Who is Fishing and Who is Hanging it up?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatHunter24, Dec 12, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have talked to some people who are going to fish throughout the winter months on the Ohio River and other waterways. Other members have told me that they hang it up in the cold months, particularly with how tough the fishing has been lately. So I wondered, who plans to bear the cold and try to go for some trophy blues this winter?

2. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Me I am cutting bait for the spring:wink:

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i may hang it up not sure yet. im stuck on the bank since i dont own a boat:sad2: so i guess the only time i would go out now would be if someone is heading down to the public landing in cinci and has an open seat. but only if i can make it seeing i live 2 hrs from there:angry:

4. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im not hanging it up.Havent been out in a month because of work.But plan on hitting the ohio pretty hard in Jan and Feb with the guys I work and Fish with.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My new ( to me) boat is just about all rigged up so I am just waiting for some decent weather and water conditions and Ill b back on it. Typically fish anytime temps are above freezing, really hate driving with trailer on ice covered roads, ramps, snow, and worse yet the long drive back home in windchills below freezing, thats really bad on a lower unit where there will always be a bit of water:crazy:

Heading out to Ceasers Creek today for a test drive on my old boat.

Salmonid

6. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Curtis, you know I'm ready to brave the cold! You never know when that big one is gonna bite:wink:!

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We are going to the James this winter. I will also be down you guys way to fish on the Ohio River with some of you birds as well..:wink::big_smile: rollo

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Thats the spirit, lol, hopefully we get lucky and they bite all winter. But, its been slow and disappointing so far. Hopefully cooler water temps will change things.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im not from ohio, but i fish over there a little. personally i am going to keep on fishing, i have had to break the ice beads off my line before. its not bad if you dress the part. i usually hang the cat gear up for the most part and target other fish however. this year will be no different, im on the prowl for sauger and walleye this year, thanks to one of our brothers turning me onto them.

10. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Fish don't hibernate thy gotta eat:tounge_out:, it sure is alot peaceful out there without the pleasure boaters. :cool2:

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Heading out all day tomorrow. We got 5 inches of ice on farm ponds after this past week. Gonna try a reservoir and see if we can get some pan fish or a few channels.
    The cold weather don't stop fishing, it changes the style and what you fish for. Hoping to get my 1st musky thru the ice this year.

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I fish all year and I love winter fishing for blue cats !!!

they stack and bunch up good and will 9x out of 10 eat once ya find them not all of course ..

less boat traffic is awsome also most day i see no other boats or just a couple :big_smile::big_smile:

finding fresh bait in the cold winter months can be a real pain at times tho but being on the water is allways fun to me ..

and if the lake or river is froze I head to the power plant lakes and fish the warm water dishcarge areas !!! also easy place to get bait in winter months !!!

13. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i'm not done for the year yet ,just got to do a little work on the boat and i'll be back out:big_smile::big_smile:

14. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Yep I am sticking with it. I have a decent bank spot. It has all been under water lately though. This is my first winter where I am going to try to fish all the way through.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    Me and the cats don't get along in winter. Gonna start hitting the saugeye soon, they should be picking up very good.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A real fisherman fishes 12 months out of the year and does not put his fishing gear in storage for the winter. Guys that hunt is an exception.

I don't know about Ohio, but there is always something willing to bite here in SE PA such as musky, hybrids, walleyes, and stripers in the wintertime. Also, there is icefishing!:cool2:

17. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i m a WOSEY!!! Iv already cleaned,oiled and greased my reels and got them put up, hell iv even cleaned my rods and every thing:sad2::sad2::roll_eyes::cool2::wink:

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I do this EVERY year! I have the boat winterized, the batteries out, projects planned.... I hate to be cold! Then I get a call saying "C'mon Shawn! Let's go to the James River".... I'll be ready and then in March I'll start pressing the weather.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will continue on! I cheris the winter because that's when we catch our biggest fish.

BB in SC

20. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i would to if i was in the Carolina states :cool2: oh no. i live up here in yakey land freezing my tail off for 3 months a year :angry::angry: yes, mr bill in s.c. you do hear some envy in my typing:big_smile::smile2::smile2::wink: