White ugly sticks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok here goes decided to purchase a ugly cat rod , now just out of curiosity what is the differance between the black uglies and the white ones do they make the white ones with heavier duty components for them to throw their casting weights of 1-3 oz. i couldnt tell by holding the classic 7 ft. casting rod as opposed to the ugly cat side by side . line ratings on the cat are hevier also is their that much of a differance as far as fish handling ability ? that also brings another question to mind for those of you that use these rods for fast current/flathead fishing where more than 3oz. may be needed plus your bull head or sun fish bait do these rods handle it or do you use a different set up in these instances ? My ugly cat will be used for channel cats and maybe some other fresh water giants of the north country carp , sheep head since they seem to like my lines the past couple of years and occasional live or dead bait pike fishing . but was wondering how these rods pulled and handled various other whisker fish duties . Considering the 8 ft. model only if i can handle one first . It will replace my medium power Big cat rod that i have my doubts about now , and be mated to my penn 210 with 25 # mono since i just spooled it up a couple days ago . plaese all comments wil be appreciated and thanks again in advance.

2. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I use the white ugly stick catfish rods in 7 ft . I have the casting and spinning versions. As for the difference, I think the black classic rods are a general category rod where the "catfish" rod is more species specific. They are good rods for any large fish. They have a real slow taper so they load up from the tip all the way to the handle. I've never tried to throw real heavy rigs yet but I expect that it will handle up to 5 or 6 oz just fine. Also, with the rod being white, it makes it a lot easier to see at night. These are just my opinions and I hope you find them useful.

Joe

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I love the ugly cats. you can see them in low light conditions really well.
    As far as being for channel cat duty. They'll handle any catfish you hook into.
    I've never broke one and tried to break them a few times when hung on stumps. You cant beat them for a 30 dollar rod .
    Those are my heavy rods. I'll fish for the channels and eaters with with some nice bass gear usually.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    white ugly one of the best buys for money, have landed 43 lb Blue on a 8 foot , 2 peice, I do like a one piece rod best, never lost a eye from a ugly stick. very tough rod, have more expenser rod but sure would be ashamed, to put the up agnist them .
    JIM

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Those of you that have spoken up i definately do appreciate hearing from you . But with all the post and threads discussing these rods i must admit i expected to here from a lot more members . My question was not if the ugly sticks were capable i know they are i have a tiger rod that has seen its share of salt water duty on the Gulf of mexico before i came north . (bad move for the sportsman in me ) But how these particular models faired under the conditions in question . ie... fast water when heavier wieght is needed or using live bull head for flatties . just curios

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where do they sell the White ones? i love ugly sticks, but i fish with nothing but white rods. (I fish in low light a lot) i didnt know ugly sticks made a white rod. i'd like to find a local place to buy one and try it out. walmart? dicks?

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Around here you can buy them at dicks , walmart , gander mt. , just about anywhere they are easy to find .

8. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    they have a tighter action at the tip than a tiger rod, meaning the whole rod bends a bit more than a tiger.
    wheh a good fish shakes it's head the ugly cat (white) isn't as forgiving as the tiger (brown) is. mono line will make the difference negligable. but you really need to consider how heavy a rod you feel like holing all day.

Eric B

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have no problems casting four to six oz weights with mine. And i love being able to see it better at night than the rest of my rods. Other than my ultra lights, that is the rod ill be buyin from now on:sure:

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Yesterday, I was fishing in the Ohio river, at the head of a 60' hole, in heavy current. I was tight lining with, with a three way rig, using 7 oz..I got a bite, picked up the rod, felt the fish moving, and set the hook. To my surprise, my Ugly stick broke in half. I was able to land the 14 lb blue cat, due to a very good hook set. The rod was an 8' white, 2 piece, MH Ugly stick. I really like these rods, I have 3 more. This was the first time this happened to me. This has caused me to consider another choice of rod.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sorry bout you luck dave , i have 4 7' ugly stick mh 1 peice rods i was fixin to unload at a good price iv never had a problem with them and pulled in several large fish including a 50+ flathead and 65 blue cat with they seem worthy of a good home im swithing to heavy action rods and start fishing with bigger line hooks weights bait and reels theres a state record fish out there with my name on it if you want my rods pm me we can work somethin out

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I was with Dave Saturday when he broke his rod. I have four of the white uglies and have never had a problem. I am not sure but I think that particular rod might have had issues, but he did double hand set the hook. lol For the money you still can't beat them. And I rarely use anything other than a 5 ounce banksinker on mine. I do have to say that all my uglies are one piece. Vern

13. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I am sure that I exceeded the limitations of the rod. When we are fishing in those conditions, I'm going to need a stronger rod. Maybe a tiger?

14. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Dave,
    Take a look at a SURGE rod, you might be impressed.:smile2:

15. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    David, might I ask as to where the break occurred on the rod?

16. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    It was a spinning rod. It broke on the bottom piece, midway between the first, large guide and where the top piece slides on. I had a Penn Captiva CV 8000 mounted on it, with 25 lb. Trilene Big game mono. Obviously a bit much for this rod.

17. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If I'm reading your post right, it looks like it broke at or very near the connection of the two rod pieces. I don't want to say that the ugly stick rods are unbreakable, but I try to stay away from two piece rods if I can. How did it break? Did it snap in half bellow where the top piece slides in or did it split at the connection?

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jamison, Dave's rod broke about where the bottom of the top piece would have been down in the lower piece. Funny thing was it just squashed it there and didn't really seperate in two. It looked like he was fishing with a normal rod that had a 90 degree bend just above the bottom eye. lol I guess maybe we should have took a picture of it. Vern

19. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Vernon. That cleared things up. Might I ask what's going to happen to the rod? Is it still under warranty? You guys going to let Shakespeare hear about it?

20. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I'm going to throw the broken part in the garbage, save the top part of the rod and buy a heavier rod.