Who fished the James River today?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I did chores this AM and didn't get to Deep Bottom until 9:30. Parking lot was almost full. It took four sets of the gill net to catch 16 Gizzard Shad. Off and running. I bet I saw 7 boats fishing the Deep Bottom Loop. When I got to the Eastern Tip of Jones Neck Cut Through, There were 4 boats fishing the cut though. I eased in and set up by now its noon. I tried three spots on the cut through. Nothing. Went downstream and fished a new spot for me where I saw a guide fishing two years ago and haven't seen anybody since. Before I could get my fourth rod baited I had a good pull down. New personal best.,(I think). My scales only go to 60 pounds and she bottomed out. The fish was as big as the one in my profile. That makes two I can't be sure of. Anyway. Took a picture of her on the front of the boat and turned her loose. I hate fishing by myself but my brothers couldn't go and my fishing pals are all duck hunting.

Had my fishing cut short by giving some nice guys from Barboursville a tow back to Deep Bottom Ramp. That took an Hour. What is shocking is they told me they had asked two other boats for help and were turned down. Pretty sorry, inexcusable and absolutely against the law.

Attached Files:

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    damn, awesome!!

what goes around comes around.

i say you got some good karma.

vaughn

3. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice pb and you are a true sportsman for helping someone down on there luck out.It is a shame there our so called fisherman out there that would leave someone like that.I hope when I come down next month there are more people like you out there Keneth.I had a throttle cable break on me down there once and it is not a good feeling if you don't have a kicker motor.

4. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry excuse for a human being to refuse a stranded boater. I got a little assistance a couple weeks ago .
    This guy was in a john boat with a motor that was acting a little overheating and still took the time to tow me back to Deep Bottom.
    I will go out of my way to help some one in trouble.
    Learned as a boy my Dad went all the way across the bay to Silver beach to flounder fish. No sooner than we started fishing we got a call on the VHF a guy he met only once had wrapped a rope over the prop and need a tow back.It took 4 1/2 hours to tow the larger boat across the bay.
    You never know when it' be you!!!

5. gotbait

gotbait New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice hog Kenneth!
    Not out Sat., but low tide Wed. & the net filled in 10 min. or so, problem was the fish were so sluggish, they didn't gill deep & some fell out on reteieval. Water temp was 39 but managed a 38# and a 36# near #140 marker. Six kittens 6- 18# kept the boredom at bay.

6. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    good deal kenneth. hope to be up that way soon.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Way to go on the PB, and for helping out a fellow boating. We simply do not know when we will be in the same position and need help. Is using a gill net better then using a cast nast?

8. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I keep a cast net in the boat but never use it in the winter. I love the gill net. You don't get wet and it catches fish. Perfect for an inept cast netter like me:smile2:

During the summer I will throw the net and also spring during the Hickory Shad run in downtown Richmond to catch my catfish and Striper bait if I don't feel like catching the shad on the fly rod.

9. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    What size gill net do you have, and how deep of water can you put it out in?

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Mine is 75 foot with 1.75 mesh, 3.5 streched. The net is 6 feet deep. It is a floating net so it has lead spaced along the bottom line and floats along the top. I set the net parallel with the current in 5 to 8 feet of water where I see shad breaking, mark on the fishfinder, or just whee I ususually find them. I never let it soak longer than 15 minutes, ten most times. I would rather reset it if I don't catch enough than pick 100 shad out the net which I had to do once at Deep Bottom last year. I swear it wasn't in the water more than 15 minutes. I bought mine from Memphis Net, www.memphisnet.net

Call them at 888 674-7638.

Good luck

11. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice catch! Hope to meet you on the river sometime.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good catch, Kenneth. You need heaver scales, don't you?

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Outstanding fishing report, Bro!

It looks like your puttin' the fear o' God in them catfish! :big_smile:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice blue get some bigger scales :smile2: to bad no one else would help they will need it someday !!!

15. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Wow, that is a pretty large net. Though, I suppose even a cast net can be a handfull at times.

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth....hey nice catch and congratulations. I especially like your pic of the blue and have it set as my wallpaper on the puter. I have software called webshots and I tell you that's a postcard pic...thanks for sharing.

Jerry

17. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we need more fisherman like you i could never just ride by someone stranded on the water!Congrats on that hawg!