Who Can Catch The RECORD??

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blue Hawg, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    I would like to see a North Alabama fisherman catch a new world-record blue. Further, I believe this fish is at Brown's Ferry and can be caught. I know several fishermen who have the capability to take such a monster, but don't seem to frequent the area for some reason or another.

Maybe it's the fact that the TN River at Brown's Ferry is ultra-treacherous. Access from the North bank (Cow Ford) requires skill. Acess from the south shore (Mallard Creek) is inconvenient for many and requires a shallow-water run. People have drowned there because the water can get so rough so quickly. It can simply be a tough place for fishermen.

Fellas, Brown's Ferry consistently produces blues in the mid-90's. With a bit more effort, I believe the big girl will take the bait.

What's it going to take for Wheeler Lake, Alabama to take and hold the world-record blue cat?

I'm thinking December-January.....whole skipjack....and lots of hot coffee.

What do y'all think???

Blue Hawg

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    How are you steve?I Think your right...wheeler has the potential to produce another world record...why don't we get together this winter and see what we can do about putting alabama back at the top...p.s. I was over there saturday and didn't have much luck...just a few small ones...have you been doing any good over that way?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will be down in that part of the country soon, perhaps I can come up with a record.

4. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    jason- i've been down on lower wheeler lately, but not Brown's Ferry.

I think this is the point that I'm trying to make.....the catfishermen (including myself) are always "on the go" preparing for tournaments all over the place, but seem to ignore the fabulous opportunity ( i think so) to harvest a sho-nuff trophy from one of the best "big fish" holes in the state.

Yeah, I'd like to net the record, but heck, I'd be right proud if you'd catch it or some of the other dedicated catters would catch it.

I'm simply calling attention to the most overlooked cattin' opportunity of which I am aware.

Oh, and by the way, I believe anyone who sets out to take such a fish oughtta exercise some foresight....there should be a plan to get the beast to the aquarium in good health as opposed to killing it due to inadequate transportation means or for excessive photo opportunities. Of course, if the fish doesn't survive, then mount it.

5. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was down on cow ford sunday and didnt have much luck at all from the bank. I caught a nice size bass about 5 lbs.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know Wheeler Lake had the record for a short time in the 90's I believe. I think all the TN River lakes have the potential to produce a record. I know I'll be hittin' the TN River for those monster blues myself this winter :big_smile:.

7. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    I will be there in October to pull out the record blue.Yall stop by and I will autograph a piece of cutbait for you!!!

8. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    hey Sultan-

Why don't you give Brown's Ferry Nuclear Plant a try?

Blue Hawg

9. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    I will pull it out of Wilson most likely.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If anyone's interested I'd like to bring my boat up there later this year and find some big blues. I've got a boat that will handle shallow, rough water no problem.... If anyone wants to plan a big blue hunting trip let me know...

11. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    Next time I head to the nuke, I'll try to remember to hit you up.