white river fish kill/alge bloom

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by liplifter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    apparently this week there was a fish kill on the river from about 96th st. down where it starts to get slow.my buddy and I floated down the wknd of the 12th from noblesville to 116th st. and right behind conner prairie it started to a thick brown foam on the surface.My buddy was freaking ,he thought it was sewage but it didn't smell ata all.The nxt evening on the news they said it was a single cell alge blopm. it must have built up where the river gets wide and slow from brpadripple up about 5-6 miles and depleated the oxygen,and fish started dying.I'm gonna go down to the dam tomarrow and check the strainers to see what died.This river never gets a break.:angry:

2. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN

3. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    on the 5:00 news they said thre was on channel 6,and showed pics........

4. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    That article was from july 13th the day after I floated in hamilton county this happened a week later in Marion cty.

5. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    Indy star this morning in the metro section shows pics of dead fish.mostly around rocky ripple

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up Jon. They're unsure if its naturally happening or human activities have something to do with it. If it is a human issue...it needs to be addressed.

7. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
  8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hate to see that :sad2::angry:

9. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    a buddy of mine fished the friday night tourney last week and they launched out of riverside park in indy. he said that there were more dead suckers than you could shake a stick at. he said he didnt see any cats.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you use cut bait, there ya go.... if they were right on the lack of oxygen hypothosis and they were fresh. Personally I can't imagine an alge bloom bringing oxygen levels down to fatal levels in a flowing river....sounds like a half-assed guess to me.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sorry to hear about your river guys. i hope its not too bad.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've noticed the alge but, I ain't seen any dead fish around here.
    I swear, up in Indianapolis, if it ain't dead people in the river there- it's fish....:confused2:

13. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm in agreement with ya there. The water levels on the white river have been good all summer so far, the flow has been very steady. It's awfuly hard to accept oxygen depletion as the cause in a good fresh water flow such as the white river.

14. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL my niece lives up there in indy and found a dead homeless guy out in the woods behind her house towards the end of winter.