White River flathead catfishing in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by rollinrooster69, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    HAS ANYONE FISHED THE WHITE RIVER IN INDIANAPOLIS FOR FLATHEADS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I fished downtown Indy a lot last year. There were a lot of smaller flatties to be had, my biggest was around 15lbs.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the Indianapolis stretch of white river is fished to death.
    There are a few dudes that can find fish worth effort, but they have jets and are able to reach remote areas of the white within the Indianapolis stretch... also- IMO, If they would cut down on the jugging etc, it would be a great help. Matter of fact, it would help all of us who fish the white anywhere. Alternative Fishing is killing white river. That and no limits.

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    There's no arguing that. This stretch of the river is fished to death. And I think with Westside being right on that part of the river it attracts a lot of people. I remember having better luck there as a child fishing with my dad than I do now.

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    2 days ago as I left work there was 5 cars right off the river by 16th st. I dont know how many on the other side, however I could count the people and there was at least a dozen of them fishing right by the dam at 16th st.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its even worse on the east fork south of bloomington. was down there a few years ago and it looked like a birthday party with all the lines hanging from the trees! snagged three trot lines in one day of fishing,without tags too. i was glad it wasnt my normal stretch of river. no way anything could survive to trophy size with all that pressure! i feel for you guys so close to commercial water.

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd like to come down and fish the White sometime...but it sounds like it may be a little crowded. May have to enlist one of you Indy boys to be a guide.

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ben, if you was to do that the only person from this board that comes to mind about the White is Shane!

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Most of the fishing I do is the stretch of the River from Broadripple north to 96th Street. If you have a boat, you can get into some really nice flatties north of the dam in Bripple. Other than that, the river in that area is wade/bank fishing only. I've got my spots...I've managed a 25lber out of the area and many others in the 15-20lb range, but if your wading/bank fishing it's going to take some time on the water to find the fish. They are there :wink:. I've never really tried off of 38th street or around downtown, as stated it does get a lot of pressure, but I would like to give it a try this summer.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah where is Shane's guide service? lol i agree he would be the man to talk to there.

11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    still tryin to get over pretty kitty catchin that channel:smile2::smile2:

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ouch :smile2:

13. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    i think white river down town has some big flat heads think people over look that river most people dont ever know that were they are fishing is 2 feet deep. Some of my best fish come from downtown. I no there are some 50 lb fish in it hell ive help boat a 44 lb and ive been broke off there more then once. Hard to bank fish for flat heads i think. This year im going to get one of them big boys got a 34 out of there last year. bigger fish there then waverly lol

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah Waverly sucks... I'd rather fish a mud hole:wink:
    The limb liners here suck too... I'd like to stick them in the same mud hole.

Maybe those downtown fish get so big eatin' on all those dead body's ya reckon? the best bait to use might be cut people :eek:oooh: lol.
    If anybody can catch downtown flatties... it's you - no doubt in my mind about that.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know there are fish in the White downtown too.. My profile pic has to Flats I caught at the 16th St. Dam Back to back.. I caught a bunch that night on nothing but Creek chubs..

The probblem is not the big ones being caught and taken out.. Its the fact that most people fishing that area use 8-10 pound test and dont understand a drag... they just try to crank them in and the line breaks and leaves the hook in their mouth... I have caught more then a few fish that have hooks in them already... So the fish are full from all the bait thrown at them. But I agree with BlazerJet... They are indeed there..

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    rotflmao @ "cut people" i can tell we would get along well. ill be laughing at that for days bro.

17. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I canoe and fish from Perkinsville to 96th. Rarely do I even see another fisherman. There really isn't any legal bank access and pretty much need a jet drive or canoe to get to it. I usually have the gravel pits to myself. Have yet to land a monster but I don't really target them. I would rather fish the peace and tranquility of this area. There are eagle in the same nest every year. Tons of deer and beaver. Lots of channels in the 5 to 10 pound range. Seen a couple 40 flats over the last couple years but most are 5 to 20. Lots of crappie too. Of course I don't set my pole down when I fish. I prefer the action instead of a long wait for the monster.

18. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Jim,

I've been down that stretch in a canoe before...never catfished it, but have done well on the smallmouth up around that area. Man, I haven't caught a crappie out of the river in years. Back before the fish kill, my dad and I used to clean up on the crappie off the rocks below the dam in Bripple.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    some of the nicest crappie I've caught... and I have caught nice ones.... have come out of the river. I find tree jams in deep calmer holes and jig vertical down in between limbs and logs.... lots of fun while waiting for flathead time.

20. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    crappies are in broadripple pretty good in the landings or the upper lake behind apple bees . Below the dam is monster smallies and flat head i have been catching greenies and punkin seed only under the damn?