White river in Idiana - catfish with eggs in March!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by rairdog, Apr 1, 2006.

1. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Wasssup all, had a great two days of fishing Thur nite and Fri nite. Thur got 2 sauger (one with eggs) and 5 channels (3-5lbs). Fri got 9 channels 3-5 lbs. Its a wierd year. Cats are slammin already. 4 of the cats had eggs! Yes, I said eggs. The water temp came up about 10 deg this last week. The place I fish is full off fish and they are all gonna spawn at once. The suckers moved in Wed and as of Fri nite I could wade the shallows and push suckers and carp right up on the bank. At first I figured the Carp moved in to eat sucker eggs. Then I found eggs in the cats. Last year the cats didn't have eggs until May and June. The suckers moved in the middle of March last year so they are 2 weeks later this year. ANYONE have any ideas????? Maybe there are 2 strains of channels from all the stocking they did after the 2000 fish kill (wild and farmed)? I usually spend mid March thru April using twisters for smalleys and sauger and don't start using cut shad until May. By, the way the last year I was catching 10 to 20 smalleys a day this time of year and now I'm lucky to catch 1 a day. Smalley's are 100% relase by my rules with people I take fishing so I know they should still be there. Anyway, the river was too high to wade Sat morn so with all this warm water coming in I should be fantastic the next few weeks. I might have to blow off the steelies and stay home this year!

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It takes a few months for the eggs to hatch.

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Jim...what part of the White River are you fishing? I fish south of Martinsville and have been pretty successful for cats, carp and suckers so far this year.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Mother nature is funny. I have seen spotted fawns in January and all through deer season. Fish seem to be no different. Guess they must know when the best time to go is.

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Fish I caught with egs 3/30

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Sorry pic was to big first time

Attached Files:

7. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    been catchin catfish for about a month now with eggs in em,waters been up this week and still rising, fishing is great on the ohio. also been catching some nice small cats (2-4#) out of a couple favorite lakes. ready for the gathering now . still got a couple more weeks to practice.lol:)

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The eggs develope for awhile before spawn is on fullmoons i think. not sure about temp.