Who here fishes the aqueduct?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Moonlightn, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Hello all,
    I was just curious of how many members here fish the concrete river. That's where I have been fishing the most lately. It has taken me some time to get use to fishing it but I have always had a good time there. I have hooked up with some nice fish there and to date have not landed anything over 10lbs. Lets hear some aqueduct stories.
    Ron

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Howdy Ron,
    I have fished it on occassion. With the fast current, I usually fish the duct off an old farm road that goes over the duct. Fish right off the bridge:wink: This way the line is in the middle of the current and not at the edge:confused2: I have my net rigged with my pool cleaning pole (telescopic) Now I have a net that reaches the water from the bridge:wink:
    Seen Vini lose a nice fish out there....He got so pissed off he tossed his pole and reel in the duct:crazy::smile2: What part of the duct you fish brother? You fish any of the head gates?

3. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Robb,
    Mostly I fish the Buttonwillow and Taft areas . I have had good luck fishing about 1/4-1/2 mile down from the gates. For some reason I only hook smaller fish at the gates. A couple of days ago I leaned into something that really took me for a run and toasted my real. That is what keeps me going back!
    Ron

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Ron, I have fished the duct several times near Palmdale with not much luck.... Did not give it to much of try... like stay out long..
    I plan to stop more often as I head north out of Los Angles on I 5.

Got several places that I want to try near hwy 41 near Kettleman.

There are some who here on the BOC that fish it regularly...:0a23:

:0a19: Merry Christmas... Bayrunner Ray

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ron, what size sinker you use? Is the bank real steep and cement? I have seen pictures of the duct in parts of the south, where the bank is not that steep. Just wondering?

6. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    The amount of lead I use all depends on how far the gates are open. Sometimes I don't use any at all. As for the bank, I don't know the pitch. A friend of mine tells me that he knows of a spot where it is almost straight up and down. Although I have not seen it with my own eyes yet. It does sound like an interesting spot.
    Could someone please explain to me. What is legal live bait in the duct.

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
  8. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the link! Although that is the very link that led to all of the questions. They could have made it more user friendly. I guess I just need someone to dumb it down a little for me.lol

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ron, welcome to the B.O.C. brother, it's good to know I have a member close by that likes fish the duct. I fish the aqueduct every chance I get. I live in Taft and have some very good places to fish. Are you from Bakersfield are Buttonwillow. I am supprised I have not ran in to you before. Give me a pm some time and maybe we can get togather and do some fishing.

10. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the welcome Phil!
    I live in Bakersfield and fish the Taft area mostly. I fish it about every chance I get as well. Mostly I prefer to go during the week due to the amount of bank traffic on Sat. and Sunday. I seem to have much better luck when I take a stealthy approach. So if I see a vehicle where I intended on fishing. I simply move on. If you are there as often as I am. The odds of us having passed one another are fairly good. I am looking forward to meeting you one day.
    Ron

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning Ron.
    And mary Christmas to you and all the brothers and sisters on the B.O.C.
    I to would rather fish the week days, but it is only because my wife usually keeps me hooked up on the weekends. Hear Lately they have been turning the pumps off during the day, and what I have found is if the water is not running, they will not bite. Ron, I drive a little 1955 tan CJ5 with a brown cloth top and a rack on the back, so if you see It I will be around their fishing some place close. As to being a stealthy fisherman, I am a little different, my wife tells people that I have never met a stranger. just the other day I met a young man fishing the duct and the next time I seen him, he was the paramedic on the ambulance that was hauling my butt to the heart hospital in Bakersfield. now I have a new friend, and he told me that anytime I have trouble with my breathing Just give them a call and and unless they have to transfer me to the hospital that their would be no charge." that is a state law " and that is something I would never have known had I not befriended him on that day of fishing.

12. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    1955 CJ5?:big_smile: You are a man after my heart.
    That is a interesting story Slick. It is a small world isn't it. If I see your vehicle I will definitely stop. What is your record aqueduct catch? And Merry Christmas to you and all of the BOC brother and sisters as well!!!

13. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    Merry Christmas all.

I am still new to this site. I have been fishing for about 2 years now and go to the concrete stream every chance I get. I usually fish the duct there in Hesperia. I currently live in the Inland Empire area.

14. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    It's nice to see that there are a few people here that aren't ashamed to say they fish the duct.:big_smile:

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California

16. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    the nearest access to the duct down south near the inland empire is near phelen and victorville. ive fished there a few times, dont go alone it gets scary out there. as for luck nothing, i have never gone when the current was good, they shut down the ducts current every once in a while but never had luck with the timing, its very weedy and its no fun catching that stuff, the only luck i had with the duct was near valencia at quill lake, kinda like a resevior, caught 6 at night, fillet size back in august, only downfall is that it gets very windy and th tide will rise throughout the night, hope this info on so cal duct was benificial for the so cal brothers, good luck

Mikey

17. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Mikey, I know your feeling about the aquaduct fishing at night. I have come down from the hills from Wrightwood to fish at nite and have often thought of taking my 410 with me as a side kick....

Here is a link that Plumbertom1 has posted that gives other points of access to the aquaduct.... "official fishing spots"

http://www.aqueductfishing.zoomshare.com/2.html

Have a great "new year" Bayrunner Ray

18. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA

one of my friends live in phelen, off shandin rd. we would go down beekly rd to the bridge that crosses the aquaduct down off the 18 near sheepcreek rd

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTE...w--#mvt=m&lat=34.503011&lon=-117.580896&mag=3

as you can see from the map thats not near the main st so it can get scary, but i have not gotten any luck there and he put in countless hours as well and nothing, i think we try there since its 5 mins away from his house, but nothing but weeds there ive found lol

19. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    The duct around Bakersfield hasn't had an issue with weeds for months. It is hit and miss though. I prefer to fish the duct at night. I have never ran into any problems other than a group of about 10 non english speaking individuals that thought they would fish right beside me. When they showed up I was setting in silence with a blacklight not 60' away. They got out 3 spotlights, the beer, started a fire and turned on the mariachi music. Needless to say the bite was over. That's when I got the hint and left.
    Now the Kern river around Bakersfield is were I have ran into bad situations. When I fish I like to bring my 3 year old daughter with me to enjoy the outdoors. One day we didn't have a lot of time to fish. So we hit the river just right outside of town for some smallmouth bass action. Shortly after we arrived a man in his 30's approached me and made a comment about me having the intent to molest my daughter down there and that the fishing gear was just a cover. To make a long story short. I convinced him otherwise and my little girl and I left. Needless to say we have not went back since.

20. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mikey,
    I think you would find the weeds are all gone this time of year, we had weeds hear in kern county to until the cold weather came and now their all gone. I fished the Aqueduct several nights this past summer, right next to the prison hear in Taft, and had no trouble. But I always cary my pistol when I am out fishing at night.