White River Indianapolis

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Jroc777, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I fished the White River downtown today from about 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. I caught a couple of small channel cats on cut bait. I had a great bite near a brush pile that broke 30 lb. spiderwire. Fishing finally slowed down the last couple hours so I called it a day.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a better bite than i'v been given latly.

3. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    Hey Jroc777,

Where downtown were you fishing? In a boat or on the bank? I was thinking about getting out this weekend.

4. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I was fishing from the bank down by white river pkwy. Down by the spillway and the railroad bridge.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Is the white river safe to keep cats from? I have heard it is rather polluted.
    Bill:confused:

6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    The White River is polluted and you should not keep fish that you catch from there. I know some people that do anyway but I wouldn't personally. It is on the list of contaminated streams in Indiana.

7. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    Thanks jroc777,

Haven't fished there in years. I quit fishing the river after the fish kill in 1999.
    I was wondering if it has got back to the way it used to be.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I haven't fished there yet this year but last year I had a few sessions. There are some good fish to be had, both flats and channels. The worse aspect of it is that it is so depressing to be surrounded by all the crap and rubbish. Much of it comes down the river but many people who fish there - I won't call them anglers- just leave their trash where it falls. Tackle packaging, line, styrofoam bait pots, beer bottles, Mc D's and KFC wrappers, all kinds of stuff. You should DEFINATELY not eat the fish from there. The place often smells like a sewer and at times has a thick nasty scum on top. Apart from that it's great:) Seriously, if you can get past the surroundings the fishing is pretty good...W

9. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    I know that feeling:crying: I live across the street from Fall Creek and I know that smell very well!!!!!!

10. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    we will have to get together when it warms up.. i haven't fished the white river in a while... had some luck on eagle creek last year.

11. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hey Mr. Catfish, what's goin on? Yah, we are all going to have to get together in the Spring time and do some fishin! I'll let you guys know when and where. Are you guys down? I like the smell of the White River :) . I can't wait till I can smell it again.:rolleyes: I long for the smell. Okay, I've taken it to far. Let me know if you guys are interested in a gathering in the Spring.:cool:

12. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    The White River is polluted and there is a lot of trash but it is still a great place to fish. Just don't go there if you want to get some fish to eat. I caught a 46 lb. flathead out of there last year and caught several other nice fish as well. Hopefully this year will be better and bring some big fish. I'm ready for a spring gathering. Just let me know where its going to be and I'll be there.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent fished the white in indy for years. it was a great local then though. i fished the white down around seamore this last summer and it sucked bass. its a wonder there are any fish left down that way. trot lines were all over the place! sad to see such rapage.:sad:

14. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    Has anybody fished the canal lately?

15. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I haven't fished the canals but I have heard reports of big carp being caught. No word on any catfish.

16. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Big carp? I caught a 23 lber there last week....here is a pic: carp20.jpg

17. catfishin_fiend

catfishin_fiend New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah,, White River was awesome last year.. My brother and I caught lots of decent size channels last year.. If you can find a good spillway with semi deep water than white river is awesome.. I've found that structure is the key.. Anyone know of any good river spots around Indy?? SOUTHSIDE or NORTHSIDE of INDY??

18. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    couple friends and i are wanting to fish the white this year...don't want any secret spots but would appreciate any help in finding a decent spot for flats and channels...may bring a boat or just bank fish.