Who catches more fish, the Smoker or Non-smoker?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AZflats, Aug 24, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Who catches more fish? Smokers, or non-smokers? Or does it matter?

I have been told mostly by non-smokers that the smell of cigarettes will affect the bite.. Or, not just the smell of smoke, but the oils on your hands from eating and such. Well I agree that catfish, probably mostly channels and blues have to taste it before they eat it, but does it truely affect the bite????

* So far this year has been great... I have landed two of the biggest flathead I have ever seen and have had simply phenominal luck. But two months ago I quit smoking, and since then, have yet to catch any flattys with size to 'em.. And the number of hook ups is way down...

* Could there be a connection?
    Could the Marboro man's stink possibly helped me, and since I turned my back on both Phillip and Morris... Could they be scarring all the fish away???
    What are your thoughts?

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Heck with the fish. I want to know how you quit smoking. :cool2: :big_smile:

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dont take any offense, but in your avatar pic you look just like Adam Sander. Or atleast to me you do:lol:

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * My daughter asked me to..

5. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I smoke like a chimney and I cant catch big fish I need to quit for my health I think it hurts my hunting too
    they just voted in a no smoking in public places including bars and I'm a bartender I think this is gonna kill my pocketbook most of our patrons are smokers and allot claim they won't come out as much when the smoking ban is enacted I'm thinking about trying to go to school and get into web page design gotta check to see if its worth while money wise see what the need is for em and average salary's and such
    I do pretty well as a bartender because out of the 100+ bars in my town only about 10 have a 3AM liquor license and we are one of them so after 1 AM when all the other bars close we get super busy every night of the week but after this ban is enacted Sept 17 we'll see how I do

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I was a smoker for 49 years. Started as a youngster with grapevines, then up to a three pack per day person while in the military, then two packs a day once I retired. My doctor had been after me for a good 10 or 12 years to quit and I told him that if I ever got ready to quit, I'd come to him. SO, I did. He told me there are basically three ways to quit....1) by nicotine replacemtent therapy. Such as gum or the patches. 2) from side effects of medications prescribed for depression/anxiety 3) cold turkey. Told him 1 and 3 was out, so what did he suggest. He came up with #2. He put me on a pill which I was to twice a day for 10 days. Then I was to try and quit. If I failed, to continue taking the pill once a day and every 3 to 4 days I was to try and quit. Told me not to sweat it as he could and would renew the prescription as necessary. So, I did as he said. Took them for 10 days, smoked a cig in the morning, laid a pack of cigs and my lighter on the nightstand and never even had the slightest withdrawal sympton. I went back to see him for a follow-up appt at the end of the month (scheduled so he could re-new the prescription if necessary). Told him I had quit in 10 days. He asked me if I had taken all the pills and I told him nope, I quit in 10 days so I quit the pills also. HeHeHe - wasn't supposed to quit taking the pills, but I did. I would recommend this to anyone who was evern 60% sure they wanted to quit. I have made it almost 2 years now...occasionally pat my pockets looking for a pack, but am quick to laugh at myself for this. I imagine I could backslide if I wasn't aware all the time that it was me wanting to quit and not someone forcing me to quit. Luck to any other brother who tries this method.

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    he does look like Adam Sander I wonder if he has the money that Adams got if so could I get a loan till my brother straightens up (he's a hunchback)
    Trevor

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think you are letting your withdraws get to your fishing and believe me it is real easy. i think we got all these brain cells that show up after we quit smoking and it just drives us crazy. ive had good and bad luck since i quit smoking just like when i did. now when they are not biting you just dont have anything to do until they do bite. hang in there and look at all the fishing equipment you can buy with the cigarette money you are saving.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

He does....................

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    :lol: HAhahahaha:lol:
    Adam Sandler Kicks @ss.

Thanks for all the encouragment. But I think I kicked the habit for sure...
    Bring a few cigars w/me when I fish and I hardly think about it... I have smoked for about 12 years and enjoyed every minute of it.. It was just time to quite...

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I just quit cold turkey! LOL. Hey, do you think the cats like smokes? LOL. I can see those fish now, down there on the bottom, Ever see those pictures of the dogs playing poker? LOL. Guess the same goes for big cats!:roll_eyes:

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll tell ya how You will do, you will do much better, health wise.
    Your lungs will be for the better:smile2:
    How do I know this?
    I lost my mother to small cell lung cancer 4 years ago.
    It was diagnosed and 4 months later, she was gone.
    I also know she was a full time bar tender at a busy working mans bar during the day, for 25 yrs. This bar gets smokey, bad ventilation and all.
    Take a close look around and think about it:roll_eyes:
    Don't think about school, get there!
    You may not get the chance.:sad2:

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I ouit cold turkey I knew it was the only I would For as catching fish it don`t matter:smile2:

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah make that 2 of us please help

15. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    well this place never fails to amuse me, the topic is do those that smoke catch more or less fish then non smokers, but it quickly turned into a stop smoking thread...holy moley, yes I know smoking is bad for me, yes I might die a horrible slow death gasping for air but for the love of Christ can't we just get along? Ok, that said I have to say that if i need a bite all I have to do is fire up a marlboro light and there it is, most times two bites! Maybe those cats are concerned with my bad habit and know that I will throw the cig down just to hook their onery butts....lol

egg

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Probably Smoked up the cost of two Corvetts and maybe a Yogo or two in the last 40 plus years and Man I've cought a truck load of Catfish! But now that you mention it the last fue month its sorta been Slow. You don't suppose them catfish have inacted a smoking ban also and are pissed of at me cause I'm still smokin now do ya? LOL All Kidding aside Congratulations on quiting smoking Man I've tried everything with no success, Even told myself I coulden't have no BEER till I quite. And man I love a Cold Beer! Been Two Months now NO BEER and still smoking like a smokstack. The Wife suggested that I needed to give up something better and maybe it would work. So I says OK, like What? And She says like maybe Catfishing! Can't belive the crazy Old Broad said that can You? think maybe I'd better get her in to see the Shrink She must of fallen down and bumped her head or something or maybe that change of life thing. I understand they go crazier than they all ready are. LOL J.D.Straka

17. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    I think that oders not normally found on the bait that you use can effect how the fish will react to the bait. We put garlic on liver and shad in an effort to improve the bite.. and it works sometimes. As for cigarette smoke, I don't know for sure but it could cause the fish to be more timid when investigating your bait.

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    cought my personal best blue 23lb after baiting up with a cig in my mouth. Shot a nice 8pt last year after walking down to the creek smoking and put it out in the lane where he walked out.

That being said I am trying to quit myself. I have gotten down to 2-3 a day from a pack a day.

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know almost everyone in my family, older generation, smoked any where from 1-3 packs a day and caught plenty of fish. I also know that the non-smokers caught just as many. So my guess is I don't know

20. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I just quit smoking, it has been over a week now and I've only had one piece of nicotine gum in the last 24 hours. The bite is real slow right now but I have noticed I haven't caught anything since I quit. It was getting that way before I quit, though, so I don't think it matters.