Who are ya and Where do you fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishcentral, Jan 31, 2007.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I noitce here lately in the last few months more and more new Okies are making regular posts. Since it's a new year I thought it would be nice for everyone to post what lakes or river you fish on a regular basis or even every once in a while so if anyone needed info they know who to contact or maybe even meet up to fish.

I like to fish everywhere I can but my main places I fish are:

*Upper Verdigris River above Oolagah
    *Lower Verdigris River below Oolagah Lock and Dams 17 and 18
    *Caney River above Hulah and through Bartlesville
    *Copan Lake
    *Hudson Lake(not the real Hudson but a 250 acre city lake outside of
    Bartlesville)

I also fish a few times a year

*Grand River(Chouteau Bend) Mainly for Spoonbill and Sandies
    *Skiatook Lake
    *Birch Lake
    *Bluesteam Lake and Ponca City Lake

I also drive a three state area for work and have fished below almost every corps dam in Oklahoma at one time or another. It get's lonely on the road and there's usually a few fishing poles in the back of my truck.:tounge_out: at least when the weather is nice. So Where do YOU fish inquiring minds like to know. I love to here fishing reports and it's always good to see pics. If your fishing somewhere in Oklahoma make a post where your fishing. I try to post most of the my fishing adventures because I like to hear reports and see pics from everyone else.

Take Care and Good Fishing

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, I live in Altus. Wood18 and I fish at lake Altus quite a bit, as well as the north fork of the red river. For most of our catfishing, we hit the north fork because we don't usually have to see or speak to another human being while we're there. It's nice.

I also occasionally fish Tom Steed and Fort Cobb, but not nearly as much as I fish lake Altus (Lugert). I plan to change that a little bit and fish Tom Steed and even Ellsworth more. They are both good looking cat lakes.

If anybody is ever gonna be in my neck of the woods and wants to fish Lake Altus/Lugert, give me a pm or whatever. I'll be happy to go.

Jerrod

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hey Jerrod,

Isn't Altus lake almost empty right now? I always check lake levels and I notice awhile back that Altus was like 30 feet below normal and 80% below normal pool level. Any problems with fish die offs I'm sure you can't take a boat there unless you drag it to the water.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    What is the name of that lake over in the Langley/Disney Okla area. I remember it being a pretty large lake.

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I'm thinking you're talking about Grand Lake O' The Cherokees.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    One reason I don't fish as much as I'd like to isI have very few friends who want to fish,or are able to go when I can. I fish when and where I can but most often I fish Claremore lake,lock and dam18 on the virdigris,Oologha lake/dam.I do make it over to Skiatook,Grand and Keystone lakes once in a while.I'm off most fridays, if anyone wants to do some fishing.I know I'll be fishing Keystone the beginning of June-Keystone 5 hope to see everyone there.:smile2:

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    For me its mainly Keystone and Skiatook.

This year I hope to make it to Grand, Choteau Bend, the Navigation channel, and Eufalla.

8. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    this will be my first year to fish ok since i moved back. hurt my back and just didn't feel like going. i live north of edmond. we did get to go last sept to thunderbird one weekend. had a retired boswain mate cheif fill me in on how to catch fish at little ax, so am looking forward to this summer. not a cold weather person, so winter fishing is out. did one stint of nato excersizes in north atlantic on the john f kennedy, didn't like it. will let everyone know how we did at little ax this year when we go.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yeah Chris our lake is very low. It was built for irrigation. I love to fish that lake as much, or perhaps more than anybody...... but I sure can't throw rocks at the farmers for using it what it was built for. They only got 3 waterings out of it this summer for their cotton, and dropped it to 9% of its capacity. Sucked. I think it's up a little now. I've gotta buddy who works up by the lake and he gives me the daily report on what the water looks like coming into the lake. He said it's been comin' into the lake awfully well. Last week, I think the lake came up a foot. Not too darn shabby.

