Whitewater near Brookville

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey any of you guys ever do any good fishing the whitewater say below Brookville Lake? I have floated it for smallies and it looks very promising for flatheads, anyone ever do any good there or not? What about channels?

Thanks,
    Salmonid

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know the lower end of it is a hotspot for wipers/white bass, and knew a guy who said he had a flat hole some ways upstream but i never did investigate.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll try to check into it for you today, Salmonid...I'll check with the DNR fish head for that District & let you know if its worth a try.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Salmonid:

Still no word from the D5 biologist. I'll keep bugging him!

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the followup, I live West of Dayton so Im right at 1 hr from there and like I said, it should hold some decent fish but wanted to confirm with someone before I put to much effort into seeing if it was worth the time. Thanks for your help

Salmonid

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Salmonid,

The D5 biologist said that he did a survey on the Whitewater this summer. They apparently sampled from the dam downstream to Brookville (town) and downstream farther near the OH-IN state line (river mile 8). They also sampled up the west fork of the Whitewater someplace close to Muncie. He said the mainstem of the river is one of the highest gradient streams in IN and that stretch from the dam to town is pretty steep and has very swift water. They didn’t see but a couple channels in that section…but as he said, that doesn’t mean they’re not there. They picked more channels & a flattie or two down near the state line. From what he say, he really wouldn’t recommend those sights for catfishing (particularly from the dam to down). But he said it would make a great float trip in a canoe.

Now, he did say that if you don’t mind feeling like you’re fishing in an aquarium, he has seem massive piles of channels stacked-up right below the base of the dam. For instance, last winter the dam was shut down for inspection or repair & he went in to salvage fish from the spill basin. He said he couldn’t believe the numbers of channels piled in there. Additionally, he said the reservoir itself is loaded with channels & that would probably be where he would start fishing.

Let us know what happens! Sounds like a winter trip might be worth a try for channels below the dam.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmmmmmm.......:D

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    hmmmmmm...... Sounds like the perfect place for a guy who calls himself dinkbuster :D

Have fun & make sure you let me know!

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Actually Im tied in real tight to the Tailwater Trout fishery there. My group helped implement and start the trout fishing there ( Trout Unlimited) so I have the survey they did 2 years ago below the dam, and yes there were hundreds of channels under the dam in teh tailing pool and what he didnt tell you was that when they lowered that pool, all those channels were loaded up into trucks and taken back above the dam and dumped into the lake. Most of those fish were less then 4 lbs and most were Dinks at 1-2 lbs.
    I fish the coldwater releases over there year round ( minus the closed trout season) and have seen a few channels taken but not many.

I was interested in the lower stretches from Brookville to the Ohio, but it sounds like it was only fair at best. Im sure to fish it once or twice this year as I guide for trout and smallies on the Whitewater so Ill be sure to bring a cat rod or two and see whats over there.
    Thanks for the reply, Ill PM you the survey results from the lower east fork if I can locate it.

Salmonid

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nah, its a little far for me to drive just for channels, but you read my mind though:D

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    am i thinking about a different Whitewater? the Whitewater i know dumps into the Great Miami in ohio, not the Ohio river.

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think you might be, Dink. This Whitewater comes out of the Brookville Reservoir just north of Brookville, IN in east-central Indiana. The Whitewater flows south ~parallel to the IN-OH state line and then crosses into Ohio at aobut river mile 8, then flows into the Ohio.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same one i'm thinkin of. it comes into ohio a few miles above the ohio river. that is a small river but swift! i'd love to canoe down it sometime.