Who has been crow hunting?

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by kickin_wing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wanted to know how many other crow hunters there are out there. It is one of my favorite things to do when im bored.

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've never been, but my dad said that he has ate crow when he was younger. Do people really eat crow? I can't tell if he's kidding or not.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    We go a few times a year, like ya say, get out and shoot.

Eat'm up, pigeon or quail just black, noisy and ornery, ever shoot some and have the other start dive bombing ya? LOL. Turkey call works pretty well on them too :wink:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Horned owl decoy in a stand of red cedars. Crow feathers everywhere. Used to have a pet crow. Alice was her name. Neatest, smartest bird you will ever find. After I raised her and had her for a year and a half never killed another crow. They kinda grow on ya.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I may have posted this before, can't remember. Anyway, crows ARE smart birds. I've seen 'em sit up on a power line, above the highway, and drop nuts so the vehicles would crack 'em open; then swoop down and get their rewards. I don't think I'd want to kill one.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know if you call it hunting them but i used to shoot them out of my grandfathers corn field so they wouldnt eat everything up.ornery devils.

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Shoot yea I have been. My son and our preacher are going tomorrow but I just have to go fishing:big_smile:. Our preacher has a bunch of decoys including a MOJO that flops on ground like it is hurt. Couple that with owl decoy, a bunch of different tapes and some other crows standing around and sure enough some fun. They are smart cause after you hunt a place once unless you are hunting migratory ones it will be tough to get mant to get close enough to shoot. They will come and sit in trees way out and warn the others.:angry: My dad had a pet one as well he said rode around on his shoulder.

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i enjoy shoot'n these feathery critters. my middle boy tristan has become fond of shoot'n them as well , pretty much pop a few here and there while were out rabbit hunt'n . heres a couple pic of my boy tristan .

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    sorry about that here they are .

Attached Files:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd love to shoot a bunch of crows,But our game dept. says they are a no no ,classed as predatory birds,same fine as an eagle or an owl. Stinks ,huh.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WOW! :confused2: I thought every state had a season on them.

12. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    apparently the feds regulate them and decide how may days a state can allow.:crazy: We only get Fri,Sat and Sun from June through Feb. Got to love the idiots in the federal government to decide something as destructive as crows which harm crops and many other birds and animals need this kind of protection.:sad2: Oh yea someone asked can you eat them. If you cut the breast and soak them in Dale's and wrap in bacon and grill you can't hardly tell difference from a duck if you can out the picture of them eating a dead possum on the side of the road out of your mind.:wink:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    guys if you like song birds you owe it to yourself to hunt crows.i saw a deal on arkansas outdoors that showed crows working togather to rob other birds nest of their babys.this show said that crows were the number one predator of song birds.

14. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    Ive crow hunted alot Ive got decoys and a mojo crow. The main thing is to were camo and dont move.Let them get all the way in before you shoot them.They are a very smart bird.

15. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    SR. postbeetle them some nice look'n pups you have there in your avatar ...
    german shorthairs ?

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Demetrius: Those shorthairs were two of a litter of eight. Those two were the ones I picked out, then had to narrow it to one.

The one in my right hand was the one I choose. Papered, I never took the papers. Spayed her and she became the best dog I have ever had. Her name was Helen. Trained her easily, she was a natural. She would have nothing to do with Nancy my wife, until one day when I was gone she disappeared on her own into the woods. Got into a large gopher hole in the bottom of a riveen and got stuck deep inside it. Nancy heard her crying faintly, went to find her and dug her out. After that she was Nancy's dog. I became 2nd on the totem pole. I loved that dog.

Second one I had owned. The first was a dog in Chicago. Named Duke. I will tell ya a story about him one day.

John.

17. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    man i wish i would of known ya lil longer on here , G.S.H. are my favorite !!!!
    i would of took the other 1 ...
    i've been look'n for 1 for a lil while now but no luck yet . hopefully before next
    winter i'll have 1 .

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    after you get a deer, get about 100 yards from the gut pile and shoot the crows off it with your deer rifle. i think it's a lot of fun. we also walk the plum thickets around the cottonwoods where they roost. they will fly out and circle you as long as you don't look too interested in them. i use a 12 gauge, #6 lead shot and a super full turkey choke. it will wipe them out of the sky.
    i have some buddies that do the whole decoy thing. they use one of those plastic owls you always see on top of buildings. they use a couple crow dekes and play a crow fight on an electronic caller. after they get a few down, they will put the dead ones around the owl. i haven't had a chance to go with them yet but it sounds like a lot of fun.

19. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    CROW HUNTING IS ABSOLUTLY THE MOST FUN HUNTING .

20. Shooter64

Shooter64 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have to shoot a few every year to to make up for the damage they do to my fruit trees.