White River Flatheads 2020

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by treddinwater, Apr 19, 2020.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Got my first 2 of the year today! I don’t do a whole lot of Flathead fishing during the daytime, but glad to say it paid off on this trip. Brought my good luck dog with me so I’m giving her the credit haha. Both were caught on cut bluegill. AD82314E-A015-4D26-AE0D-0D58C9BD5BBB.jpeg D4CA7304-E6CE-4204-B2D1-A8E44F1DA26F.jpeg 4F63BABC-42B2-4049-8FCE-7C1C891773CC.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hey Rick, good for you. Glad to see the flatheads are biting. I knew they should be but haven't been able to get out yet this year. Thanks for the pictures. They help.

treddinwater likes this.

3. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    I hope you can make it out soon Tom! The spring weather and bite has been pretty unpredictable so far. But today was a catching day

eastforker, typer181 and twaskom like this.
  4. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Nice pair of flatties!

treddinwater likes this.
  5. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Great to see some flatties coming out if Indiana waters! Thanks for sharing the pics, Rick.
    One question, how do you keep your dog from trying to run into the water when you cast?

eastforker and treddinwater like this.
  6. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    As with any dog it takes a lot of constant reinforcement of boundaries and training when they're young, luckily she's really smart and a total people pleaser so she wasn't too difficult to train. There was definitely a learning curve the first few times I took her fishing with me years ago haha. She did like to try and snap at my baits or fish I was bringing in, also back then (and sometimes now) she would charge geese if they were around. Curiosity got the better of her once yesterday with the first flathead I landed, she came up for a close look and was greeted with a tail slap to the face. She seemed pretty disturbed about that :laugh:

7. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Went exploring last night and came across a new spot to try for some flatheads. It was tough catching bait there, only managed 4 bluegills, but I wasn't planning on staying out all night since I have work today. This spot looked promising when I arrived, there's a small eddy upstream from where I was at, the whole stretch there seemed like it was anywhere from 5-7' deep and I set up right where there were a few logs laid down and some rip rap along the bank. Threw out my first line with a live bluegill and had a bite within 2 minutes, reeled down and a pesky 3 lb channel decided to take a whole live bluegill. Dag blasted! With my limited bait it seemed like a good idea to just go to cut bait. So that's what I ended up doing. Got a head chunk out and while I was going to bait my other line I get a good run. I hook into a nice channel cat, probably 7-8 lbs but i lose him trying to get him over one of the sunken logs. I finally get both lines in the water and its immediate action on both, I lose what felt like another smaller channel. Then my other rod goes down and I bring up a pretty nice channel. I let that one go, get both lines back in the water and the action continues until about 3 minutes later I land another nice channel. The action slowed down a little bit, but about 15 minutes before I was ready to go I get a nice take down and land a pretty good flathead, I'm guessing it was about 11-12 lbs. I'll be sure to try this spot again and I'll be bringing more bait with me when I do :)

channel1.jpg channel2.jpg flathead.jpg

8. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    That's a great night of fishing Rick! Sounds like they were on fire. It's always nice to reel in a flattie :)

9. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    There was a 20-30 minute window there right around dark where the action was nonstop. I love trips like that.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  10. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
  11. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    Great looking flatties. Congratulations. I believe that dog is mans best friend.

12. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Nice fishing trip Rick!!!
    Got to love those last minute catches makes you want to stay much longer. If I caught a flattie like that I would end up staying the night. lol

13. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    The nights when I have the best action are always the nights when I have to be up early for work the next day lol.

14. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Only had one bite last night, but it was a good one! My biggest of the year so far at 17 lbs. Had a couple of hours to kill and hit a highly pressured spot close to home...and close to the truck because of the weather. I wasn't expecting much, but I'm glad I stopped there. Had 2 rods out, one with a live sunfish and another with a bluegill head. Launched the bluegill head downstream towards a downed tree and had the live sunfish in front of a little spillway overflow. The bluegill head was out maybe 3 minutes before my drag started running. Right as that fish picked up the bait the winds kicked up, blew my favorite fishing hat off, and it started to monsoon. After a nice battle I got her in the net, snapped a pic, and amazingly was able to retrieve my hat. Had a few other turtle like runs on cut bait over the next hour and then called it a night.
    monsoon flathead.jpg

15. Brown Cat Kayak

Brown Cat Kayak Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mark Templeton
    Congrats Rick a couple good days of fishing right there.

treddinwater likes this.
  16. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice catch Rick! Seems pre-spawn flatties prefer cut over live bait.
    By the way, does that jet ski have an outboard motor on it? Lol!

treddinwater likes this.
  17. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    I've noticed that too. I caught one on about an 8" golden shiner a couple of weeks ago, but the rest have all been on cut bait so far. Ha! I didn't notice that! There was some pretty interesting jet ski activity going on where I was at last night. A lot of interesting people who really seemed to have no idea what they were doing :rolleyes1:

typer181 likes this.
  18. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Nice flathead Rick. Glad you got your hat back.

19. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Nice flattie Rick!
    You look about as happy as I was with the small one I caught.
    I will definitely keep throwing bluegill heads out.

treddinwater likes this.
  20. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Me too, I've had it since my first week at Ball State 13 years ago. Caught a lot of fish with that hat on.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    pikeintheboat and twaskom like this.