Who all still hunts out of a lawn chair?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Welder, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still enjoy hunting out of a lawn chair with a tripod cut from 3 willow saplings and a lil trotline cord and impromtu blinds like blow down trees. Or a few close small ceder trees ect. I was just wondering if any in this age of deer stands and tent blinds, still hunt on the ground old school sitting like a stone. I hunt out of stands but somtimes I like to just move around or hunt areas from a dif angle due to wind. One spot is a corner in a grain feild in a creek bottom full of brush, no trees big enough to set a stand. I have killed 4 deer there over the years from a lil patch of brush and ye ol lawn chair and shooting tripod set up. Yea yea laugh about the tripod but a good steady rest like that means no tracking deer for me lol.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I mostly use a tent blind with a camp folding chair inside....Guess I am getting where I like to be comfortable.:wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use one of those chair that fold up and you put in a bag. Its light and has a strap to put over your shoulder. I have a chair blind and a pop up blind I use in certain areas.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The last few years i hunted this is what I used. Those fold ups are convenient.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I got a chair blind for Christmas last year, & I love it. I used it a few times this past week while we were at deer camp. Really convenient, easy to set up, & easy to carry! (Yeah, I'm all about comfort, too!)

6. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I shot my doe from setting on the grown against a downed tree. In my blind I use a fold out chair

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im nto a big hunter but my dad is...and he usually finds a spot and buries in..every once and a while he will take a chair

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I hunt out of a lawn chair quite a bit, sometimes in a ground blind or a box sand and other times just the chair. The biggest advantage the chair has over a tree stand is the fall is shorter, important as I get older.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's why my wife got me an API ground blind; the fall is shorter. Last year I rattled in a nice buck that came in so fast I didn't have time to grab my gun. He was literally 3 feet away, and we stared at each other through the window, until I made a grab for my Muzzle Loader. He disappeared like a cloud of smoke!

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    had em all but stick they head in the tent blind or sniff me from 10 to 2 ft away in a lawn chair mainley does and lil bucks but man what a rush , lol.:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have considered it, and even took a folding camp stool but didn't use it. I try to keep weight to a minimum, cause its a long drag out of the woods, the last 1/4 mile is up hill. I usually find a log to sit on or a rock, sometimes I sit in a blowdown or bunch of blown down logs piled up. sometimes just go into a bog 30 feet and wait for em to walk by on the edge. Where I hunt there are a bunch of old stands that people have built and left there, I also take a ladder stand to watch the trails close to the road. I like to sit for an hour or so then walk around slowly. I try to find scrapes, rubs and trails, there are some that they keep using year after year. some areas have good visibility, some don't.

12. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hunt out of a small folding chair made for hunting while during gun season. Mine is small enough that I can strap it to my back like a book bag to carry with me. Bow season, I'm in a tree.

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I sit in a folding camping chair. I used to just sit on the ground but I can sit way longer and way quieter in a chair up of the cold/wet/rock poking me in the back ground. I have had deer come within about 10 feet of me as long as I sit still.

14. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Sorry folks, I live in middle Ga. Last deer I shot, 5 point white tail,:embarassed: off my back porch. Don't tell.

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    :smile2::smile2::cool2:

One of the best hunting spots I had was from the deck of house that belonged to the father of one of my ex-girlfriends. I looked out of probably 50 acres of hillsides. We took a few off of the deck, along with tons of crows, starlings, and a few coyotes.

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    This is my first year deer hunting. I bought a bow a few months back and decided I wanted to get my first deer. I thought if I could kill a deer with a bow, I've earned it. I didn't see much sport in a bagging a deer with a slug from a hundred yards. (that is until I've spent the last month and a half not getting a shot with a bow :smile2::smile2:) Anyways, until about a week ago, all my hunts have been in a tree stand.
    Well, one afternoon last week, I didn't have my climber with me and got off work a bit early. Grabbed a lawn chair out of my truck and headed to the woods. Well after about 45 minutes I had my first ( and very nice, not what I was expecting) buck head right for me. He was at least 8 points, and I wouldn't doubt there was an extra point or two to be on there!! ( a great deer for a newbie who hasn't seen, or even believed he'd see a buck)
    Anyways, he made it to about 10 feet of me...... and 2 steps short of my cleared shooting lane. We were nose to nose. Adrenaline rush like I havent had since I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane years ago. :smile2:
    He stared at me as I held the bow at full draw for what seemed like eternity. That is until my draw arm finally gave and a I flinched. :roll_eyes::embarassed: That was it... He snorted at me and ran in a zig zag line until I dropped the bow thinking I wouldn't get a shot on him...... And then he stopped broadside about 30 yards from me. Stared at me for about 30 seconds before he snorted again and was gone.
    Most would consider it a loss, but for a newbie, I considered it a win... I GOT CLOSE TO A NICE BUCK!!!!!
    With that as my first experience from a lawn chair..... I haven't exactly ruled it out!! :smile2::tounge_out:
    From my wealth of knowledge I've gained from my whopping month and a half (no deer to show for it) experience.... :roll_eyes: I've really learned how vital wind direction is on seeing deer. From a stand, or especially a lawn chair. :wink::tounge_out:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I hunt a lot from a folding chair. I always keep a roll of the camo burlap with me to build a make shift portable blind out of. I have killed many deer this way and see no need to fix what's not broken.:wink:

18. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    The first deer I kiiled I was sitting on the ground in a clump of oak saplings and bramble, It was a small cow horn. I hunt mainly on the ground spot hunting and stalking. I have only taken i believe 2 deer from stands. I hunt on land that is almost completely planted in 13 year old pines with deer trails that just run all over the place. Just a ton of fun hunting that way. I cant hardly stand sitting for hours in one place. I usually carry one of the camo fold up chairs that I can sling over my shoulder or sit right on the ground in natural cover.

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have to repair my chair blind. Was setting in it the other day and a squirrel jumped out of a tree onto the top of it. Bent the chair and torn a hole in the fabric. Had to go to the house. Its funny now, but not then.

20. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    why is she ex ?:crazy: oh never mind.!:embarassed: