Who Else Handgun Hunts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by H2O Mellon, Nov 13, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love hunting w/ my handguns. Who else does this? Below is a list of what I've used & what I think about each.

Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt (6 inch barrell)
    -In my opinon one of the most underrated calibers in the hunting world. You can load these to be MORE powerfull than most good hunting .44 Mag rounds. This gun I had just had too short of a barrell for me

Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag (10 1/2 inch barrell)
    -Can you say "Dirty Harry"! I loved this gun. I got one button buck with it. (didnt know it was a button buck, thought it was a doe) Shot it @ 110 yards. I know that I should not say that, as it was a stupid idea, but I thought if my dad could do it, so could I (see below). I got rid of this gun becasue 6 years ago I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods & did not find it. I was using hand loaded ammo that was really hot. I found out the rounds went straight thriugh the deer. I am ashamed of this & have learned from that lesson. Now I only use Winchester silvertip or Winchester Partian Gold for deer hunting. I blammed it on the gun for some stupid reason & sold it. I wish I had this gun back.

Smith & Wesson 686 .357 (7 1/2 inch barrell)
    -My dad took the buck in the picture below with this gun. It dropped the deer @ 110 yards away. He was using Winchester Black Talon bullets. (have since been labeled "Cop Killers" and banned.) As I said above, it's dumb to take such a shot, but what can I say, sometimes we all do dumb things. In my personal opinon & experience, I think a .357 is just too small to seriousl hunt with. It is very effective in the 40 yard mark, but I perfer a larger caliber.

-Thompson Center .45-70 Contender (est? 10 inch barrell)
    Big & Bad. This is my dads gun, I've used it & like it. If there is any downfall, it would be that it's a single shot.

Magnum Research B.F.R. .45-70 Revolver (est 9 inch barrell)
    -Not a bad way to spend $1,000, however I perfer my Ruger Superhawk to this. This thing is a 5 shot revolver, & yes it is BIG. My buddy has one. To my amazement it has less recoil that my Ruger Superredhawk. Downfall????? I dont think there is any.

And my current baby: Ruger Super Red Hawk .454 (7 3/8 inch barrell)
    -My favorite hunting handgun I've ever used. I have a 2x Burris scope sitting on it. I've shot lots of different loads from the massive 300+ grain Hornadays to lots of others, but my favorite is 260 grain Winchester Partian Gold flat nose. This round is great. If I cant find those I will use the 260 grain Partian Gold hollow point or the 240-260 grain Winchester Silvertip flatnose or hollow points. I bought this as soon as the big bad .454 came out. I can handle the recoil pretty well, but I'm a big 300# man. I will tell you that it is a handfull to shoot. I perfer the Ruger over the famous Ragging Bull .454 by Taurus. The Taurus, is a great gun, but I like Ruger's scope ring system much better, plus the Ruger is a 6 shot & the Taurus is only 5. You can also shoot the .45 Long Colt out of this gun.

I know the above description of my .454 can not do justice to how much I like it. It's just the best thing I've ever shot for deer hutning, with that being said, let me tell you what I saw, felt & fell in love with on Friday:

I spent the day (Veterns Day) w/ my dad. We did a bad thing, we went to Gander Mtn. I have been thining about getting a S&W .500 next year. Until Friday I hadn't even held one. Well I did just that on Friday. Surpringsly I was dissappointed. My Ruger .454 in my opinon, felt just as good IF NOT BETTER than the .500. BUT.... sitting right next to the .500 was a gun that was screaming to be picked up, a S&W .460. As I picked this up, it was as if time stopped & this gun wa screaming for me! As my hand wrapped around the grip, I realized that I had finally found my true love, no I was wrong years before my true love isn't my wife, it is a S&W .460 ! This was the best feeling (large caliber) handgun that I have ever felt. Words cant express it. This gun has a great sight system on it, a darn near perfect ported system on it. I am & have been one of the biggest supporters of the Ruger .454 since they came out. I bought mine right away. I love my Ruger .454 , don't get me wrong, but I WILL have a S&W .460 in the future, hopefully next year. The worker @ Gander Mtn said they all got to shoot the .460 & the .500. He said the .500 was fine, but that you could really feel the .460, in fact S&W warns to MAKE SURE your hand doesnt slip in front of the cylinder due to the massive amount of energy that is being produced, this was his statement not mine & I didnt shoot the gun, so I cant say for sure. The beauty of this gun is that it shoots .45 Colt, .454 Causul, & the .460 S&W, which is the fastest handgun cartridge. Oh yea...... the price: $989 :eek:

As soon as my batteries for my camera are charged I'll take a pic of my .454

2. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    H2O Mellon, Great post I always wanted to hunt with Blackhawk but never did. I thank you for your opinon on your guns gives me something to think about :) . I would be happy to hear any tips you have.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This isnt the best pic, but here is what the .454 looks like.

A good tip that I could give any handgun hunters is to take the same approach as bow hunting. I handgun hunt from the same setups that I use for bow season. I want my shot to be in the 40 yard range.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I hunt hog with a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag 6 inch barrel and iron sites

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Last time I hnted was when my dad was alive. he had his old 30.06 remminton 742 woodmaster. I was carring a ruger super blackhawk in 44mag. I had borowed the pistol from an uncle and dropped a 120lb 6 point at approx 75 yards.
    really enjoyed hunting with a handgun even more than with a rifle.
    (range is estimated,gettin older and can't remember exactly how far)
    Water mellon, if by chance you buy a brace of that 460, I know someone in North carolina who'd love to have one. :D
    had a 454 casual once but had to sell it. Miss that one a lot too.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    hey H2O my brother has a S&w 500. I have shot it 4 times. All I can say is that it is a impressive gun to shoot. To say the least whenn you pull the trigger youknow that you have fired something big. IMHO the recoil is monumental. There were 6 of us shooting it that day most only shot once and didnt any more of it. On my fourth shot it broke a bone in my hand. I dont think I had a good grip on it. I feel that some shooting gloves would help. the amazing thing is how accurate it was.

On the loads for deer. Have you ever tried the Hornady XTP pistol bullets. They are suppose to be one of the best bullets for hand gun hunting. Give them a look.

On the 460 S&W I am with you. They look to be a great all around hunting pistol.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bearcat, a good (cheap) idea is to buy some black Franklin Batting gloves. They help out a ton when shooting the big handguns. Get the batting gloves that have a little padding in them. They are usually $12 each but you can get them much cheaper after baseball/softball season.

Yes sir, I have tried the Hornadays. The are extremely powerfull, however It's been my experience shooting into wood blocks that they do not "mushroom" or expand as well as the Winchesters. I have two Harnadays that we shot into a 5 or 6 inch piece of wood block. Absouletely devestating, they went through but didnt expand, the Winchesters on the other hand didnt go all the way through, but they expanded just like a "Mushroom".