Who else fishes Lake Gaston?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 21, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Who else on here fishes Lake Gaston, NC? I mostly fish there, and have caught numerous trophy fish out of there.....Blue Cats, Stripers, Walleye, Well I dont like to brag ;) :D The lake is getting alot better for big Blue's now. And the Striper fishing can be unbelievable, there is some big ones in there the lake record striper is 40lb!!! My biggest striper from there so far is a 27 pounder.

So who else has fished there? Or has anyone on here fished Roanoke Lake or Kerr Lake?

good luck :)

2. fishfanatic101

fishfanatic101 New Member

Was thinking about heading to Gaston over New Years. I'm trying to figure out that Walleye secret. I'm going to ask a few questions on the Lake Gaston site you told me about. If the walleye aren't biting, the blues will be and maybe a striper or two. do you fish from a boat or from the bank and bridge. I love the area around Americamps and north a couple of miles.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, yeah check out that website it's awesome. I fish off the bank right now but fixing up the boat. I usually fish around Eaton Ferry Bridge with great results! Camped and fished at Americamps in october and had great results with the cats.....one was a 38 lb blue! Now I been fishing Eaton Ferry Bridge the last few weeks and tearin up the cats and stripers! All on the bottom with a carolina rig with big dead bait, like bream, shad, I just stick the whole bream on there with the fins cut off......stripers seem to love that!

For Walleye, try the "Humps" Between Holly Grove and Poplar Creek. And Eaton Ferry Bridge, and Pea Hill Creek Bridge. If you want live bait catch some bream on Rod/Reel, or to catch shad use a cast net and go to Lizard Creek Bridge, or Holly Grove Creek Bridge, throw your net off the side with the Street light on it.....and of the currents not going too hard through the bridge you should get a mess of 4-5 inch alewife herring's!

At Eaton Ferry I would use a worm harness for walleye bait, (if you do have any live bait that is.) Eaton Ferry will usually produce best results for walleye in the morning, and Pea Hill is great at night. Look closely and you might be able to see one at Pea Hill Creek because the light reflects off the Walleyes eye. My dad got about a 8 pounder Walleye at Eaton Ferry last winter.
    For walleye the favorite month seems to be January. If you have any questions, ask me.....dont know if I'll help any but I'll try.... ;)

Also on the other Lake Gaston site, there's a member named "Raggerune" and he is a excellent walleye fisherman. Check you Personal Messages in a few minutes, there should be some helpful info in there for you ;) \

good luck :) Let me know when your coming to the lake :)