee Cooper has held its own over the years (even though its not what it use to be) with a lot of pressure, and they have finally come up with regulations, our lakes don't have near the water and size to hold up as long, with the increased pressure. I'm sure everybody on this site wants to conserve catfishing no matter what method you use to catch them, RIGHT ??? Be responsible, release the big fish, only keep what you can eat.

19. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    flatheads and blues dont spawn in water 40 ft deep...this fish was trying to eat the blue...only its tail was out of her mouth at the end ..like i said go to santee and talk with the trot linners.....they will tell you of big flatheads eating 10-15 lb cats that were on the trot line.............\
    .maybe juggers are a problem at badin, but i will say this like i said in a post earlier this year.....what i see (internet, papers, magazines) and hear, freinds who fish the yadkin chain.,,,,,i do fish the pee dee near where the little dumps in......is that no one is having a hard time catching big cats..what i see and hear is that its very good.....if it aint broke dont fix it.........i would think there is a problem when the likes of tomahawk and others go out and we here they cant catch them....i cant prove without catching some 50 -70 lbers which i havent but i promise you that a 70lb flathead eats a cat that most people would love to catch.....10lb channel cat....yummie..no telling how many 1-5 lb cats they eat .............the live bream i use..big ones, a 3lb channel cant eat well but a 3lb flattie has no problem...
    also gets regs for badin if you wish but dont put down a guy whos doing something legal........

if you get the regs you all wish for and someone breaks the regs call the warden......if he"s legal wave at him..........

20. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Mack, you're right, there can still be some big fish caught in these lakes, we're just trying to keep it that way. Back in the late 70's and on into the 80's Tuckertown lake ,which is in between High Rock and Badin on the yadkin chain got popular for big flatheads, you read about it in magazines, saw pictures of big fish in the news paper, the next thing you know it was fished out. We don't want that to happen to any of the yadkin chain lakes again. If more fisherman would have released big fish back then , it would still be a great lake to catch trophy cats....:wink: