White river flatheads ! It's about time !!!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by sam, May 22, 2008.

1. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    From one of the baitshops, this is about two days old.
    Flatheads are on the bite between Waverly and Spencer. Most fish were reported to be between 5 to 10 pounds, and a 27 pounder was fish of the day. They were released after taking a few photo's and getting them weighted into the city park pond. Baits used were live bluegill and cut baits.

2. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    U put them in a pond??

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

that was my thought too. they dont do well in ponds from what i have read. some kids will have thier lines streatched i bet. lol

4. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    I hope a 27lb flathead wasn't taken out of my home stretch of white river and put into a pond!

5. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    They do just fine in a pond, your Bluegills will get bigger:big_smile:also.

6. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    All the flaties ill seen people steel from the river had eat everthing in the pond then they float. So that in my opinion is a half ass cpr. Sorry if you all dont fell what im saying i just wish are flaty could still be growing in the river so a 27 will be a monster some day for my daughter to caught.

7. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I agree with Blazerjet. Transferring fish can also spread a disease the river fish have become immune to. This is why biologist frown on it. It is also why we have problems with Asian carp, gobies, lampreys, golden shiners, Zebra muscles and the list goes on. In addition, it spreads parasites like the black specks, worms and such. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I can understand if somebody has there on personal pond and wants to put some fish in it that they catch in other places.I just can't believe that people want to take the trophy flats out of the rivers and into the ponds.Think about it for a second.Here in indiana how many people fish ponds and catch flatheads.I bet the percentage is low.How many people fish ponds and catch channels? I bet everyone does. I compare flatheads to big monster bucks and the doe to channels.Flatheads are all we got around the indy area it would be nice if everyone just let the big ones go are we won't have anything around here but channels and alot of little flatties swimming around.Just think that 27 pound flathead was around 20 years old and now he is going to die in a pond!

9. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    I cannot control what other anglers do. I'm just passing along the report that I got.
    Happens all the time. Guys here catch them and put them in the pond. It's not just anyone person, but several of them. Seems like its always been that way around here for about as long as I can remember.
    If they catch a good one, they go get photo's and weight, and then put them there.
    I really don't think it hurts anything. The area of river that most of the bigger fish around here come from is very under-fished and rarely gets fished.

10. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Where is this City Pond?

11. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Should have released them into hot peanut oil!

12. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Maybe the dnr would like to see some of them flaties that is getting tranferred. Im sure they could take the money that u all get fined to make a new ramp to fish them under fished water. Plus theres a lot of jet now in Indiana so all waters get fished I fish all of the river never found a spot yet i cant get too.

13. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    I don't think DNR has any authority in the Martinsville city park. The pond belongs to the city and considered private property because it is owned by the city.
    In all the years I've fished this strech of the river, I have never ever seen any boats or canoe's. I'm sure you could get there if you really tried, and I do know that people can canoe it.

14. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    if u can canoe it i can run it im blazerjet 1/2 inch of water and im gone.