Who All Bird Hunt's...

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by Hawk33, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just got into the upland hunting last season pretty seriously. Sure I've downed a few grouse while squirrel hunting, but fortunately I got hooked this past fall.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the bird hunter's on the B.O.C and would also like to see some pic's and a story !!!

HAWK :big_smile:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey ,John,I hunt quail,dove ,Turkey,and Geese. I'm also a backyard grackle and starling shooter with my pellet gun.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hunt quail, pheasant, doves, ducks, geese, turkeys. i used to hunt chukars, huns and grouse when i lived in utah. love bird hunting, all types. in the summer here i kill the heck out of the collared doves as well.

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i love to wing hunt ... do it all mostly except water fowl.nevr really got into it
    got my 12 yr old into wing hunt'n the end of 07 yr ,he really enjoyed it....
    now where just sitt'n back waitn for turkey ......

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What kinda shotguns' do you all carry afield ???

I used an ole Fox Double 16 gauge for a while then decided to buy a new double of choice !!

Ended up buying a CZ Bobwhite 20 gauge and I seem to shoot this weapon well... Me and the Ole Lady went to shot some skeet a few weeks back and I was busting them left and right !

HAWK :big_smile:

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i shoot a rem 1100 mag 12 gauge semi full choke.
    a old Nehaven ( Mossberg ) pump 12 gaude modified choke.
    my 12 yr old shoots a 410 mossberg pump full choke .
    my 17 yr old shoots a old mossberg 12 gauge pump 2 3/4 only , modified choke.
    hopeing to get a couple new ones this yr for my boys , look'n at gett'n a 20G,and a 12 G .

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most times I use my old Ithica mod37 12 ga,but I also use my browning auto 5,20 and my mossberg maveric pump 20 on doves,and if I want a little more challenge on doves ,I drag out my mossberg pump 410,I can get my limit on doves once in a while with it if I choose my shots and dont get crazy with the 410.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    went out yesterday to the canadian river below boy's ranch, north of amarillo. weather was supposed to be nice and in the 50's, but it blew like hell, and rained and snowed on us. the birds were holed up pretty good. saw four pheasants, but the season is closed. they were all roosters too! ended up getting a few quail, but we had to work our tails off for them. festus did a good job in keeping busy and finding them. he makes all the difference for me, i can't believe i ever hunted without a dog. i love watching him work. he doesn't seem to mind the weather when we are hunting. got behind this rock ledge to buck the wind for a picture, haha. this shotgun is a rem 870 mag with a hogue overmolded stock and forend. i just put it on a couple days ago, and now there is no recoil. i will have to get used to that. i also shoot a 500A 12 gauge, a mossy 88 12 gauge, and a win 1300 ranger deluxe in 20 gauge.

Attached Files:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I used to bird hunt but gave up. Here in PA its hard. budget cuts had halved the # of stocked birds and I dont have a dog or a hunting partner. We've got to many stocking truck chasers so by the time I can go out, they've all either been harvested or pushed onto private land. Its' not worth me going out and I dont have the $$ to go to a pay to hunt place.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey scott do yall have any big tracts of land that are public? there's got to be some native birds around somewhere if you do. i would be happy to mail you some wings next season so you can get a hunting dog going. i usually keep quail, pheasant, and duck wings in the freezer vacuum packed for training but don't have any right now. let me know. dogs are not easy to train, but not at all impossible. don't give up because the stocked birds are spooky from the get go, from what i hear!

11. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    man massa you still hunt'n birds.... you lucky guy ,:big_smile: we only have rabbit and coyote open . everything closes at the end of the month except coyotes.
    nice pic thanx's for share'n.......

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah man! the way work went this year i didn't have time to hunt birds till these last couple of weeks. during deer season i have to put meat in the freezer, so birds take a back seat to that of course. during deer season i saw loads of quail, but i also saw loads of folks hunting quail! all we have left is the snow goose conservation order till the end of march, but i won't be able to get in on that.

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i love to go pheasant hunting im gonna try turkey for the first time this spring and also i carry a centurion over and under 20ga

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I finally gave up on bird huntin. I never could seem to throw the dog high enough!:wink:

15. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I hunt ducks and geese, turkeys and grouse. Thats about all that is close to home. Sometimes I slip away to hunt quail, but thats several hours drive.

16. cj5springbranch

cj5springbranch New Member

State:
    Texas
    "Doves Doves Doves"!!!!! Gotta love them, 60 mph diving twisting turning nothing like it.

17. grouse & britt

grouse & britt New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I just might do a lil:smile2::smile2: grouse, woodcock & phesant for me
    these days its more about the dogs & back in the day we did , some jump shooten woodies , dekes for duck & goose & waisted lots of shells on morning dove G&B table training 015.jpg G&B table training 023.jpg