Who here uses anchovies for them channel catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 26, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i dont know about you guys on the east coast, but for some reason i have caught more fish on bagged frozen anchovies from walmart than mackrel, shrimp, chicken livers, dough bait/stink bait, or even nightcrawlers

but dont get me wrong i use the others and they work as well i just have caught more fish on anchovies

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used them but here is my question for you. how the heck do you keep them on the hook. as soon as they start to thaw out, they disentergrate. do you use them whole or do you bag them in cheese cloth or anything? just curious. i would use them more if i could keep them on the hook.

3. redhammer

redhammer New Member

State:
    az
    Run the hook through them twice......and try to put the hook through either the head or tail portion of the bait. I usually fish anchovies in halves.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    that might work. hopefully it does. the water temp out here is around 70 so i hope that if i use them i wont wind up with a skull and spine left on my hook. will try some tommorow night and let you guys know how i do.

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    well to be honest with you joey, around here in so cal there alot of pay lakes where i fish more often then natural rivers and such, so the fish arent that big and i end up cutting the anchovies into 3rds, and then just hooking through their back bone, however my grandpa used to hook whole anchovies through the back bone down here at the colorado river, then he would wrap his line around the tail about 3 times and kinda trying a knot around the fish, i never expierimented with it cus i was young when i saw him do this but he caught fish all time time with anchovies, just make sure you dont tie a real knot in your line, that would be no bueno:wink:

btw split that belly and pour out them guts for more action + sent

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have had good luck with anchovies also. I usually wrap some sewing thread around the achovie like I do with chicken livers, it keeps it on the hook a lot longer. I still preffer mackeral but anchovies work well.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    here is my next question. do you thaw out the anchovies first or leave them frozen. as you know out here in az it get mighty hot and my experience with anchovies has been that they turn into a liquid mess. i lerarned this the hard way. i went and bought a big bag of whole frozen anchovies took them home and cut them into thirds while they were still frozen. i left them in a ziploc bag in the fridge over night, and took them out to go fishing. by the time i got to my honey hole all i had left was chum. they were some bigger peices left and when i tried to hook them they ddisentergrated. i have heard of the mackeral idea from a few other people, but i have yet to be able to find any out here. i have looked everywhere, walmmart, albertsons, frys, you name it i have looked there. and its not like we have to many fish markets out here in the middle of the dessert:angry:. i am constantly trying new baits and since this is something i have heard of before i am willing to give it a shot. i will try again tonight and let you guys know how it goes.

8. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    hey joey, i cut mine just like you, but i refreeze mine, throwing them out there when they are frozen is fine, wont take long for them to thaw out in the water in your neck of the woods....

mackrel is bassically the same concept of anchovies, very salty and fishy fish, same goes for the principle of the anchovies with mackrel when it comes to the defrosting of the fish out in the sun, you get mush, i cut mine before i go out and put it in a ziplock bag and throw them back in the freezer, i found this the best way due to it falling apart when it gets warmer, if you can keep them cool throughout the day it helps, if by chance you can get them fresh from the deli or the store, the freshness of the fish entices the bite, however, same thing, in the sun, they desentigrate, sounds like any bait long enough in the sun will do this, even shrimp, never knew shrimp could smell so bad lol:happy:

9. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i can get some frozen sardines and imay give them a shot tonight. i dont think i will be able to locate anchovies, but if i can i will definately use some. i will let you guys know how well they work for me.

10. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    im sure sardines work just as well as anchovies, however, around my part of town you can only get them in the can , no bueno, good luck