White River - Where did the flathead catfish go?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catstalker32, Jul 11, 2006.

1. catstalker32

catstalker32 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I made it out to white river again last night. I had one good run about 7:30pm and that was it. I was only fishing for flathead. In saying this I am confused about where the flathead have moved to or why. This hole 4 years ago was the best cat fishing spot on white river that I have ever fished plus some. You could catch 4 flatties 40-50 12-18" channels at any time of the day. I stopped fishing for cats hard and moved to crappie plus got out of college and dreadful work started. :sad2: There is lots of structure plus food, but where did they go? I know by the trash and markings several people have discover this spot. Could this be the reason? I know there is a monster there just has to be. Any tricks for heavily fished areas?

Thanks and good fishing to all.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Michael, being fished out is a possiblity. Not all brothers practice CPR and when that happens a hole can be depleated pretty fast.

Spawn could also be another factor right now, I think they are on spawn in Ohio, so just give it some time and try again in a couple months.

Good luck on the water brother.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree with Tea, It may just be the time of year.. I'd fish it more to see if it produces..

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your not the only one, so don't feel left out! I have yet to hook a White River flathead this year myself, plenty of nice channels out of my fave holes, but no big flatties. My best advice is to just keep fishing for them and eventually you'll get one, from my experience fishing the White River, I rarely run into anybody fishing for flatheads, a lot of people fishing for channels, but not too many for flatheads.

5. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am still in pursuit of my first flathead this year. That's all I been fishing for, too. I hope this weekend I'll break the ice. I just figured that they were on the spawn the last few weeks.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    IT has been a very poor year for the flats. I haven't fond one between INdy and freedom in the white river. really disapointed so far. Last tear i did better in feeder creeks. This year i keep catching drum and turtles.

7. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I have probably caught around 25 flats this year on the White River...mostly between Waverly and Spencer..nothing large, but a few over 25 lbs...but they have been on spawn the last few weeks. I predict this weekend will be a hellfire weekend for them with the rain and the end of the spawn...Get out brothers if you can. I have a carp tourney Saturday at Patoka, but will probably stay there Saturday night and fish for flats from the causeway. Good luck all.

8. catstalker32

catstalker32 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brothers,
    I made it out last night with two friends. We had 7 flathead poles covering about every different area we could think of and two channel poles. We had one hit on channel pole and one turtle. With the front that moved in and the river, raising slowly over the day I for sure thought we would land at least several channels. It was a very slow night. They have to be spawning in this area just have to be. Has not been this slow ever!!!! Scooter sounds as if you have really found them compared to all the other reports I have seen congratulations keep up the good fishing. I will take your advice and try it one more time this weekend. If it is as slow as last night I might have to take week or so off and do my “honey-do-list” lol…….. Good fishing to all