Who hunts with handguns?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by massa_jorge, Aug 2, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know we have some brothers and sisters that hunt with their handguns, i would like to hear about it.

i have shot one mule deer with my ruger p 90 .45 acp, 60 yards.
    a few hogs with the same pistol.

i have shot a few hogs with my ruger gp-100 .357 mag

and the only hangun i ever bought specifically for hunting i have never shot any hogs or deer with, my ruger super blackhawk .44 mag. it's the hunter model, satin stainless with black laminate grips and a 7 1/2" barrel. it has killed its share of jackrabbits and one coyote, maybe this year will be the year i get to break it in!

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have hunted deer with a Dan Wesson .357 several years running in the past... always turned the deer around or over with it.

Just sold my Thompson Encore last year. It had barrels in .223, .243, .50 black powder and .300 Winchester Magnum and a rifle stock (for the .50 and .300 Winmag)

Now I carry a .45ACP as a second when rifle hunting, and will not hesitate popping a cap on a deer with it.

In my lifetime I've probably killed 100 deer. Most were killed with a broadhead, but at least 10 fell to my pistols.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    By all means, dust off the Blackhawk! I think the 45ACP is too light for deer an hogs. Indiana won't let you use it deer hunting. But I remember the mulies are a lil smaller than whitetail....I'm a big fan of the 41 Magnum. Have a S&W stainless 6", and a Taurus Tracker in 41. I'm a lil recoil shy, an the 44 was just a bit much for me. I think the 357 is fine also. I've had good success with both, but limit my range as in bow hunting with the "gun of the hand". The state regs. are a mystery not understood by the average joe...always wondered why you can use a handgun, but not a carbine chambered for the same cartridge? We can use slugs, and blackpowder sabots, but not a handy lever action. Go figure. I have an edge on ya here in Indiana too as mostly thick cover woods to hunt in. I'd put some optics on that Blackhawk an get busy with it. I think taking meat with a handgun, gives ya lil more bragging rights.....but like Clint said, "Man ought to know his limitations." LOL It's a real advantage actually, from the tree stand, when they come under you. But I don't shoot well enough beyond 30 yrds or so...so you are a much better shot than me. You should be good to go.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well gary before you give me any credit on being a good shot, the mulie was 4 shots and two hit. the first shot killed him, the third shot blew his knee apart. i caught him crossing a wash and he was smelling the ground, so i don't think anything was on his mind but the scent trail, haha. the one that killed him obliterated one lung and broke his shoulder, and after that hit he just stood there, then went down on his face. he dressed out 270 with the guts out. mulies, where i live anyway, are usually much bigger in the body than the whitetails. any hog i have shot with the .45 acp has been a 1 shot kill. i shoot remington 230 grain hp's. in my experience it has been more than enough for deer or hogs. i have heard the horror stories though!
    i can hit a milk jug from 80 yards with iron sights with my .44 mag, as long as i have a solid rest. free hand would have to be much closer. that revolver came with scope mounts, but if i wanted to use a scope, i have the ol '06. i want a challenge, and i think the scope would take away from that!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the above post i am not detracting from those that use tree stands or even feeders, i just live for the stalk. there's nothing better than sneaking into a deer's living area and taking it that way, in my opinion.
    i tried to edit the post, but it said the time had expired. thanks to everyone about the input!

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I agree with boots, the 45acp i way too light for deer. I hunt squirrels and bullfrogs with a .22 ruger mark III with a target bull barrel. mmm love those frog legs. they really do taste like chicken:big_smile_2:

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Have hunted quite a bit with a TC Contender with a 30 Harritt Barrel and a 44
    Mag barrel. Mostly small game and deer and it has been a blast using them. I do have them scoped though as my old eyes don't see as well as they used to. Both cals have been good for deer.
    Bill

8. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    I hunt with the S&W 460XVR Compensated Hunter Performance Center Model revolver w/ Bushnell 2-6 scope. It will reach out to 250 yards (from a rock steady rest) dead center of cross hairs. From zero to 250 yards this revolver held crosshairs dead on is amazingly accurate. I have put over 500 rounds through it and have not yet had a deer in my crosshairs that I would have taken a shot at. I have had a 12 point at 50 yards in the crosshairs but the brush and trees between us would not let my finger tighten on the trigger. I shoot this revolver every opportunity I get and I can say with confidence I could make a shot at 250 yards but I would not even dream of it unless conditions were at the absolute best meaning no wind, rock steady rest (not in tree stand) and light was very good due to the fact this scope does not gather much light. Even at the best of conditions I would more than likely make every attempt to either draw the deer to me or I would attempt to get much closer.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/modare/Gun039.jpg

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Id like to give it at try but with the baby another gun is out of the budget as is the elk hunt I was trying to save up for.:too_sad:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have often thought about trying a sling-shot to take a doe...can't convince the ODNR man that would be a good way to hunt! lol rollo

11. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Jordan. That ruger super blackhawk hunter is one sweeeet unit.
    I'm putting one on my christmas list. I hope Santa (wife) feels generous this year.
    I would like to use it to hunt javelina this spring.

12. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use a 629 44mag pc light hunter. It shoots better than i do, so I have to keep shots under 60-70 yds. I use to use a 357 gp100, but it wasn't quite enough gun, always a dead deer, but not always a blood trail to lead me to him.

13. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I carry a 10mm as a backup during deer season but haven't had a chance to shoot one with it yet.

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used a Dan Wesson .357 Mag for a few years then went to a Smith & Wesson .44 mag the 629 Classic with a 7" barrel and now I use a TC with a 16" barrell chambered for 45-70 Gov. Here in Ohio we had to use only the caliber handgun that was listed in the game laws but a few years back they changed the law to any streight wall cartridge so I went with the 45-70. We can only use shotguns, muzzleloaders or handguns in deer gun season and if you use a shotgun you can't carry a handgun so its one or the other and with the 45-70 I have it sighted in at 125 yards which will take any shot I can get on my farm.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hot darn John,
    That 45-70 has to hurt shooting it. I shoot a friends 308 single shot pistol for about 6 rounds once and found myself closing my eyes and jerking. I'm a sissy I guess.
    Bill

16. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I am not mobile enough to hunt anymore but in the past I have used my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag and my Smith 22 Jet to take deer both scoped and iron sight. I have a Magnum Research Lone Eagle in 308 Win that would suffice very well but I have not used it on anything but varmints. My Colt Woodsman Match targer and the 22 Rem Jet were my everday working guns. The Jet got a lot of bad press but I sure have got a lot of good service out of mine. I have shot prarie dogs with a friends 221 Fireball You can work your rear end off trying to get a rifle to shoot like the fireball will stock out of the box. A friend had a Ruger 7 1/2 " bbl 22 mag that shot so good that I would have given almost anything to have had it. He traded it for a 6" bbl with two cylinders that was a major disappointment by comparison. Back in those days the cost of ammunition was a significant factor.

Good shooting!

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

"Rifles with pistol cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case lenght of 1.12 inches; and have a maximun case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms season." thats from the 07-08 Hunting and Trapping guide, that what you ment or am i just completly clueless? lol

18. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Two years ago I borrowed a ruger super blackhawk hunter model on a friday night killed a doe with it the next morning. I've been hooked every since, almost as good as bow huntin. Last year I put an aimdot scope on my wifes S/W 357 killed a big 8 pointer opening morning. About a month ago I bought a ruger super blackhawk 44 hunter model put a 2X9 scope on it. Looking forward to this season.

19. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    .45 ACP vs. .45 Colt vs. 454 Casull

Let's get real hear. No one on this board that has any knowledge of hunting handguns would say the 454 Casull is not enough gun to hunt big game. How about a hot loaded .45 Colt from a Blackhawk or Redhawk?
    Deadly right?

A .45 ACP is the same basic thing but with less energy. What a 454 can do at 150 yards a hot loaded .45 Colt can do at 100 yards and a .45 ACP can do at 35 yards.

Given bow distances (read 35 yards or under) I would not hesitate to put a properly constructed .45 ACP bullet in a hog or deer if I had a clear shot.

Most folks do not realize what a .45 slug can do. They look in awe at a .44 Mag but they do not realize that by going from .429 bore diameter to .45 you can transfer more energy with less internal pressure. Bigger hole means faster bleed out ect. ect.

I have two babies. One is a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt that is one of the most accurate handguns that I have ever fired. The other is a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in .45ACP/.45 Colt convertible.

[​IMG]

My 4 5/8" Blackhawk is my constant hunting and camping companion. I have used it to kill both deer and hogs at short distances with 230 grain Gold Dot, 230 grain Golden Saber and 230 grain Ranger ammo. All the kills were clean with good blood trails except for one hog I hit in the skull that went down instantly.
    My preferred hunting load for this gun is a .45 Colt loading. 255 grain hard cast SWC that is trucking along at just over 1100 FPS. It rocks. Complete pass thru on most animals. I would use it on anything that walks this land.

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    riddleofsteel,

That is one GREAT post! I hunt (deer) w/ a Ruger .454 or a T/C COntender .45-70. I've seen both just devastate deer. I'm partial to my Ruger .454 though. :big_smile: