Who do you think makes a better fisherman/woman?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Love Them Cats, Sep 12, 2006.

Who do you think makes a better fisherman/woman?

1. People fishing from the bank?

2. People that use a boat to fish?

3. Don't know?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    People fishing from the bank?

People that use a boat to fish?

I think the bank fishers are better?
    If you think about it, people fishing from the bank have to find ways to attract the fish to their fishing area?

People fishing from boats can move to where the fish are located?

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on this?

Ken

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    It Depends On A Lake I Would Rather Bank Fish,but As Far As The River Goes I've Had My Best Luck On A Boat

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think people who fish from a boat have a better shot, you can cover so much more water..You can get places that arent acessable from the bank, and also you can see with your fish/depth finder what the bottom that your fishing on looks like....A boat is the way to go IMO

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Bank fishing presents much more challenges, and difficulty. I think the boat fisherman/woman may catch more fish, but this does not make them better fishers. If all things are equal, and you catch as many or more fish on the bank on any given night, the bank fisherman is better by far, otherwise it is almost impossible to say.....:confused2:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It has less to do with where or what you fish from than what you as the angler learn and put into play what your learn. Some bank fishermen are as good as any, whether compared to those who fish from a boat or on the bank. They know the water, their equipment, where to go, and the best time to fish. Good boat fishermen need to know a lot also. Not only must they know their tackle, the fish, how to find them, and the waters they fish, but they must know how to handle the boat. Which is better? Neither, the better question may be which do you prefer? It doesn't pay to pit Brothers who bank fish against those who boat fish.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ya, I agree with you, Gadzooks.

I fish from shore, and I fish to eat. My friends with boats fish for fun. Many of us bound to the shore do so because we haven't, won't, or can't invest in a boat. When I can do so, then maybe I'll fish for fun, too! :big_smile:

7. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I think fishing from a boat has the advantage, as you can move from spot to spot with relitve ease.

8. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    i think people that fish from bank and boat are equally as good,, although there would be an apperant advantage to having a boat,,,, but bank fishin is the way ive been fishin since i could lift a rod,,.... my dad has a boat and occassionally we use it, but most of the time we fish from the bank..... bank fishers have the advantage in means of knowing where the fish are cause they've been fishing in their spots for quite a while, boat fishermen have the advantage of depth finders and fish detectors,,,, and chumming is more effective...... i guess each has its advantages and if i had to choose id be on the bank..............................

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

each require knowledge of that particular type of fishing. Both require skill and patience. On ewaiting while the other is locateing fish. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There are plenty of folk on this board good at both. I'm not, I'm a better boat fisherman, like to move around from spot to spot or drift. Even when I didn't have a way to get on the water, I waded or used a float tube. Plenty here, though, made their mark on the bank, then got a boat and did well. Others have moved from the boat to bank for a variety of reasons and done well. Its not so much which way you fish, but the fisherman that makes the difference.

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The best fishermen/women, to me, are people that catch the most quality fish. Also, they should take care of the surroundings(always pick up your litter and leave it better than when you got there) and catch and release what you don't plan to eat. I know some people that just keep them to show off. That's wrong to me. It is alot better for the fish and fish conservation to catch, photo, and release. Good luck to all!!

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you are a good /average / poor angler it doesn't matter if you fish from the shore, a boat or dangling from a helicopter. You are what you are.
    If I went to a new lake or river (whether using a boat or not) to fish I would be at a disadvantage to those with experience of the place. Does that make them a better angler than me? I don't think so. Does it mean they might catch more than me until I get the measure of the place? Probably.
    It depends what you mean by better. Is a person who ties bad knots or can't use a baitcasting reel and catches a lot of small fish a better or worse angler than one who ties perfect knots and can cast a mile and catches one 50 pounder?
    I very rarely go fishing without a target or a plan. If I want to catch flatheads and get a big blue then in my mind I failed in my quest. The day wasn't a waste but it doesn't mean I am a great angler because I got a big blue. It simply means I didn't get the fish I set out for. Does that make me a bad angler? Nope, it simply means I didn't get the fish I set out for.
    Do you see where I'm going with this? This is a question with no real answer...W

13. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    just depends on where your fishing

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    It depends on what part of the lake, and what lake I am fishing!

15. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't believe the quality of a fisherman has anything to do with whether or not he or she fishes from a boat or from the bank. You can find great fisherman and or complete morons in either location. I spent half of my life fishing from the bank and if I'm a better fisherman now it isn't because I now have a boat it is because I am always trying to learn more about the fish I'm after. I'd be doing that if I was still bound to the bank too.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Boat or bank has no impact on the skill of a fisherman. Preparation and execution as well as applying the knowledge that you have and aquire over time is what helps someone be successfull.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. Somebody with good bankfishing skills might be lost trying to locate fish on a boat, and vice versa.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have yet to catch a fish over 10# from the bank. I know it can be done. I have watched with my own two eyes while a guy pulled a 60# flathead in on a zebco 33 with 20# test sitting right next to me. I fish from the bank when I want to relax. I fish from a boat when I want to catch more and bigger fish. Fishing from a boat is usually more work, but both are fun. I don't think that you can categorize people that way. I know people that couldn't catch a fish no matter what though.

19. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I don't think what you fish from is the tell of a true fisherman but more so the charity in a persons heart. If your willing to share the knowledge and experience it generally comes back to you 7 fold.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I'm proud to be a Brother when I read posts like the ones in this thread. When I first read the original post, I saw a fued developing. But the majority has come through like true Brothers and put forth pretty much the idea that either method is good, neither better than the other. It shows respect for one another, whichever way we fish. Thank you guys and gals. BTW, I didn't vote.:smile2: