White River - Mississippi River Confluence

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by 8898dan, May 4, 2006.

1. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Mississippi brothers,
    I was wandering how many of you have fished where the White River hits the Miss. or where the Arkansas River hits the mississippi. Did yall like it? How did it compare to other stretches of the Mississippi? How did you access it? I have made one trip to the mouth of the White River on the Mississippi. We caught a lot of nice fish, but we put in at Lock and Dam #1 on the White River which was the closest access I could find and it was 10 miles from the Mississippi. I definitely want to go back, but I'm thinking some of you guys might know an easier way to get there. Also, any info on the Ark.-Miss. confluence would be appreciated. I was wandering if it was as good as the White-Miss and also how would be the best way to access it. I live in Arkansas and don't have any good Mississipi state maps that show boat ramps, but Im hoping there are ramps somewhere on the Mississippi side down there. Thanks.

2. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Hi Dan,
    I've fished the area a few times, without actually fishing the confluences of those rivers. I put in at Rosedale, MS (Log Loader Chute). I think there is a landing at Terrene (just north of Rosedale). If you're coming from Arkansas, Wild Goose Landing (10 miles up the White) is probably the shortest route.

I enjoy fishing up there. I've caught 1 fish each time I went, and they were all small blues. I find it no different, really, from the other stretches of river I've fished. There's deep and shallow water. There's strong and slack currents. There are rock dikes and rock banks, plus sand and bluffs. It's pretty much the "same" as Greenville, Tunica, Memphis, and Mayersville, which are the other places I've fished on the river.

Be careful going downstream!

3. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What do you mean about being careful going down stream?

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    he means that if u have motor trouble u can't float back to your truck .... just a piece of advice he was offering ...... and good advice too .....

5. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Exactly. Better to go downstream with another boat, just in case something goes wrong with an outboard, which happens from time to time. :roll_eyes:

6. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Very good advice indeed. Must have had a brain fart. What size boats do you guys use on the Mississippi? Ive only been on it that one time in a 16 ft flatbottom with 25 hp motor. A lot of people around here(central Ark.) tell me Im insane. I seemed to do fine as long as long as i steered clear of the barge wake. Of course the miss. was down somewhat i beleive ( about 120' at Montgomery Point Lock and Dam). Anyways I was wondering is that too little boat for that much river or am I safe as long as I exercise caution?

7. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Dan,

You should be safe as long as you exercise some caution. My old boat was a 16 ft flat bottom. Just follow some simple rules, and you should be just as okay as the rest of us:
    1) If the wind is blowing more than 10 miles an hour from the south, be very careful, as the wind driven swell on long stretches of north-south river WILL be large.
    2) Run about 50 to 100 yards off the buoy line while traveling in waters you don't know.
    a) If in water you DO know, keep an eye on the buoys. If one looks like it's missing, move as far away from it as you can... it could be under water at the moment, and I've seen one pop up from below before. Let's just not imagine the damage it would do to an aluminum boat!
    3) Go upstream, when possible, from the truck, or go with 2 boats.
    4) Keep an eye on, and give plenty of lee-way for the tow-boats. They're working for a living, they have the right-of-way, and with the river a little high, they'll be out of the channel in spots, shaving a little bit of fuel off the bottom-line.
    5) When crossing the river, ensure you're not crossing in front of a south bound tow. He's moving faster than he looks, and may not be able to stop if you have engine troubles. NEVER see how much fun it is to cross right behind a northbound!
    6) Keep an eye out for weather.
    7) Make sure someone knows where you are, and you're plan.
    8) Remember to have fun!

Good luck. Let some of us know when you're going. We might be able to meet ya!

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Reb, tell him about how to fix his anchor line and keeping a knife handy in case he needs to "cut loose". He also needs to know about anchors and life vest. You guys that fish that river so much just know from experience how to set up and what to watch for. Those of us that don't fish it but would like to are a little cautious because of what we don't know about how to set up our boats and what type of equipment we need to be safe. Fill us in if you don't mind.

I have a 16' flatbottom with a 35hp motor. I feel safe in the boat and I know it will handle the river as long as I do my part to equip it properly and know what to watch for. I'm only a couple hours away from Osceola and Memphis.