Who has used persimmons?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman529, Oct 11, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read that persimmons, those orange fruits, are deadly bait. How do you fish them - they seem to mushy to stay on a hook. What species do they catch? If you have had success with these, let me know.

Thanks and tight lines

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    At various times I've caught channels on persimmons, mulberries and rasins simply hook them on a small j-hook

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have those on a tree in my yard i may try one they are awful sour .

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    might be like chinaberries. ive heard that if you mush up a chinaberry n throw in water, the fish will float to top of water parylized. aint tried it yet.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Got loads of trees but never ever heard of using it for bait. There are some ripe ones now as I've probably ate a dozen or more. The deer will clean em up pretty quick now. Last year they tore the limbs off the trees getting to the persimmons. They have already eaten all of my okra plants so it shouldn't be long.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know about the using them for bait ,but they sure are good eating (when ripe that is).Don't try eating them unless they are completel orange. Best after the first frost if the deer don't get them first.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Haven't tried them for fishing bait but I agree they make great deer bait. The deer are destroying the wild presimmon trees right now around here. :tounge_out: