Who has luck using Crayfish for Catbait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Larry, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've seen a couple casual mentionings of people catching Catfish on Crayfish.
    Has anybody had any good success Catching Cats using them.
    I'm interested in details if ya got any.
    (I've Slammed the Smallmouth bass and an occasionally Walley using Crawdads.)
    thanks

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Used them alot as a kid who was too broke to buy bait and worms were not always easy to get. Waterdawgs worked great too. We would steal a piece of raw bacon and catch a mess of craws and then go fishing. Molted dads worked best. take the claws of and the fish really slaughter them.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    craws are awesome for cats, especially when they are soft after molting. only problem with them when theyre soft is everything else likes 'em too, even carp. i really dont use them that often where i do most of my fishing, but i used to fish a lot of gravel pits for channels and craws were #1 on their diet and thats what i used for bait most times. the channels would rattle if you shook them from eating so many crawfish. if i couldnt get them soft i would just smash the hard ones to release all the scent and put them on the hook.

4. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry,

I have had excellent luck catching catfish over the years on crawdads (which is what I call crayfish). Especially early (May) or late (August/September) in the year. I've found they're most effective on clay banks or around rocks. Good thing about them is that you can catch all kinds of cats on them, as they're a good bait for channels, flatheads, and blues. You very rarely catch small fish on them too. I've caught several flatheads over 20 lbs. on them, and a few nice channels and blues over 10 lbs. They stay on the hook well too. Just take the point right into the middle of the chest, through the back, and turn it out the tail. If you're after channels and blues, you're better to crush the head and let the juices ooze out into the river. This attracts more cats to the bait. The only downside is that you don't catch flatheads as much with this presentation as they generally prefer live bait. I've had times where getting minnows during the summer months was really hard, so I've used crawdads exclusively on trotlines. One August I pulled 8 channels and blues all over 6 lbs. off of a trotline baited with crawdads. So what's the downside you ask? A few things.... first crawdads are very hit and miss. There are times cats prefer them to anything else, but most of the time, minnows will outfish them. Also, and this is probably the biggest drawback. ANYTHING will hit crawdads.... anything can be good like a smallmouth or a walleye, but most often it is carp or drum. Typically, I'll catch one carp or drum to every cat I catch on a setline baited with a crawdad. But all in all, they are a VERY good catfish bait. Definitely include them in your plethora of baits!

5. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "Crawdads." If I could only have one bait it would be a crawdad. In water less than 10 feet deep they probably work as well as a live minnow and everything in the water will eat them "if they don't eat what is after them first." There are several small creeks connected to the Pomme de Terre River near me that are like creeks everywhere deeper holes and riffiles. I catch my bait in the creek I intend to fish and that way I'm not trying to figure out what the fish are going to eat. I use 4# to 8# pound line and a slip sinker just big enough to keep the bait from dragging it away and a 7' spinning rod. These are small creeks with holes sometimes six or eight feet deep and 15 or 20 feet across. The reason I fish those creeks is the crystal clear water and those little 2# or 3# channels taste great. Crawdads always produce and if they are big enough take some home, drop them in a pot of boiling water with some "shrimp spice" and have a side dish of "tails."

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Crayfish are great.A good way to use them is to wrap a rubberband around the middle of it,then instead of hooking the crayfish slip the hook betwwen the body and the rubberband with the tip of the hook up.That way the crayfish stays alive and active in the water longer then putting a hook in it.And normally the rubberband stays around the hook when the fish hit it or get hooked.Works for me.

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Crawfish may be a good bait for fiddlers but, I have never caught anything large on them. I have tried many occasions in prime waters and caught large drum perch thinking I had nice channels on. Also when fishing the bottom and using the rubber band technique, crawfish will hide on the bottom, making it harder for preditors to locate there movements.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have used crayfish, shad, and perch for catfish ever since I was a kid. My observation is that if you want mainly channel cats, a few blues, and a straggler flathead here and there...use crayfish.

We'll bait traps with bacon or beef melt...and check them everyday in order to build up a few extras in the baitwell. We'll also seine mudholes, ditches, and small creeks. I have also caught a few real nice bass and an occasional walleye while using crawfish. The soft shelled ones seem to be the best...but the hard shells work too.

If fishing in a lake...I like to keep them alive on the hook so they'll move around longer underwater. I either hook through the end of the tail or in the horn right between it's eyes. If you cast him out hooked between the eyes...let him sink...and then pull it like a plastic worm...as soon as you give it slack...the crawfish will scoot backwards with it's tail. This can sometimes trigger a reflex strike by any nearby predator fish.

If fishing a river...it really doesn't matter if they're dead or alive...the current will move them around enough to make them look alive. If it is dead...do what was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread...break it open and let the juices flow downstream. It has a chumming effect, and creates a scent trail.

9. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    We went out two weeks ago and caught a few channels.When dressing them out my friend found their stomachs were full of crawfish and little else.They are getting ready to spawn right now and it seems that they gorge on them at this time.

BILL

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    soft craws are one of my favorite channel cat baits during August. And i agree with Dink about fishing gravel pits for them. I have also done well catching Blues on them too

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Channels love the smaller ditch crickets w/ soft shells ,but they tend to stay away from the bigger ones.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Way back, before real life overtook my fishing, crawdads was all I used for channels...

I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now.

13. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    That was our #1 bait in the spring on our trotlines growing up

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You've got that backwards...the way it's supposed to be is fishing overtaking real life! Lol