Who here makes they're own weights??....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 20, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    me and my dad go out to the garage and make about 50 egg and bank weights each week and in the winter about 100-150 bcuz the garage gets nice and cozey after that lead burner gets hot

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I make my own weights. I have about a dozen molds and enjoy making sinkers!

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    ya its very relaxing and a great way to save money i mean at wally world u get like 3 1 oz sinkers flor like 1$ thats highway robbery right there

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I want to start making weights but just don't have a clue on how to go about doing it.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I make my own also, save's a little money too.
    Zakk, if you are coming to the national, you should be able to get some on the job training.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I just started makin my weights and jigs this year. I must say it is fun.

I remember the first weekend i bought a couple molds, a melter (small electric ladle style for a starter) and some lead.

I made about $10 worth of stuff and it only cost me about $200 to get started..:eek:oooh: lol

In the long run i will be savin money, as i go through a LOT of jigs in the winter and spring. It's nice to be able to put the size of jighead on the size of hook that I want and not the size the stores have available!

cyas
    rc

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's great but make sure there is plenty fresh air ventilation when melting lead or using an open flame.

I been casting bullets and sinkers for over 35 years.

8. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I love making my own weights. You can make exactly what you want and the type you want. Plus, when you go to gatherings it provides a nice place to conversate and share lies!

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also make my own. I like egg sinkers and as many as i go through it saves me quite a bit of money!

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i make my own also. between me and my 2 fishin buds i think we have around 12 or 13 different molds that we swap out. gettin pretty hard to find cheap lead these days though and when youre pouring 8-10 ounce sinkers it dont take long to go through a bunch.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I will be bringing around 500# of lead to the national for the weight making session. Any molds that you might have are appreciated and welcomed. This will help out when the molds get to hot and have to cool down.

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been making my own for about a year now, I like to do it when sittting in the garage telling people the real way to fish. LOL Later Andy

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've been making sinkers for a lot of years. Even when I was just a youngster we couldn't get lead sinkers so we made do with whatever we could find like an old rusty nut or bolt or even a rock with a hole in it, those were the days.

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ok guys question:
    ive been wantin ta do this for years, but all the molds i see are multi size molds. if i only want 1/2 oz. egg sinkers then why should i have to pay $30 or so for a mold and outta 9 holes only 4-5 are the size i need, the others are either a size bigger or a size smaller which wont be used. I want a mold with one size only. is there such a thing?

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bigcat4 be CAREFUL of that "warm and cozy" garage.

When you melt lead it gives off a vapor that is poisonous and can kill you.

If you are doing this "weekly", then you should probably be wearing a respirator if you are working inside.

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I had the split shot mold a smokin last night. Nothing better to do so I poured until the mold got too hot, let it cool down and do it again. I need a bell sinker mold and I can't find a cheap one. I slowly get the molds where ever I can pick them up cheap. Fun stuff but I need a vent system to get rid of the fumes.

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've just started to make my own. I actually got into it because of duck hunting. Decoy weights are way cheaper to make then they are to buy!

18. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    i know when we do it we usaly take a brake out side and leave the door open after about 30-40 min. of making weights

me and my dads been doing this yar round for about 9 years but together its probably about 29 years

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  20. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I make my own. The walking sinker and the no roll. But, am planning on getting another couple of molds. One for the egg sinker and the finesse sinker and maybe a couple of others for bank and spoon sinkers.

I used to make all my own bullets for reloading so I had the melting pot etc. Just needed the molds for sinkers. So, I picked up those two I mentioned first, last fall. Have only made one pouring though. But, made enough that I won't have to cast anymore of those two types for quite some time.