Who is going to take Adrian Peterson?

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by osageCo_flathead, Oct 15, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Alright fellow Raider fans...here is Oakland's shot to get in on a truly elite player of which a team can be built around....will they do the right thing and pick him up...I fear not.

I know a few people inside the program and I think what happened to AD yesterday has pretty much pushed him towards leaving early. Believe it or not from what I "heard" he was pretty much on the fence up until yesterday. great player at OU but its time to move on.

I think Davis will screw this up as well. 3/4 of the suspect teams to receive a top 5 pick are prob not looking for a HB. Lets take a look at the suspects and scenarios.

Oakland: as stated above...I have no faith in Davis and more than likely they will throw their pick away. I think Oakland should take Peterson...if not take GT's Johnson because that kid is an elite WR...but lets stay on track here. I say "no" on Oakland...

San Fran: Can they afford him at this point? I think SF drafts on the defensive side of the ball or trades the pick if they are in a top 5 spot. "No"

Green Bay: This just might happen. Would the Packers pass up this chance? I think they would take him. But I have a feeling Favre will play them outside of a top draft pick. "NO"...but yes if they have a high enough pick.

Detroit: They have a nice young talent in Jones. The Lions have their eye on Quinn IMO. Dont count Detroit out of doing something bone-headed like taking the best WR available even though they dont need one LOL. I think the Lions draft Quinn if he is around or go after a defensive player. "No way they take AD"

Tennessee: They have a ton of young talent at RB on that team. I think they would go in a different direction as well. "No"

Houston: If you believe what Houston's HC has said the answer is "NO". According to him their run offense is built around a system and there is no need to pay the big bucks for a running back...and I think he will stick to this theory....why else would you skip on a chance to pick up Reggie freaking Bush??? I still dont get that. "NO"...as dumb as that sounds.

Cleveland: If the Browns do not play their way out of a shot at AD I say they jump on a shot to pick him up.

Arizona: They have "Edge" soaking up the cap in Cardinal land. Wont happen. my vote..."No"

Tampa: "no"....they have a good young back.

This might end up being a totally new situation we have yet to experience. Peterson can go ahead and hire an agent at any point now should he decide to do so. The negotiations will start very early. Looking at the teams that seem to have a legit shot at taking Peterson I think we will end up seeing a big trade come down for the rights to Peterson. Giants, Jets, Cowboys and Steelers are a few of the teams that could get a huge boost from a guy like Peterson on the roster. I know Barber is the man at NY....but he has been around for a while....this is my .2 cents on the subject.

2. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just remember last time NY tried drafting a replacement for Barber.....Ron Dayne busted. And besides, they have a GREAT young back in Jacobs. With this injury do you think he may not declare and then play another year and go for the Heisman? Also, they are saying he may be be able to heal up in time for a bowl game. so we may want to wait until then.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I agree with ya Dmitri. Jacobs runs hard and strong but I think Barber still has some years left. He didnt become the feature back for the Giants right away. And besides If he aint hurt and they give him the ball enough there is no reason why the Giants cant step up and take the east

4. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Basically he now understands millions of dollars are on the line in reguards to his health.

Ron Dane....oh lord!!! No offense...but comparing Dane to Peterson is like night and day. Work ethic, break away speed, the list goes on and on...but that Jacobs kid is a gammer for sure. I like him a lot. I did not neccesarly mean he will be a Giant just that he would thrive on that team. Peterson is rare combo of strength and speed. Someone will make a move for this kid. I love Reggie Bush but the fear was he could not get it done between the tackles and might not be an every down back...not my words....I love the kid and thought Houston was dead wrong not drafting Bush.....but that was floating around on the draft board discusions.

Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson is an aboslute freak as well. I dont think a team could go wrong with that kid on its roster.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    no doubt about it - petterson is special...the only question is...will he injure easily in the nfl?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think he will stay in college for another year. No special reason except for the love and respect he has shown for his father. The game Sat. was the first time his dad got to see him play since he was 12 years old. If he goes pro, his dad won't be able to see him play for several years. I don't believe paroled felons can leave the state until they complete their parole. I think AD will want his dad see him play - after all it was his dad who nicknamed him AD. At any rate, my best wishes to him and his family. May God strengthen their wills to live a live in accordance with the civil laws and with God's laws.

7. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    the raiders need a qb.if they can i would trade down ,pick up another pick and still should have a chance at adrien or a qb in quinn or t. smith..calvin is good but i dont know about first overall.your probaly right though the raiders will blow it

8. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois

Should we look at Dayne and Peterson's College numbers? After two years Dayne's numbers were better...at this point in the season in his third year Dayne's numbers were better....in four years he had 7125 rush yards. He had 12 200 yard games, and a Big twelve record of 71 Touchdowns, and he got the heisman. Now, looking at those numbers, who really thought he would do what he has done in the pros? Who is to say the Peterson won't bust? I personally don't think he will, but is it really night and day? Dayne was to be the next Jerome Bettis. He had the power to rush through linebackers and Defensive lineman, and just like Bettis in college he had the agility and speed to juke and outrun corners and safeties. He just couldn't get in done in te pros. Maybe he was a product of the system, but he had a great game against the cowboys last year when he got his chance to play.