Yes, the lake does have some serious problems with getting pulled down every year, but the only people who really squeal bad are the jet-skiers and the bass fishermen. The rest of us can go out and do what we do and catch fish. Kinda makes for a captive audience. The bass dont' do well because their little baby bucket mouths don't have any place to hide from the predator fish. With the enormous fluctuation in the lake level, there isn't much natural aquatic vegetation that stays in the lake, so therefore no spots for the bassies to hide. The jet skiers can't do much when it's low, because they're not careful enough to watch out for old foundations and rocks and such out in the water.

The main boat ramp was extended quite a ways last summer, since you could walk 150 yards on dry sand to the water. You could still put in a boat anyway, you just had to back down the beach in a 4WD pickup. It wasn't that big of deal... if you wanted to put a boat in, it was fine you just had to be careful.

Anyway, pray for rain. If we get a couple of good rains, this lake will fill right back up. The last time it was coming over the spillwater was '01. It was a fine fine spring to catch fish, believe me.

Jerrod

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I've been fishing Waurika mostly, Thunderbird a little and now that I have a sonar unit will venture out out on the city lakes around Duncan, Fuqua looks like good one.
    Mark

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I live on and fish Eufaula.

According to the ODWC, Eufaula has a very slow growth rate for blues, which are the predominant species of cat, and the trotliners and jugliners hit it pretty hard for most of the year. It's a double whammy.:sad2:

I don't catch many over 5#, or so.

12. dobbie

dobbie Member

I live 6 miles from Twin Bridges on Grand lake.We fish the Neosho river most of the time.We also make 3 or 4 5 day trips each year.Most of the trips are on the Verdigris river or Caney river on Hulah.We also fished on Keystone last year at the gathering.

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I live just a few hundred yards north of Edmond. I mainly fish Arcadia, that is when I get a chance. I enjoy Liberty but haven't been there in too long. We make a trip down to Texoma usually once or twice a year. That is a fun place but you really need a boat to find the fish. We stay at a place where we can rent one pretty cheap. I just need to take a couple of irons out of the fire and make more room for fishing!

14. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Kaw Lake at Ponca is my favorite place to fish. If I have the time I would rather take the 1 hr + and drive there, than fish the local water in Okla. City. On the lake side you have blues, flats, good crappie, and sandies.

Below the dam blues, flats, small channel-(good pan size), striper, walleye, sandies, and for me the best spoonbill snagging I have ever done. (if their running water)

If I can't get to Kaw, its city lakes here around OKC, Ive been fishin them for 30 years and caught my share of good fish. Good Lord willin' I'll be fishin them for 30 more.

15. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I grew up on Fort Gibson Lake and it's my primary place to fish. Primary? Okay, it's the place I fish 99.99% of the time.

My family has lived here since before the dam was built creating the lake. When in a boat as a kid family members would tell me who's property lay beneath the boat and what structure wasn't removed by the Corp of Engineers before the lake filled with water.

I've been fortunate to fish some amazing places for a variety of species across the U.S. but "there's no place like home." I guess that applies to whoever you are and wherever you call home!

The key to having fun away from your home water is having someone who knows this new water to share their knowledge. That's a major benefit of the BOC. No matter what new water you want to try, the odds are there is a BOC member local to that water who is ready and willing to share information.

16. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I live here in Blackwell so I don't need to go far I do most of my fishing in the Chikaski and Salt Fork but for the big blues I drive 30 min. east to Kaw lake

17. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    I live in Norman and fish Thunderbird mostly.I also like to fish Hefner,Draper and Konawa as much as I can.I have family that lives on Keystone so I get to fiah there five or six times a year.

18. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Well,I live about 10 minutes from Keystone so you can probably guess where I do most of my fishing.I do like to fish Fort Gibson,Oolagah and a few other places but there is plenty of big fish in Keystone for me.Just need to get the weather to clear up and warm up.

19. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    One summer during the early 80's, I spent a couple months with my mom on Grand Lake of the Cherokees. Her house was on the bluff above rainbow cave. There was not a day go by that entire summer, that I didn't climb down the bluffs, and fish for the cats or white perch. Sure was weird, standing on the ledge just above the water and fishing straight down 60 feet and catchin' fish. I got some great memories of that summer.

20. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I live south of Tahlequah and fish Tenkiller lake mainly. Also fish below Ft. Gibson dam and the Arkansas river at Three Forks Harbor.