White river catfishing

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by CIRCLE HOOK, May 8, 2007.

1. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    Does anyone have any info on fishing the white river out of newport? Was thinking of tryin it out here in the near future and was lookin for a report. Also, I was wondering if there was any log piles and trees in the water for cover. I live 2 miles from the white, but unfortunatly in the trout waters. Thanks alot!

2. hogeye12779

hogeye12779 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I dont know the new port area of the river very well but I have fished the white around Georgetown and Des Arc. Both have scattered structure down the bank and log piles. I would figure that new port would be the same way.

3. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    KENNY JUST WONDERING WERE YOU LIV E CAUSE THERE ARE CATS IN THE COLD WATERS OF THE WHITE RIVER TO.I HAVE SEEN THEM UNDER LIGHT AT NIGHT AND EVEN CAUGHT A FEW.HAVE YOU EVER TRIED IT BY YOUR HOUSE?

4. sscreekchub91

sscreekchub91 New Member

State:
    indiana

if u r trying to catch flatts then i prefer live bait such as shad or bluegill!

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We knocked em down last Tuesday afternoon at Batesville. Took home 19, the smallest being around 3 pounds the largest just a tad under 7. Threw several pan sized ones back in.

6. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    thanks for the info guys! I live between Mt view and Calico Rock in the town (we're not on the map!) of Optimus. Boat landing is 2 miles of dirtroad past the house. I've tried catfishing a little in the trout waters. At a creek mouth one night, me and a buddy caught 9 channels, including one that straightend a 1/0 trotline hook that I had on my rod, and got away. My buddy kept 3 for cookin, I turned mine back. The next weekend, lifelong friend,and boc member Duell Robbins(Cause they're big), paddled across the river and walked/paddled upstream,(this was before we both had boats and motors!) with a homade pirogue, which basically a flat bottom canoe, that I had made. We caught several that night, and turned them all back. 3 to 5 pounders. that was about 4 years ago, and when I give it a shot anymore, all I catch is bullheads. Do they stay out in the main river? Should I concentrate more out there instead of creek mouths? There is a slough that looks awesome, and I cant do any better in there. Any tips are appreciated! I drive to the Black river, and down to Conway to fish with Dewey on the Arkansas, always looking for new places. It would be awesome to catch em at home too! Thanks again.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're going to fish the Conway area, Toadsuck is good. Start along the bluffs across from the launching ramp; be sure to hit the rockpile at the bottom of the old stairway up the bluff. As you get down towards the Bigelow launching ramp, there's a jetty on the right that runs down the river, and has a big eddy at the upper end, with a good bit of water ending up behind it. That's a good spot. Then jump over to the other side and fish on down from the green, on-land marker where there is a huge backwater area. Where the Fouche hits the Arkansas is supposed to be good, but I just haven't made it down that far yet.

8. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Last Wednesday we put in at the Martin access below Mtn. View on the White since the Arkansas at Morrillton was rollin big. May not go back to ark. river for some time. We caught 75 channels from 2 to 12lbs on light tackle using worms and enough split shot to get a slow roll or fluff action. Kept the best to eat and released the rest. Started at 2PM fishing the shaded bank slots and trash. Big bite hit at 5 till dusk in deeper holes in mid river. Ran out of bait then used some gagged up sculpin from 8lb fish caught earlier. Last two fish went 10.5 and 12 lbs. We are going back midweek with worms,bream,chubs, and live sculpins! We plan to fish like men after the big boys. Sooo, YES there are plenty of cats in that cool trout water but a little downstream from Calico Rock. Five years ago while trout fishing out of ranch access below cotter we caught a 39lb. catfish on a live sculpin that tore up that whole river. Never will forget that fish and how long sleek and mean it was. That cold water holds some great cats but they are shy and hard to predict. I think it is the gin clear water that keeps them so on guard. Try below Martin access, take a kid and plenty of worms any time in May when the White is up from generation. Call 870-431-5311 for release info then figure 24-30hrs. later for Martin access high tide time. Good luck!:wink:

9. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    ya it can even be done father up past calico and even optimus,kenny i have a bunch of kin folks that live on that road i know right were your talking about thers cats in there in my opinion fish the deepest hole you can find in the river.martin access is very good its not that far from you,wiscars is right theres alot of cats in there.there even up past where the norfork hits the white theres a hole about 3-4 miles up from the white-norfork junction called matney hole its an old campsite it can be found on some maps not in use anymore.its deep with big rocks along the shore full of catfish and eels to.and if you like small mouth tie on a gitzit and hit the bank around the big rocks there some nice ones in here.