Who eats bluegill?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by boombalaty, Jun 10, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well the 2 channels I got today were a little small for me to take home so I took 6 gills home and filleted em per Kyfisherman's instructions in the library. I gotta say them little dudes are delicious. I can see it takes some practice to do a good job and/or a serrated filet knife. If anyone here has not tried em you should. It probably would have been easier too if they were a little larger.:wink: Oh ya and I put the heads in a ziplock for bait later this week!

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Bluegills are as good of a fish to eat as anything else. Just a pain in the a$$ to clean a bunch of small ones. When I go to the farm pond and get the 10-12 inch ones, thats when I really put on the feed bag. :big_smile:

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This was my first attempt to clean one. They are very light and not fishy tasting at all. At the size I had I would have needed about 20 to make me a meal but I had to give em a try. I think I will invest in a serrated filet knife to make it easy to get through them little ribs.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Matt, I have access to a farm pond in Ottawa that has slab bluegill in there. Later this summer we'll go down and slaughter them and have a fish fry. Ill have to get Charlie Ballenger's famous Jalapeno Cheddar hushpuppy mix, and we'll get r done. :big_smile:

5. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will eat them before crappie, all the flathead aren't wrong.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You just name the date and time and I will be ready!!!!:wink: Did you get the pm with my number Keith? Just curious.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Matt,
    I caught a big mess of bluegils awhile back and filleted them. Man what a chore with 125 of them! Some dang fine eating though. Just as good as walleye, crappie or even flathead fillets. Heres a link to the thread I made about it:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112903

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats AWESOME Geoff! I wish I had bigger ones cause they were really good. I dont even really like many fish. I cant wait to get a mess of big ones and get a little better at cutting them.

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    An electric fillet knife is the best at filleting them. Don't pay extra for the one that says its a fillet knife just buy an electric kitchen knife. Can be bought at Wally World for like $15.

10. presidentwoody

presidentwoody New Member

State:
    ks
    Unless anyone talks me out of it we may try to gut and cook a few whole. Did that with small eater channel last week for first time, think it may work here without filleting those lil guys.

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was actually getting ready to ask what you guys use to cut em up. Ill have to go get one before I try that again. I lost a bit of good meat trying to get through them ribs!:sad2:

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its still difficult. I probably butchered 5 or 6 of the ones I was filleting the last time. But I ended up with a ton of meat anyway. :big_smile:

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    When I was a kid we didn't know what filleting was. We always scaled, gutted, and cut the head & fins off, then pan fried the whole thing. What meat that didn't fall of the bone was easy to nibble off. Damn tasty, but to much work for so little meat. One nice Cat or Walleye is the same as a dozen perch.:sad2:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah Matt, Ive got your #. I just fillet them with the knife Chris P. gave me. Its hard to get all the meat, so I cut behind the gill down to the spine, then along the spine to the tail, leave attached, flip fillet over, run down the skin, then cut the whole rib cage out. Just like I do crappie. I lose a little bit of meat, but it goes alot quicker this way. Id say about 20 - 10" bluegills and Ive got enough for good ole sammich !!! :smile2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    By the way Matt, where did you catch your 42# flathead ?

16. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Carey Park in Hutchinson. With an old zebco 202 and 10lb line on a worm lol.:eek:oooh:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we've heard that before !! :wink::smile2:

i got mine on a 5 ft cane pole and a grasshopper :wink::cool2:

18. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've ate them on occasion. Really good eating. i just don't get many to eat because i'm usually keeping them for bait.

Basicly use 2 cuts for each side to fillet them, 1 down the middle off the bone, then the next cut from the outside skin. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went to the Apple Market 24 hr. meat sale today and stocked up again. Got some hamburger, pork loins, spare slabs, pork butts, chicken drums, and some ribeyes. Eating the ribeye right now. YUM !!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/100_1302.jpg

Sale ends at 7 pm. All KC area Apple Market's. Better Hurry. :big_smile:

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Lively thread! I use a sharpened old Rapala fillet knife and pause to
    resharpen about every ten fish. A fine edge on a flexible knife will cut
    nicely both through and beside the bones. The point can be used for
    fine work. One problem is keeping hold of the fish. A slip can give a
    jagged cut that some blame on the knife. Pebbled gloves or a fish
    clamp of some type can keep things still for you and save your
    nerves from fraying. You're right: save the heads with as much
    of the gut that comes with it. This is prime cutbait! The rest is
    good to load into the crawdad trap for yet more bait. Bluegill is the
    doorway to better things as well as being right tasty!